• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NBCnothingbutcrosby

Why is Cleary still on the team?

Rate this topic

Tatar is better than Cleary. Should be playing on the Wings right now, but Tatar's 7 points in 7 games in the AHL playoffs isn't good enough to have him run with our makeshift 4th lines. Guess GR needs him for round 2.

Umm, article, it's also unlikely Miller and White are re-signed. It's time to clean house good this time and keep guys like Andersson, Nyquist and Tatar up, along with Lashoff and maybe even Callahan for the 4th line. No more of these gap contracts when we have the talent we got coming up through the pipes. And there's no garuntee that Flip's a Wing for opening night next season. Tuzzi and Sammy are gone after next season. We have so many talented kids coming up, it would be stupid to re-sign any of the above mentioned guys. We all know our prospects list, it's time to live by it.

Tatar is better than Cleary. Should be playing on the Wings right now, but Tatar's 7 points in 7 games in the AHL playoffs isn't good enough to have him run with our makeshift 4th lines. Guess GR needs him for round 2.

I get that but the thought of him sliding into Clearys spot give me confidence in our depth. Brunner could go back with Z or Tatar with Z...Nevermind haha

I just think that Clears is only really effective of the 4th line anymore, and the fact of the matter is it look's like our kids can play...

.....Still I think a title that reads "may be sent packing" is a little classless for what Cleary gave us.

No doubt Cleary battled, but he's not good with the puck and he falls down a lot. It should have been written "Kids may ultimately take Cleary's spot" or "Wings may not be able to retain Cleary this summer" but either way, he among others need to be cut loose. We don't want to lose Tatar cause we just had to keep Cleary for whatever reason.

I get that but the thought of him sliding into Clearys spot give me confidence in our depth. Brunner could go back with Z or Tatar with Z...Nevermind haha

There's no roster limit in the post season. We should have more Black Aces. We shouldn't have to rely on Cleary, Sammy and Tuzzi. We need the young legs that can endure a long playoff run, or we shouldn't be surprised when we don't have a long playoff run. GR is doing great, but it's all about the ultimate prize. Our "system" has enough good players to possibly win a Cup, but which one are we trying to win?

Guest The Axe

No doubt Cleary battled, but he's not good with the puck and he falls down a lot. It should have been written "Kids may ultimately take Cleary's spot" or "Wings may not be able to retain Cleary this summer" but either way, he among others need to be cut loose. We don't want to lose Tatar cause we just had to keep Cleary for whatever reason.

There's no roster limit in the post season. We should have more Black Aces. We shouldn't have to rely on Cleary, Sammy and Tuzzi. We need the young legs that can endure a long playoff run, or we shouldn't be surprised when we don't have a long playoff run. GR is doing great, but it's all about the ultimate prize. Our "system" has enough good players to possibly win a Cup, but which one are we trying to win?

You are 100% right. But Babcock cant make Holland look stupid by scratching them. Instead, he benches Bertuzzi and Samuelsson the whole game. Its a joke. We play with an 18 man lineup cuz our GM has a hard on for old washed up has beens.

Why does everyone here forget that WE CAN'T GRAB ANYONE FROM THE GRIFFINS UNTIL THEY ARE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS. It's that easy. It seriously is. I'm so sick of reading, "well we care about the Calder more!!!" No. We don't. It's simply that we CAN'T do that. It's the same reason why we don't have any Black Aces traveling with us right now.

Guest The Axe

Why does everyone here forget that WE CAN'T GRAB ANYONE FROM THE GRIFFINS UNTIL THEY ARE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS. It's that easy. It seriously is. I'm so sick of reading, "well we care about the Calder more!!!" No. We don't. It's simply that we CAN'T do that. It's the same reason why we don't have any Black Aces traveling with us right now.

I would be cool if we just played our best guys. Emdog and Miller bring more than Bertuzzi and Samuelsson.

Guest The Axe

nope... nneither are nearly as physical and intimidating as Bert when healthy

Cabbage Patch kids are more physical and intimidating than Bertuzzi. Todd falls in between yorkie puppies and big league chew when it comes to physicality and intimidation.

Understood fully, but Tatar never should have been sent back down. I know we don't care about the Calder more, but that's just frustration that we have better players on GR than some of the guys in our line up and we're in the 2nd round of the NHL playoffs against the Presidents Trophy winners. And the damn Griffins may win the Calder Cup so we won't get Tatar, but honestly, that would be badass if GR went all the way.

I think its perfectly logical to not resign Cleary next year. We need to focus on getting younger players in the lineup to let them develop into NHL stars while clearing cap space to be able to keep the players we want and bring in outside help. Its a business, and there has been an exodus of long time Red Wings from Cup winning eras over the past few years. It sucks how some of them have gone out, but it is how it is. Having bad feelings about it should not cause you to compromise going about the best way to focus on the now and the future. Cleary should not be exempt from this, despite how much it might suck to treat a player who has given us as much as he has over his career.

He's made a great comeback since coming here in 2005/2006, but it is time for him to hang 'em up. He's just not effective anymore. Guy played with heart, grit, and determination in his best days, but he just looks out of it a lot of the time now.

I'd be upset if we brought him back at this point in his career.

Havnt read through the full thread but my opinion on Cleary is this. Ive been extremely frustrated with his play the last 12 months. Atleast he still goes out and gives it 100%. The problem is his body has taken such a beating him giving 100% isnt translating into much. Thank you for your service and congrats on rebuilding your career but its time to hang them up. If Holland re-signs him this offseason I will have lost all confidence in his management ability.

Understood fully, but Tatar never should have been sent back down. I know we don't care about the Calder more, but that's just frustration that we have better players on GR than some of the guys in our line up and we're in the 2nd round of the NHL playoffs against the Presidents Trophy winners. And the damn Griffins may win the Calder Cup so we won't get Tatar, but honestly, that would be badass if GR went all the way.

I completely agree that Tatar shouldn't have been sent back down, but it's a business first and fore most. Goose's contract is expiring and we needed to make a choice with him. Tatar we still have for two more years, so we didn't need him to showcase anything immediately. This is all my speculation on the case anyways. I think the main thing that sent Tatar down was that he isn't that well through all 3 zones. He's good through the neutral and offensive zone, but he's bad in his own zone and Babcock is a defense first type of coach.

What really killed me about the whole Tatar thing is this: Tatar is a goal scorer, and he's damn good at scoring goals. I consider Goose more of a play maker than an scorer(not to say he can't score, because we all know he can at the AHL level and he's gotten a few in the big show). At the time, we needed scoring and brought up Tatar. He did his role, put it all out there every shift, and potted some. We have more than enough play makers and players that would rather pass the puck than shoot it. In reality, we didn't need Nyquist up here to help play make, we needed Tatar's drive to score goals.

I can only hope that Tatar is slotted in the big show next year.