• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,958 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

I always forget that Larionov of all people started the brawl.

:lol:
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#22 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

I was in second grade so my parents shoved me off to my grandma's house while they went to the game. I remember watching it and seeing fighting but it was kind of blurry. I remember watching the hit on Draper in the previous year and my mom explained the situation to my brother and me and made us say a prayer every night for like a week. And she made sure that we knew about dirty Claude Lemeiux. In our little minds we thought he was a monster or something. And I remember getting really excited it was like McCarty was superman. And then my mom got me a McCarty t-shirt that is so worn out and disgusting by now but I still wear it...and I always wear it on March 26th. It was down to my knees then but it fits me now. I used to try to wear it every day to school, but she kept saying no because it was so long and it looked like I had no pants on!!!

#23 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

Happy Turtle Day. I too remember watching the game on ESPN. Here in PA it was rare for Wings games to be televised so if they were on I went out of my way to watch it. A couple friends came over and we were pigging out on steak, chicken spiedies, and bacon since we thought something big was going to happen, based on how the season series had gone up to that point. Hearing Clement and Thorne getting into the call fired us up, and once the brawl erupted, we got VERY loud. The landlord came up to see what was going on in time to see the replay and was surprisingly chill about things.

I have the Wings DVD set that has the 1997-2002 cup wins and that game is also in it. I think that will be the pregame vid tonight. Thanks for the reminders of a great game.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#24 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Best part Mickey was on his way down stairs for intermission. Missed the whole thing. FTW.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#25 cvv8

cvv8

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

I was almost seven when this game happened; watched it at home with my dad, and its earliest clear sports related memory that I have.

I still end up watching this video every couple of months when I decide to kill time watching hockey clips on youtube.

#26 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

I was there - Here's my ticket. I was 11. I remember saying the words "Dad, is that blood on the boards"

Attached Files

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk, 26 March 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#27 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Well living outside Toronto, the game wasn't on TV, and being 1997 I couldn't watch it online. The next day in the Toronto paper there was a picture of Lemieux turtling and Mac ready to punch him again, I cut it out and put it on my wall... 15 years later and I still hate Lemieux's guts!

Who knows if we'd have 4 cups if that night didn't happen. It made us who we are today!

1997 was DMac's year! He got Lemieux and scored the GWG in Game 4.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#28 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

97 was such an amazing year. This game, the Cup, and nWo running wild in wrestling.

#29 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

97 was such an amazing year. This game, the Cup, and nWo running wild in wrestling.

...DAMN!!!
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#30 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Crazy what happens in 15 years. No more pay per view hockey... no more hate for Colorado, no more fights like this, no more amazing stories.

Yeah the only guys that are still around from the rivalry are Lidstrom and Holmstrom for Detroit, and Hejduk for Colorado, but he didn't break into the league until the late '90s, I believe. With the way free agency is, guys coming and going, it is gonna be hard for a rivalry like that to brew and continue for as long as theirs did. It is safe to say the rivalry is dead.

I'd love to see the rivalry get re-ignited, but it'll be a lot less likely for it to last these days. The key to developing rivalries: Playoff series
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#31 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Nice, I wish I could +1 this 100 times :thumbup:

#NOMOREKINDL

#32 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

Did DMAC ever get suspended for kneeing Turtle while he was against the boards?

I was just getting into the Wings during those years so I'm not sure what the aftermath was.

I would kill to go to a game like that. People that were there witnessed one hell of a game that night.

#33 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

I'm still a firm believer that had this game not happened the way it did, the Wings dont win the Cup that year.

I too watched the game live from my living room. I was a junior in highschool. To this day, I have never watched a more exciting sporting event....ever. As mentioned, this was good 'ol hockey the way it used to be. Back in the day of Stevie Y and the Russian Five, Lapointe, Dmac in his prime, etc.

Unfortunately the NHL will never be the same as it was back then, but at least we have memories of games like this one to bring us back! The '96-'97 Detroit Red Wings is, and probably always will be, my favorite sports team/season of all time, for obvious reasons.

Man, I can still remember like it was yesterday, sitting there after Dmac's goal in OT, in complete amazement at what I had just witnessed....THE BEST GAME EVER.

Edited by Copenhagen848, 26 March 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#34 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

Miss those days...

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#35 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

Did DMAC ever get suspended for kneeing Turtle while he was against the boards?

I was just getting into the Wings during those years so I'm not sure what the aftermath was.

I would kill to go to a game like that. People that were there witnessed one hell of a game that night.

Actually, he didn't even get kicked out of the game. After he scored the GWG, Devorski, told Mac that he owed Devorski a game.

Good old days, them was.

#36 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

I was in such a great mood this morning, had to watch it again!! To this day I still have no repsect for the Turtle and never will
IPB Image