• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Happy Turtle Day

Rate this topic

:lol:

I'll never forget that nice unseasonably warm sunny day (kinda like what we're experiencing now)...Went to the gym; had a great work out (mind you I had the game on my mind, and thinking how much I detested evrything about the Avs only intensified my time at the gym)...Went to my parents (was dog sitting) to walk the pooch for a good hour (wanted him tuckered out so I could watch the game without any interruptions)...My buddy (die-hard Flyers fan) came over as well as my lil'sister (because of my influence she became a Wings fan); ordered some take out pizza, and picked up a case of beer for the game.

What a night that was :thumbup:

Great story :thumbup:

Unfortunately, I was in 2nd grade at the time and this was before I was a full-time Wings fan, so I never got to experience watching this live.

I didn't even have cable back then, and could only get a couple of channels with a fuzzy picture. None carried hockey. I remember seeing this game for the first time in its entirety. After reading Blood Feud, and after seeing video clips, it was like seeing a piece of history unfold. Amazing.

Seeing video clips still gives me the warm fuzzies.

That night was about making a statment and I think the Avs heard it loud and clear. What a night that was, I didn't go to sleep till after 2AM that night becasue I was still so hocked up with adrenaline. That was just so great to see, I don't have to see any fights in a game to call it a great game but that night was special and it NEEDED to happen!! The Road To The 1st Of 4 Stanley Cups in Recent History!!!!

Go Wings!!!!

My Dad and I have always shared our closest connection through Red Wings hockey and I remember watching this with him. I was 10 when this happened and we were both so ready for this. The year before was my first full season as a Wings fan and I think this is the moment that cemented my fandom. I remember being so distraught by the Kris Draper injury and the Red Wings' playoff exit the year before and this was the sort of 'good guys win' poetic justice I needed back then.

This, the '97, and the '08 Stanley Cups are my greatest memories of Red Wings hockey.

The NHL Network just had a Top Ten NHL Rivalries program yesterday, the Wings/Avs were 4. Of course the played footage from Drapers injury and 3/26/97 and its still tears me up a bit. Despite the great teams of 95 and 96, this is what gave the Wings dynasty their identity and pushed them over the hump end route to Lord Stanley's Cup. I still love the Wings and watch nearly every game good or bad, but teams since have been missing the swagger that ensemble had. Our team needs a rallying point!

Thanks SO much for putting this on here. I too saw it live (ah, the wondrous days of Clement and Thorne and ESPN), and it lives in my mind like it was yesterday. I still pull that DVD out on my bad days or during a Wings' bad run. Or if it's a sunny Monday in Texas! :lol:

Man, I was a senior in high school. I was still PISSED about what happend in the the playoffs the year before. A few of the fellas came over to watch the game. We took a some big time bong rips!!!! We were yelling so loud when #25 did his thing the lady who lived next door called the cops. The cops were extra pissed cause I did not come to the door when they showed up. After a bunch a bad noise they told me to keep it down and have a good night and I did!!! Great game!!!!!! I love The Red Wings!!!!!

Edited by crispychris

Well, I just turned 27 two weeks earlier and my friend (I've known since we were 12) calls up and says, hey I got a birthday gift for you, let's go to the hockey game tonight. He wasn't and still isn't the biggest Wings fan, I told him it may be a bad game to go to since the Wings haven't beat the Av's yet all season, but I am not going to pass up on a Wings game. Well, you guys don't need to be told about it, you have all lived it in one way or another...my favorite part of this whole game is when the brawl happened with Vernon, the Wings were losing and my friend looked at me and said, I don't even care if they lose this game, this is the best game I have ever been to! And so it was Dave, and so it was! It is still one of the best birthday gifts ever!

EDIT: Jeez! at 5:37 of that video look at how young Holmstrom looks! Yikes! I like him in 15 better than 96...wish he would have kept it!

Edited by LeftWinger

Well, I just turned 27 two weeks earlier and my friend (I've known since we were 12) calls up and says, hey I got a birthday gift for you, let's go to the hockey game tonight. He wasn't and still isn't the biggest Wings fan, I told him it may be a bad game to go to since the Wings haven't beat the Av's yet all season, but I am not going to pass up on a Wings game. Well, you guys don't need to be told about it, you have all lived it in one way or another...my favorite part of this whole game is when the brawl happened with Vernon, the Wings were losing and my friend looked at me and said, I don't even care if they lose this game, this is the best game I have ever been to! And so it was Dave, and so it was! It is still one of the best birthday gifts ever!

EDIT: Jeez! at 5:37 of that video look at how young Holmstrom looks! Yikes! I like him in 15 better than 96...wish he would have kept it!

Bowman - "Why did you change your number to 96?"

Holmstrom - "It's the year I came to the NHL from Sweden."

Bowman - "Better change it to 97 because it's the year you're going back."

The single best game ever. Had everything anyone could want in a hockey game. Tons of goals, big hits, a huge brawl, blood. I mean that game was the definition of hatred. We don't see many rivalries last in the NHL anymore, since players come and go more often through free agency it seems. I want to get one of those plaques with McCarty pummeling on Claude as he is turtling. I really miss those teams from years ago. Happy Turtle Day LGW! :boxing:

I was in second grade so my parents shoved me off to my grandma's house while they went to the game. I remember watching it and seeing fighting but it was kind of blurry. I remember watching the hit on Draper in the previous year and my mom explained the situation to my brother and me and made us say a prayer every night for like a week. And she made sure that we knew about dirty Claude Lemeiux. In our little minds we thought he was a monster or something. And I remember getting really excited it was like McCarty was superman. And then my mom got me a McCarty t-shirt that is so worn out and disgusting by now but I still wear it...and I always wear it on March 26th. It was down to my knees then but it fits me now. I used to try to wear it every day to school, but she kept saying no because it was so long and it looked like I had no pants on!!!

Happy Turtle Day. I too remember watching the game on ESPN. Here in PA it was rare for Wings games to be televised so if they were on I went out of my way to watch it. A couple friends came over and we were pigging out on steak, chicken spiedies, and bacon since we thought something big was going to happen, based on how the season series had gone up to that point. Hearing Clement and Thorne getting into the call fired us up, and once the brawl erupted, we got VERY loud. The landlord came up to see what was going on in time to see the replay and was surprisingly chill about things.

I have the Wings DVD set that has the 1997-2002 cup wins and that game is also in it. I think that will be the pregame vid tonight. Thanks for the reminders of a great game.

I was almost seven when this game happened; watched it at home with my dad, and its earliest clear sports related memory that I have.

I still end up watching this video every couple of months when I decide to kill time watching hockey clips on youtube.

Well living outside Toronto, the game wasn't on TV, and being 1997 I couldn't watch it online. The next day in the Toronto paper there was a picture of Lemieux turtling and Mac ready to punch him again, I cut it out and put it on my wall... 15 years later and I still hate Lemieux's guts!

Who knows if we'd have 4 cups if that night didn't happen. It made us who we are today!

1997 was DMac's year! He got Lemieux and scored the GWG in Game 4.