• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Early Off-Season Thread

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Franzen(4.0)-Datsyuk(6.7)-Bertuzzi(2.1)

Nyquist(0.9)-Zetterberg(6.1)-Filppula(3.0)

Cleary(2.8)-Helm(0.9, *RFA*)-Abdelkader(0.8, *RFA*)

Miller(0.8)-Emmerton(0.5)-Eaves(1.2)

Mursak(0.5)

Kronwall(4.8)-White(2.9)

Smith(0.9)-Ericsson(3.3)

Quincey(3.1, *RFA*)-Kindl(0.9)

Howard(2.3)

MacDonald(0.6)

*15.4 mil in cap space

FA's: Hudler(2.9), Holmstrom(1.9), Lidstrom(6.2), Stuart(3.8)

THAT team, with 21 men on the roster, still has a little less than 15.4 mil in cap space (assuming that Quincey, Helm and Abdelkader - our RFA's - don't get HUGE raises).

I'm guessing that Parise's going to want about as much as Datsyuk (6.7-ish), and I'm guessing that Suter's going to want as much as Lidstrom (6.2-ish). So, the two of them together are going to cost us about 12.9 mil-ish.

...If Lidstrom retires, and we have a little less than 15.4 mil in cap space with 21 men on the roster, we should be able to get both, no problem.

...If Lidstrom returns (at about the same price), and we have a little less than 9.2 mil in cap space with 22 men on the roster, we should still be able to get one, no problem.

...Is it possible to get BOTH Parise and Suter if Lidstrom returns? a little more than 3.7 mil in cap space will need to be cleared.

...If we can move Cleary (2.8 mil), and we let Quincey walk (3.1 mil) - sad, but probably the right move - we'll have more than enough to get both, and THIS could be our team next season:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Parise

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Filppula

Abdelkader-Helm-Bertuzzi

Miller-Emmerton-Eaves

Mursak

Tatar

Lidstrom-Suter

Kronwall-White

Smith-Ericsson

Kindl

Howard

MacDonald

Edited by blueadams

Franzen(4.0)-Datsyuk(6.7)-Bertuzzi(2.1)

Nyquist(0.9)-Zetterberg(6.1)-Filppula(3.0)

Cleary(2.8)-Helm(0.9, *RFA*)-Abdelkader(0.8, *RFA*)

Miller(0.8)-Emmerton(0.5)-Eaves(1.2)

Mursak(0.5)

Kronwall(4.8)-White(2.9)

Smith(0.9)-Ericsson(3.3)

Quincey(3.1, *RFA*)-Kindl(0.9)

Howard(2.3)

MacDonald(0.6)

*15.4 mil in cap space

FA's: Hudler(2.9), Holmstrom(1.9), Lidstrom(6.2), Stuart(3.8)

THAT team, with 21 men on the roster, still has a little less than 15.4 mil in cap space (assuming that Quincey, Helm and Abdelkader - our RFA's - don't get HUGE raises).

I'm guessing that Parise's going to want about as much as Datsyuk (6.7-ish), and I'm guessing that Suter's going to want as much as Lidstrom (6.2-ish). So, the two of them together are going to cost us about 12.9 mil-ish.

...If Lidstrom retires, and we have a little less than 15.4 mil in cap space with 21 men on the roster, we should be able to get both, no problem.

...If Lidstrom returns (at about the same price), and we have a little less than 9.2 mil in cap space with 22 men on the roster, we should still be able to get one, no problem.

...Is it possible to get BOTH Parise and Suter if Lidstrom returns? a little more than 3.7 mil in cap space will need to be cleared.

...If we can move Cleary (2.8 mil), and we let Quincey walk (3.1 mil) - sad, but probably the right move - we'll have more than enough to get both, and THIS could be our team next season:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Parise

Tatar-Filppula-Abdelkader

Miller-Helm-Eaves

Emmerton

Mursak

Lidstrom-Suter

Kronwall-White

Smith-Ericsson

Kindl

Howard

MacDonald

Dude, I'm really trying not to be a dick here but sometime I have to wonder where you get this stuff. 1. Nyquist will not play in the top six over Filppula next season. 2. Barring injury, Smith will not be on the top two defensive pairings at all next season. 3. The team will resign Quincey. 4. Detroit will not sign Suter AND Parise if Lidstrom doesn't retire (in fact, they probably won't sign both of them anyway). 4. Helm and Miller (who's coming off a career season) are not going to get demoted after working themselves into bigger roles. 5. Where's Cleary, since when did the Wings just start trading good team guys and locker room leaders for nothing?

I hope this is just some sort of strange wish list, and not that you actually think any of this is realistic?

Edited by kipwinger

Parise we should go hard after, and Kennys a wizard with the cap so I'm not worried about him getting a contract that'll handcuff us. I don't think the Wings will let Quincey go or trade Cleary, we're a better team with them then without them, and people don't seem to realize how much salary cap flexibility we have going into the offseason, it's a year to load up and become more balanced rather then run guys out of town.

Here's the thing, why push hard for Parise when he will easily go between 7-8 million. I know he's really good and can score around 40 goals, but do we really need a 40 goal guy? Wouldn't we be just as well off with another 25-30 goal scorer to fill out the top six and save the extra money. Basically, I'm thinking about someone like Montreal got in Erik Cole last season, or Pittsburgh has in Neal.

Edited by kipwinger

Here's the thing, why push hard for Parise when he will easily go between 7-8 million. I know he's really good and can score around 40 goals, but do we really need a 40 goal guy? Wouldn't we be just as well off with another 25-30 goal scorer to fill out the top six and save the extra money. Basically, I'm thinking about someone like Montreal got in Erik Cole last season, or Pittsburgh has in Neal.

Ummm?.. :blink: .......yeah we do.

Who doesn't?

And I wouldn't use Montreal as a good example of what we need to do. It's poor salesmanship.

And Neal was obtained in a trade. We don't have any assets to trade, in order for someone to give us a young goal scorer with high potential, like a Neal. No one wants our old guys and we already traded our top pick.

Get a player like Parise at all costs.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Who doesn't?

And I wouldn't use Montreal as a good example of what we need to do. It's poor salesmanship.

Jesus, you're entirely beside the point. You can't have an all star at every position, and go look at Cole's numbers if you think Montreal didn't make a good decision on that one. Unless you think his 30 goals and 25 assists (on a s***ty team) isn't worth our time. Parise only has 30 goals and 34 assists. Is it really worth spending 3-3.5 million extra for ten more points? And let's not even compare Neal and Parise.

Jesus, you're entirely beside the point. You can't have an all star at every position, and go look at Cole's numbers if you think Montreal didn't make a good decision on that one. Unless you think his 30 goals and 25 assists (on a s***ty team) isn't worth our time. Parise only has 30 goals and 34 assists. Is it really worth spending 3-3.5 million extra for ten more points? And let's not even compare Neal and Parise.

Ovechkin hasn't scored many points this season either. That doesn't mean he's not miles above Erik Cole. You can't just look at stats and say this guy is only 10 points better than that guy.

Parise in my book is one of the 10 best players in hockey. Especially when you put him on a line with a Datsyuk potentially. He plays harder than a Franzen or Hudler do on a nightly basis.

And we don't have All stars at each position. Far from it.

Also, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi and Cleary are old and none will likely be around in two seasons. If you get a chance to obtain a superstar winger for big money, and you have the cap space with Lidstrom and Stuart potentially leaving, then you have to pull the trigger. Holland didn't spend money in the offseason nor at the deadline. What's the point of keeping all this cap space around? I thought he was doing it for a Parise or Suter.

Who doesn't?

Well it's not THAT preposterous. It is plausible that the Wings could be that much better of a team if they solidify the bottom six with one or two players who really know what they're doing. They've had to be patient with the bottom six youth movement and gradual and still ongoing growth process of Helm, Abdelkader, Miller, Eaves, etc. It'd be nice if they had a guy in his prime who can lead the bottom six and provide some stability and a calming presence the way Lidstrom does for the entire team. Draper used to be that guy and it looks like the Wings are waiting for one of Helm/Abdelkader/etc to grow into that role instead of acquiring someone.

The Wings will undoubtedly be a much more dangerous team with a guy like Parise. But the Wings are also good enough that they don't desperately need a 40 goal scorer and can solidify themselves as one of the handful of top elite teams in the league if they make significantly effective improvements in other areas.

Well it's not THAT preposterous. It is plausible that the Wings could be that much better of a team if they solidify the bottom six with one or two players who really know what they're doing. They've had to be patient with the bottom six youth movement and gradual and still ongoing growth process of Helm, Abdelkader, Miller, Eaves, etc. It'd be nice if they had a guy in his prime who can lead the bottom six and provide some stability and a calming presence the way Lidstrom does for the entire team. Draper used to be that guy and it looks like the Wings are waiting for one of Helm/Abdelkader/etc to grow into that role instead of acquiring someone.

The Wings will undoubtedly be a much more dangerous team with a guy like Parise. But the Wings are also good enough that they don't desperately need a 40 goal scorer and can solidify themselves as one of the handful of top elite teams in the league if they make significantly effective improvements in other areas.

Yeah, but it's easier to find good 3rd/4th liners, than it is to find a great sniper or power forward who can score goals.

If Holland wasn't sleeping this offseason or last, we could have acquired some good bottom liners like a David Clarkson or Eric Nystrom, both of whom are having great seasons. And they wouldn't really cost that much. Those type of players are available every year if we just act on it.

But players like Parise aren't around that often. Last year, the only such player was Brad Richards. I think the idea of playing with Datsyuk or Zetterberg could entice Parise. Of course there will be other teams after him, but I think we should definitely throw our names in the hat.

Exactly, we're not THAT much better with Parise and Suter than we'd be with guys like Brent Burns and James Neal. I know that neither of those guys are available right now, but I just mean those types of players. And what's best is that you wouldn't have to pay as much for those guys and still get similar production. I'd rather sign guys like that and have money left over than chase the highest priced guys on the market and not have any wiggle room.

We have no idea how much cap space there will be. I have read everywhere from 6 million more in cap space to the cap going down by 25%. The CBA will dictate that more than anything else, and really we don't know what will happen with that. I suspect that Suter would be added no matter what... I don't know about anyone else.

Guest blueadams

15.4 mil in cap space going into the off-season with 21 players on the roster...

1) Let Quincey walk (+3.3mil), 18.7 mil in cap space.

2) Trade Cleary (+2.8mil), 21.5 mil in cap space.

3) Sign Lidstrom (-6.2mil), 15.3 mil in cap space.

4) Sign Parise (-7.0mil), 8.3 mil in cap space.

5) Sign Suter (-7.0mil), 1.3 mil in cap space.

...it most definitely can be done (and if anything, the cap will go up). THIS could be our team next season:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Parise

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Filppula

Abdelkader-Helm-Bertuzzi

Miller-Emmerton-Eaves

Mursak

Tatar (or a 1.3 mil grinder?)

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Suter

Smith-Ericsson

Kindl

Howard

MacDonald

Did someone say that they don't want to have THAT team because "Cleary is so valuable!?"

Give me a f-ing break dude.

IDK how you think letting RFA Quincey go is smart considering we just gave a 1st round pick for him and he has to play for us next season.

Parise and Suter are not top priorities for Holland, just for CapGeeks.

I'll bet a ticket to the Winter Classic we don't sign both, and we would be lucky to just get one, I highly doubt we will get either.

Why has no one considered that Suter may want to play for Chicago or Calgary or hell, Nashville?

Last of all, plenty of time for this thread between the draft and next season, when we actually know WTH is going to happen with half the team.

That said, if we win the cup and Cleary or Q did amazing in the playoffs your plan is shot to hell.

Patience grasshoppa.

Let's get real people, Holland is never going to trade Cleary. I wish he would, but it's never going to happen. I'll be surprised if Holland doesn't resign him (again, I hate to say to say it).

If Lidstrom retires (he won't), then Suter is a lock.

We will resign Quincey.

We NEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD top 6 talent. We have 3 solid top 6 players who can be counted on game in game out. Franzen is a toss up, who knows what the hell he'll bring. The point is, he can't be counted on. Bertuzzi will obviously play in the top 6. We need a good UFA signing. Parise is perfect and he have the space to sign me. He'd probably take Datsyuk money. I base this off nothing.

Then hopefully we can sign Gaustad or someone for the bottom 6.

Let's get real people, Holland is never going to trade Cleary. I wish he would, but it's never going to happen. I'll be surprised if Holland doesn't resign him (again, I hate to say to say it).

We will resign Quincey.

We NEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD top 6 talent. We have 3 solid top 6 players who can be counted on game in game out. Franzen is a toss up, who knows what the hell he'll bring. The point is, he can't be counted on. Bertuzzi will obviously play in the top 6. We need a good UFA signing. Parise is perfect and he have the space to sign me. He'd probably take Datsyuk money. I base this off nothing.

lol

I don't think remaining cap space is Holland's primary criteria when considering acquisitions. If that were the case, we'd have probably shelled out the cash for Jagr this off-season. I really think for Holland, it's more about value -- Am I getting what I paid for? Pretty much every move he makes is a steal, because, well, those are the only moves he cares to make.

To this end, I really don't see Holland moving on a Parise or Suter this off-season. While they are likely amongst the best players available, the media salivating over them and the way GMs blow cap space these days pretty much ensures they won't be a good value. Of course, there is always some chance -- perhaps Parise really wants to play in Detroit.

I can't believe the hype that surrounded Paul fricken Gaustad on deadline day.

Edited by sean

We will resign Quincey.

Continuity is the reason this team has made the playoffs 21 years in a row.

Good players is the reason this team has made the playoffs 21 seasons in a row.

To this end, I really don't see Holland moving on a Parise or Suter this off-season. While they are likely amongst the best players available, the media salivating over them and the way GMs blow cap space these days pretty much ensures they won't be a good value. Of course, there is always some chance -- perhaps Parise really wants to play in Detroit.

Remember a guy named Marian Hossa?

By the time we've re-signed Lidstrom, Quincey, Abdelkader and Helm, and released Hudler, Stuart and Holmstrom, we have about $8m left in cap space which gives us a shot at only one of Parise and Suter.