• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#261 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:49 AM

Can't wait for the Wednesday rematch. Jackets will be pissed as hell. Could be a good game.

#262 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#263 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

^ This is amazing! Great job, Esquire!

Man. It must suck being a Blue Jackets fan.

If you manage to find one, let us know. We'll send an EdibleArrangement

The thing I'm most glad for is that Zetterberg is right around he season average. He's below it, but not drastically so (especially if he can finish with 70-73 points. So much for his drastic decline.

I had no doubts Z would come around. The real best part: remove his first month-and-a-half of the season slump (18 games, 7 points), and his play is that of an 84-point player. Better yet, if you look at his pace just the past two months (24 games, 33 points), Zetterberg is entering the playoffs playing like a 113-point player. FUN WITH MATH!

For a while some of us were forgetting the days when Z and Pavel were neck and neck for best player on the team, and both in conversation for the tops in the league. THIS is what it looked like!

Edited by b.shanafan14, 27 March 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#264 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

I had no doubts Z would come around. The real best part: remove his first month-and-a-half of the season slump (18 games, 7 points), and his play is that of an 84-point player. Better yet, if you look at his pace just the past two months (24 games, 33 points), Zetterberg is entering the playoffs playing like a 113-point player. FUN WITH MATH!

For a while some of us were forgetting the days when Z and Pavel were neck and neck for best player on the team, and both in conversation for the tops in the league. THIS is what it looked like!

Zetterberg has been nothing short of amazing in the 2nd half of the season. If not for his god-awful first 20 games or so, this would be maybe his best season since 07-08.

#265 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Yea agree with you about White, great signing. Holland's smart, he doesn't want to sign anyone on the blue line long term until Lidstrom calls it a career. Plus he's after Suter or Weber.

Every GM is after Weber or Suter, except Nashvilles.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#266 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Nyquist is here to stay, Holland would be insane to send him down. Hank is looking really great this last little bit!!
IPB Image

#267 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

God damn I hope Holland doesn't get into a bidding war for either one of those guys. I'd hate to end up with a 7.5 or 8 million dollar cap hit for those guys when we don't really need an 8 million dollar defenseman, when a 5.5 or 6 million dollar guy would do just as well.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#268 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

God damn I hope Holland doesn't get into a bidding war for either one of those guys. I'd hate to end up with a 7.5 or 8 million dollar cap hit for those guys when we don't really need an 8 million dollar defenseman, when a 5.5 or 6 million dollar guy would do just as well.

Normally I would agree with you. But when you're replacing the best defenseman to play the game, you don't just find an "acceptable" band-aid. I'm usually a fan of building teams in an understated way, but once in a while you do have to go out and grab the big name superstar. Weber or Suter would fit that bill. So would a few other players in the league, but those obviously have the most attention on them.

We shouldn't overpay, like with Wiz, but you've got to pay for quality. If they are among the best defensemen in the league you have to pay them like it.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#269 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

Normally I would agree with you. But when you're replacing the best defenseman to play the game, you don't just find an "acceptable" band-aid. I'm usually a fan of building teams in an understated way, but once in a while you do have to go out and grab the big name superstar. Weber or Suter would fit that bill. So would a few other players in the league, but those obviously have the most attention on them.

We shouldn't overpay, like with Wiz, but you've got to pay for quality. If they are among the best defensemen in the league you have to pay them like it.

Well when you consider that Brent Burns agreed to a contract extension with the Sharks for 5.7 million and he's as good as Suter and not much worse than Weber, I don't see how someone can justify paying either of them 7.5 or 8. Nobody is going to be as good as Lidstrom, so what I want is someone who's first class, but who's not the current media darling. Weber and Suter will go high, just like Parise will go high, not because they're SO much better than everyone else, but mostly because they're good enough that people will get into bidding wars for them.

Other top flight defensemen with good contracts include Yandle, D. Keith, Pietrangelo, Letang. I'm hoping that will be the model for Holland in terms of quality of player and contract size. I just don't want to see them give out some Drew Doughty sized contract to guys who aren't all that much, if any, better than the guys I've listed here.

Edited by kipwinger, 27 March 2012 - 11:48 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#270 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Well when you consider that Brent Burns agreed to a contract extension with the Sharks for 5.7 million and he's as good as Suter and not much worse than Weber, I don't see how someone can justify paying either of them 7.5 or 8. Nobody is going to be as good as Lidstrom, so what I want is someone who's first class, but who's not the current media darling. Weber and Suter will go high, just like Parise will go high, not because they're SO much better than everyone else, but mostly because they're good enough that people will get into bidding wars for them.

I completely disagree. Brent Burns is nowhere near the class of Ryan Suter or Shea Weber. Those two aren't "media darlings" -- they get attention because they are the best shutdown pairing in the league.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#271 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

Don't think of it as going out and getting Suter or Weber. Think of it as doing the best we can to replace Nick.

"Lidstrom insurance."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#272 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

I completely disagree. Brent Burns is nowhere near the class of Ryan Suter or Shea Weber. Those two aren't "media darlings" -- they get attention because they are the best shutdown pairing in the league.

This is what I mean. You say that Burns isn't in the same class as Suter. Based on what? Burns plays comparable minutes, has comparable points, more goals, higher shooting percentage, and an equally respectable +/-, and managed to do it all without playing beside Shea Weber and Rinne standing on his head every night. You just assume Suter is that good because everyone talks about him as if he's the best defenseman in the league, instead of the best defenseman in his UFA class. They're a really good shutdown pair who play in front of one of the best two goalies in the league. Ryan Suter is good, but he's not two million dollars better than Burns, Yandle, Keith, or Letang, and yet he'll get that kind of money. Again, why pay out 7.5 or 8 million dollars to a guy when you can get someone as good, or almost as good for 6?

#273 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Any chance a mod can move these last 5 or 10 posts into a new thread about a defensive replacement. It might just be me, but I think it's an interesting debate (Best D-man vs. Best Value for D-man) but nobody will be looking for it here?