• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Why does everyone here forget that WE CAN'T GRAB ANYONE FROM THE GRIFFINS UNTIL THEY ARE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS. It's that easy. It seriously is. I'm so sick of reading, "well we care about the Calder more!!!" No. We don't. It's simply that we CAN'T do that. It's the same reason why we don't have any Black Aces traveling with us right now.

I would be cool if we just played our best guys. Emdog and Miller bring more than Bertuzzi and Samuelsson.

#82 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

I would be cool if we just played our best guys. Emdog and Miller bring more than Bertuzzi and Samuelsson.

nope... nneither are nearly as physical and intimidating as Bert when healthy

#83 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

nope... nneither are nearly as physical and intimidating as Bert when healthy

Cabbage Patch kids are more physical and intimidating than Bertuzzi. Todd falls in between yorkie puppies and big league chew when it comes to physicality and intimidation.

#84 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Why does everyone here forget that WE CAN'T GRAB ANYONE FROM THE GRIFFINS UNTIL THEY ARE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS. It's that easy. It seriously is. I'm so sick of reading, "well we care about the Calder more!!!" No. We don't. It's simply that we CAN'T do that. It's the same reason why we don't have any Black Aces traveling with us right now.

Understood fully, but Tatar never should have been sent back down.  I know we don't care about the Calder more, but that's just frustration that we have better players on GR than some of the guys in our line up and we're in the 2nd round of the NHL playoffs against the Presidents Trophy winners.  And the damn Griffins may win the Calder Cup so we won't get Tatar, but honestly, that would be badass if GR went all the way.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#85 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

Cabbage Patch kids are more physical and intimidating than Bertuzzi. Todd falls in between yorkie puppies and big league chew when it comes to physicality and intimidation.

So apparently it's :

yorkie puppies

Todd Bertuzzi

Big League Chew

Emmerton

#86 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

I think its perfectly logical to not resign Cleary next year. We need to focus on getting younger players in the lineup to let them develop into NHL stars while clearing cap space to be able to keep the players we want and bring in outside help. Its a business, and there has been an exodus of long time Red Wings from Cup winning eras over the past few years. It sucks how some of them have gone out, but it is how it is. Having bad feelings about it should not cause you to compromise going about the best way to focus on the now and the future. Cleary should not be exempt from this, despite how much it might suck to treat a player who has given us as much as he has over his career.

40 for life.

#87 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:54 AM

I think we've got too damn much in GR to hang on to cleary.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#88 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

He's made a great comeback since coming here in 2005/2006, but it is time for him to hang 'em up. He's just not effective anymore. Guy played with heart, grit, and determination in his best days, but he just looks out of it a lot of the time now.

I'd be upset if we brought him back at this point in his career.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#89 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

Havnt read through the full thread but my opinion on Cleary is this. Ive been extremely frustrated with his play the last 12 months. Atleast he still goes out and gives it 100%. The problem is his body has taken such a beating him giving 100% isnt translating into much. Thank you for your service and congrats on rebuilding your career but its time to hang them up. If Holland re-signs him this offseason I will have lost all confidence in his management ability.

#90 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Understood fully, but Tatar never should have been sent back down.  I know we don't care about the Calder more, but that's just frustration that we have better players on GR than some of the guys in our line up and we're in the 2nd round of the NHL playoffs against the Presidents Trophy winners.  And the damn Griffins may win the Calder Cup so we won't get Tatar, but honestly, that would be badass if GR went all the way.

I completely agree that Tatar shouldn't have been sent back down, but it's a business first and fore most. Goose's contract is expiring and we needed to make a choice with him. Tatar we still have for two more years, so we didn't need him to showcase anything immediately. This is all my speculation on the case anyways. I think the main thing that sent Tatar down was that he isn't that well through all 3 zones. He's good through the neutral and offensive zone, but he's bad in his own zone and Babcock is a defense first type of coach. 

What really killed me about the whole Tatar thing is this: Tatar is a goal scorer, and he's damn good at scoring goals. I consider Goose more of a play maker than an scorer(not to say he can't score, because we all know he can at the AHL level and he's gotten a few in the big show). At the time, we needed scoring and brought up Tatar. He did his role, put it all out there every shift, and potted some. We have more than enough play makers and players that would rather pass the puck than shoot it. In reality, we didn't need Nyquist up here to help play make, we needed Tatar's drive to score goals.

I can only hope that Tatar is slotted in the big show next year.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#91 Fedorovfan

Fedorovfan

humble servant

• 45 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

Cleary's roster spot would be better filled with someone eles next season. Even when he's healthy he average at best.

Lets go Red Wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!