• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GSBrooks13

Wings ranked No.14 in NHL Power Rankings..

Rate this topic

So.. I don't normally even look at NHL.com articles because they are generally crap anyways.. but this one was brought to my attention since the free press mentioned it..

Heres the free press article which links to the NHL article - http://www.freep.com/article/20120328/SPORTS05/120328004/1053/sports05

Now.. I am not gonna be biased and say the Wings should be number 1 with how they had slumped recently, but to not even put them in the top 10 teams? That seems straight up ridiculous to me..

Despite the recent struggles the Wings are still (likely) going to have yet another 100 point season.. how does a 100 point team rank 14th out of 16 playoff teams?

Thoughts?

Okay, all things considered they haven't exactly played like a top 10 team the last few games (before Columbus). But looking through the list of teams ahead of Detroit it still seems kind of odd that the Wings are that low..

I'm not sure of the exact formula they use to determine their power rankings.. but Wings aside there is a lot on the list that seems a little off.. like Pittsburgh ahead of St. Louis, Dallas ahead of Boston, Nashville ahead of Vancouver..

EDIT: Side note, in the corresponding Power Rankings from TSN Detroit is ranked 8th, which seems much more reasonable.

Edited by GSBrooks13

I had a much better response before my browser accidently was closed. However, if you want to look at their worth based on a whole season, use the Standings!

These aren't standings, they are a way for you to see how hard a team is to beat if you are going to play them RIGHT NOW. The Wings had losses and injuries pilling up, chemistry issues, and goaltending issues.

They will now start to climb back up the power rankings, but don't sweat them. Teams get hot and cold, which is why they try to make a power ranking.

Okay, all things considered they haven't exactly played like a top 10 team the last few games (before Columbus). But looking through the list of teams ahead of Detroit it still seems kind of odd that the Wings are that low..

I'm not sure of the exact formula they use to determine their power rankings.. but Wings aside there is a lot on the list that seems a little off.. like Pittsburgh ahead of St. Louis, Dallas ahead of Boston, Nashville ahead of Vancouver..

EDIT: Side note, in the corresponding Power Rankings from TSN Detroit is ranked 8th, which seems much more reasonable.

I actually found a formula some time ago:

A) 90

B) ROUND( ( (Winning Pct) - 0.500 ) * 82 * 10/9 )

C) ( Wins in Last10 games - Losses in Last10 games )

D) (+1 if on winning streak OR -1 if on losing streak) *

ROUND( ( (Streak length) - 1 ) / 2 )

A + B + C + D = power ranking points

This was based on a formula dating back in 2005 and for the MLB, but I am not sure if it is the same for the NHL???

Edited by RippedOnNitro

I had a much better response before my browser accidently was closed. However, if you want to look at their worth based on a whole season, use the Standings!

These aren't standings, they are a way for you to see how hard a team is to beat if you are going to play them RIGHT NOW. The Wings had losses and injuries pilling up, chemistry issues, and goaltending issues.

They will now start to climb back up the power rankings, but don't sweat them. Teams get hot and cold, which is why they try to make a power ranking.

I think that injuries is the main difference between the NHL.com power rankings and the TSN Power Rankings. I think TSN gives the team some lead way if they are heavily injured, which is why in their rankings the Wings have fallen gradually down to 8th.. while the NHL.com rankings are clearly just based on Wins and Losses, so when they lost, no matter the reason, they dropped like a rock.

I wouldn't dwell on that crap bud, it's nothing but opinions. We are gonna hit 100 points again this season and look at the bad luck we have had with injuries, it's been crazy. We all know what these guys are capable of when healthy. In two weeks they will shift into the next gear and rip s*** up. So f%#k the power rankings.

I am not shocked at all really, and again it's who's been hot. The Red Wings have been anything but hot for the last little bit. Lets also not forget, I know a win is a win but we beat Carolina & Columbus not really a number high rank is follow our last 10 games. But a strong playoffs will :thumbup: LGW

Power Rankings are one writer's opinion. Who cares.

Also, Wings haven't exactly been a top ten team lately. The rankings that writer wrote on Monday shows the Wings were 14th last week too. Seems accurate to me.

Power Rankings matter as much as playoff seeds to me. These days, make the playoffs as one of the top 8 in the conference, and you got a shot. Thats all that matters, and Wings took care of it. So, looking forward to the playoffs. Thats it.