• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Just to keep everyone in the know, the Wings and Griffins have extended Amatuer Try-Outs to a handful of our prospects. All should be familiar names:

Oulette
Sproul
Almqvist
Sheahan

Griffin games are getting even more exciting now.

Sheahan has looked awesome thus far, so I recommend everyone to catch a game or two before seasons end.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#2 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Almqvist should be interesting. Last I heard he was still too small but the talent is intriguing. I hope he can be one of the rare dmen who thrive despite their small size.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#3 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Almqvist should be interesting. Last I heard he was still too small but the talent is intriguing. I hope he can be one of the rare dmen who thrive despite their small size.

Like Raffi?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#4 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

I thought Ouellet's team is still in the playoffs?

#5 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Oullette did get an AMO but is about to advance in the playoffs.

AA is perhaps the most intriguing to me

Also, Quine's name can be added to that list. I think he's even playing tonight
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#6 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Oullette did get an AMO but is about to advance in the playoffs.

AA is perhaps the most intriguing to me

Also, Quine's name can be added to that list. I think he's even playing tonight

I knew I forgot someone. And yes XO's team (and yes it is Xavier's team since he is team captain and carrying that team) just advanced in the playoffs.

A2 is not small. He's 5'11" and 175. He is playing with the Griffins next year full time and should be able to add another 10-15 pounds to his frame.

Sproul and Smith are going to be a treat to watch on the PP :)
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#7 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

I knew I forgot someone. And yes XO's team (and yes it is Xavier's team since he is team captain and carrying that team) just advanced in the playoffs.

A2 is not small. He's 5'11" and 175. He is playing with the Griffins next year full time and should be able to add another 10-15 pounds to his frame.

Yeah, the Armada are looking like a force right now and Oullette is racking up some points.

I've always had a soft spot for AA. I really hope the size thing is overblown. RWC has him listed at 5'10 and 175lbs which really isn't bad. but it all comes down to how much strength he has. I think we may see his point production be quite good in GR.

I want to catch the Griffs on Friday. That's going to be sweet. I really like Sproul as well. I think the Wings' D prospects are severely underrated when you consider Smith, Oullette, Sproul, AA, Jensen, and Backman. Only Smith is NHL close but when you consider Marchenko and Marshall as well they have a lot to look foward to.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#8 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, this would make the Griffins a bunch more fun to watch... How long has it been since this many good prospects were on the team at the same time???

It's almost like the Monarchs out there! :yowza:

Almqvist will be the slowest to develop but could be amazing. My two cents.

Edited by Majsheppard, 26 March 2012 - 02:52 PM.

"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#9 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

5'11, 175 should not be used in the same sentence as the words not small. The guy is seriously small for an NHL defenseman.

With all these dmen heading to Grand Rapids I wonder if Sheahan will still man the point on the PP, especially with Smith coming back. I have a feeling Lashoff and Pyett will see their PP time gone which is a good thing

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#10 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

5'11, 175 should not be used in the same sentence as the words not small. The guy is seriously small for an NHL defenseman.

With all these dmen heading to Grand Rapids I wonder if Sheahan will still man the point on the PP, especially with Smith coming back. I have a feeling Lashoff and Pyett will see their PP time gone which is a good thing

If 5'11" is small then how do we classify Ben Marshall?

#11 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

And since when did 5'11" become small? He's not tiny, but he's not big. Once he fills out in a year or two he'll be knocking on 6 foot and 190.

And I agree with Pyett and Lashoff. They are brutal.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#12 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

And since when did 5'11" become small? He's not tiny, but he's not big. Once he fills out in a year or two he'll be knocking on 6 foot and 190.

And I agree with Pyett and Lashoff. They are brutal.

5'11 is considered small for a forward but not too bad. But for a defenseman thats ridiculously small. Ian White and Enstrom are probably the only 2 d men in the league that size but they both have good foot speed. That small while being slow like Almquist isnt a good combo. Hopefully his speed improves, and he does grow a bit or else I dont see him being an NHLer.

Nedommlel is also joining the griffins

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#13 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Don't pay much attention to the minors, do we have any realistic expectations for any of these guys, or is it too early to tell?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#14 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Don't pay much attention to the minors, do we have any realistic expectations for any of these guys, or is it too early to tell?

Sproul has a legit chance someday to make the Wings. XO just win best defender in the Q. A2 has a chance to be a 4-5 tweener because of his high hockey IQ. Quine looks like a Chris Connor clone. If Big Ned works on his defense he will be a fan favorite in Detroit in no time.

Sheahan looks like he will be a very good third liner someday.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#15 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

the deal was that almquist wasn't getting the minutes he needed in his other team and holland wants to see what he can do if he is given power play time and more minutes. it was felt that his potential was being wasted on his past team.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#16 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Sproul has a legit chance someday to make the Wings. XO just win best defender in the Q. A2 has a chance to be a 4-5 tweener because of his high hockey IQ. Quine looks like a Chris Connor clone. If Big Ned works on his defense he will be a fan favorite in Detroit in no time.

Sheahan looks like he will be a very good third liner someday.

Did they announce Xavier won? I saw he was nominated but not that he had actually been awarded it. Ouellet is the one I have highest hopes for, he will be the top dman in the Q next year and hopefully be on team Canada. Sproul also has potential but he is much more raw so I'm not sure. He could be on Canada next year as well.

Quine is bigger than Connor so he will be more effective at a similar style of game I think. He also has a team Canada chance.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#17 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,816 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

Just to keep everyone in the know, the Wings and Griffins have extended Amatuer Try-Outs to a handful of our prospects. All should be familiar names:

Oulette
Sproul
Almqvist
Sheahan

Griffin games are getting even more exciting now.

Sheahan has looked awesome thus far, so I recommend everyone to catch a game or two before seasons end.

Didn't I read today that Oulette and Sproul have signed with the organization? Sheahan was very impressive all year long with ND and I expect more to come from him! I remember back when on one of the days that we were discussing players that you would absolutely not trade, I always included Sheahan. I think he is going to be a beast once he breaks Detroit's lineup, maybe not exactly like, but almost like Brendan Shanahan type player...given the right players to play with...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#18 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

5'11 is considered small for a forward but not too bad. But for a defenseman thats ridiculously small. Ian White and Enstrom are probably the only 2 d men in the league that size but they both have good foot speed. That small while being slow like Almquist isnt a good combo. Hopefully his speed improves, and he does grow a bit or else I dont see him being an NHLer.

kronner is listed as 6'0 190lbs and ian white is 5'10 191lbs. i think size could be less of an issue than you think in this case. if he comes close to 6 feet and 190lbs his size will not be what keeps him out of the nhl.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#19 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Didn't I read today that Oulette and Sproul have signed with the organization? Sheahan was very impressive all year long with ND and I expect more to come from him! I remember back when on one of the days that we were discussing players that you would absolutely not trade, I always included Sheahan. I think he is going to be a beast once he breaks Detroit's lineup, maybe not exactly like, but almost like Brendan Shanahan type player...given the right players to play with...

Either you're completely undervaluing Shanny or overvaluing Sheahan.
  • Nev likes this
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#20 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,077 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Is that the big physical d-man we drafted last year? Hopefully him and Sheahan raise a little hell in the minors. Good to see all these top prospects playing in GR as the season winds down.

#NOMOREKINDL