• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings1110

this team is soft

Rate this topic

I'm really getting sick and ******* tired of the same bulls*** arguments being made on these boards time after time after time. It's like a broken record that's had the needle taped down. Nothing new is ever said, no one's minds are changed, nothing different is brought to the table. It's like any thread about HWSNBN*. The same circle jerk consisting of the same damn people shouting the same incomprehensible babble over one another until they pass out or a mod locks/deletes the thread.

*He Who Shall Not Be Named

Tell it like it is girl!

I don't think it's the Red Wings that are soft, they're just trying to win games. It's the League that's soft for not trying to put an end to this MMA style hockey which leads to their most marketable and popular players to miss weeks and months of games because of concussions and injuries.

With everything we know now about concussions, I wish the NHL would take more of a NFL approach and protect their players properly. The stars should run this league, not the thugs.

Changes will come this offseason

That won't happen as long as Holland is still GM. He has a huge boner for this roster as it stands. That's why, despite him saying the team "NEEDS TO GET BETTER" after being eliminated by San Jose AGAIN last spring, nothing changed. He replaced Rafalski with White, Salei with Commodore, Modano and Draper with Emmerton and Mursak, and Osgood with Conklin. 4 of those guys retired and had to be replaced. White is the only one who's really panned out well. What else? NOTHING. Is the team "BETTER"? NO And the only deadline move the last 2 years was getting Quincey back... aka fixing a mistake from several years ago. NOTHING WILL CHANGE. EVER.

The only reason Emmerton is playing is because he and Abdelkader are the only guys on the third and fourth lines capable of playing centre. When Helm returns (let's hope by start of the playoffs), Emmerton will sit and Abdelkader will move down to the fourth line. The only alternative would be to move either Filppula or Franzen down to centre one of the bottom two lines. Obviously Fil isn't going anywhere. I would actually like to see Franzen moved back to the fourth-line checking role he had earlier in his career, since he was very effective in that role and he's only sporadically effective as a top-line winger these days. He would make a very good shutdown centre against Thornton and Getzlaf (not that the latter is a threat this year). And maybe a return to his roots would help him snap out of his funk.

So...What should we talk about then?

You mean the only conversation to be had here is we're too soft/too Euro/we need enforcers/______ should be fired? There's literally NOTHING else worth discussing in regards to the Detroit Red Wings? How many damn threads about how random poster X thinks we need goons on the squad do we need? Is thread #1,000,000 going to suddenly make everyone scream "EUREKA!!111!" or something?

Cries for toughness are funny. We're all for vigilante justice when some punk is running around or hacking and slashing, yet we mock those who fight after a clean hit.

Enforcing rules is for refs. Otherwise, hockey is tough. The Wings aren't asking to soften the game to suit them and they aren't quitting, so in reality, despite your observation, there is no problem.

:clap:

These best post I've read in a long time!

Well it is a discussion board afterall...If ya don't like the title of the thread.....

That's kinda sorta not the point. Wading through the noise to find threads about subjects that haven't been beaten to death is rather hard most days. It's either threads about HWSNBN, enforcers, Babcock/random player sucks, we're too soft....ad infinitum. It would be nice if people did a search on a particular topic to see if it's been discussed recently, and add their opinion to that thread rather than create a new one for a point that's been made a thousand times already.

goalie gets ran, and getting our asses kicked by the worst team in the league and no one is angry enough to go after the guy. This is hockey, and its infuriating that this team is filled with wimps.

Penguins lost twice In a row to the islanders just now with Crosby. Their fighters and goons really made a difference that game too.

That's kinda sorta not the point. Wading through the noise to find threads about subjects that haven't been beaten to death is rather hard most days. It's either threads about HWSNBN, enforcers, Babcock/random player sucks, we're too soft....ad infinitum. It would be nice if people did a search on a particular topic to see if it's been discussed recently, and add their opinion to that thread rather than create a new one for a point that's been made a thousand times already.

I too am sick of this thread (among the others you mentioned) popping up constantly. BUT worse than "wading" through topics one can easily just ignore to begin with, letting it slide down the discussion board out of sight, is a thread on the board being bogged down (and bumped) with complaints about complaining, in this case over a dozen replies arguing the thread not the topic. :P Talk about wading through the noise...

I don't think the Wings lose because they are soft, unless you count players like Franzen being soft in the heart or players like White being soft in the head (when not with Lidstrom). However, the Wings do lack that "steadying hand" when the rough stuff does start, something you don't really notice 90% of the games because it doesn't come to it. Because its rare, I understand the argument of Holland and Babcock, not wanting to give up a roster spot to someone useless on the ice. Unfortunately, "useless on the ice" pretty much sums up Emmerton and the 4th line. If we aren't going to play them more than 5 minutes a night, how much worse could a guy that keeps the flies off be?

Grinding, contributing 4th liner > Fighter who can't contribute >> Emmerton who can't contribute or grind

EDIT: I do enjoy a funny meme to poke fun here and there, I love a good jab :D just not all out arguments against the topic. For instance...

af4bd_ORIG-Oh_Look_This_thread_again.jpg

Edited by b.shanafan14

I too am sick of this thread (among the others you mentioned) popping up constantly. BUT worse than "wading" through topics one can easily just ignore to begin with, letting it slide down the discussion board out of sight, is a thread on the board being bogged down (and bumped) with complaints about complaining, in this case over a dozen replies arguing the thread not the topic. :P Talk about wading through the noise...

I don't think the Wings lose because they are soft, unless you count players like Franzen being soft in the heart or players like White being soft in the head (when not with Lidstrom). However, the Wings do lack that "steadying hand" when the rough stuff does start, something you don't really notice 90% of the games because it doesn't come to it. Because its rare, I understand the argument of Holland and Babcock, not wanting to give up a roster spot to someone useless on the ice. Unfortunately, "useless on the ice" pretty much sums up Emmerton and the 4th line. If we aren't going to play them more than 5 minutes a night, how much worse could a guy that keeps the flies off be?

Grinding, contributing 4th liner > Fighter who can't contribute >> Emmerton who can't contribute or grind

Exactly. It is a much rehashed topic, but if people don't like it, then they shouldn't post in it and they can watch it disappear down the list of threads on the page.

And honestly if the Wings were a team that played a chippy game like Boston or fought as much as the Rangers, I highly doubt there would be threads about the Wings shouldn't goon it up as much. People love the Wings, so they love the current incarnation, which is one that isn't very physical and doesn't fight much. But if they were a team that beat the snot out of other players, I don't think people here would be clucking their tongues in disapproval.

Overall I wouldn't say they're a soft team, but there's definitely guys who play soft for their size, and the Wings could definitely use their physical play. (I'm looking at you Franzen, Kindl, and Bertuzzi)

This thread isnt even about fighting, just soft play in general. Everyone on here always says you dont need to fight, just get a guy back with a big, clean hit. Well did anyone even breathe on Jack Johnson after he roughed up Filppula 3 times for no reason? Where was someone actually hitting Dorsett while he cross checked Kronwall infront of our own net for half of a shift or was running around all game? If youre not gonna fight, at least have some push back to show if you wanna run around so can we, and this wings team just doesnt do it.

Same posters who are against tough hockey always say the wings are fine and blah bla blah but why is Babcock subtly calling out the players to get tougher out there?

"we need Mule and Bert (Todd Bertuzzi) and (Danny) Cleary and Abby (Justin Abdelkader) and (Darren) Helm, when he gets back, all the guys that are capable of being physical."

“It's a physical time of the year coming (in the playoffs). The neutral zone is basically taken out of the game and you got to win the game below the tops of the circles in both zones, and those guys help you do that.''

If Babcock thought that the wings physicality was fine he wouldnt be saying s*** like this, he made a mentoin of it as one of our bigger problems in a loss against friggen columbus for gods sake

"I wish we were the biggest, toughest, ugliest team in organized hockey... That's not how we're built, so you coach what you got."

- Mike Babcock, Jan. 2012

I'm not opposed to getting tougher and would wish we had more fights (I think they add a very enjoyable element to the game) but your quote is severely edited and doesn't really capture what Babs said or the point that he was making. The entire thing gives a different picture, and it was reported that when Babs made the statement you quoted he was joking, basically harassing a reporter for his question about the team's toughness.

“I wish we were the biggest, toughest, ugliest team in organized hockey. That’s not how we’re built, so you coach what you got. How’s that? No pride in that!” Detroit coach Mike Babcock said on Tuesday, drawing a laugh. “No, I take pride in the fact that we’re real disciplined. … We’re just built a different way, and you’ve got to win in your own way. Team toughness for us, toughness is how hard we are on the puck, and how we pursue it, how we keep coming. It’s got nothing to do with fighting and stoppages.”

Yeah but you can't help but think that Babs would really love to be the coach of a team like the Boston Bruins because of their size and toughness. I mean, yeah they have a bunch of spotpickers but they can still answer the bell if really needed.

I think Boston and New York are a lot more well-rounded than we are. I mean, if we exit the playoffs early again this year, one would think some kind of shakeup would happen.

:siren::siren::siren:

The problem with Detroit is too many players have accomplished a lot in their career or their contracts just guarantee too much and it has caused them to become lazy. I also think babcocks reaction to the team doesn't help either after every game. The team is good, the problem is it needs a couple different types of players to improve the effort night in and night out. It needs 1 top 6 foward that is a sniper with preferably a right handed shot. A couple different bottom 6 players. I am sorry all you cleary fans but he is a great player when he is healthy but with him aging and all the injury problems I think its time to bring in a new player for his role whether it be a prospect or a trade or whatever. Holmstrom is an amazing player and a legend to remember for the past decade but he is use less unless on the power play. I dont think dats should be playing with holmstrom because it really does slow him down. Since he is so good at setting people up, why not pick up a player that can skate with him and also shoot the puck. Maybe that will solve the power play problems.

Hudler is a tough one, other than scoring goals he doesn't do much more than that. I will leave that up for the coaching staff to figure out what they want to do with him. Franzen on the other hand should be traded for a couple players or another player to fill his role but that is just me not ever really liking the guys style of play.

The defense, I think, is not as bad as everyone thinks. We have allowed less goals then last year which is an improvement. I don't disagree that some subtractions and additions on the defense could really improve us.

To top it off, I agree the team is extremely talented (when they want to be) but team could def use 1 or 2 tough players, which they don't have to put up more than 15 points a season, but at least check, fight, and be able to skate with the puck responsibly.

exclamation.gif

Changes will come this offseason, you will see a tougher team next season.

Not if it is up to Holland. Jimmy D is going to have to get involved if this is going to get fixed!

I wonder what LGW's would complain about if we had an exact copy of our 1997 Cup team?..Too many Russians?

:lol:

It's not 1997 and the Left Wing Lock is not getting established. The league has changed. The wings have something that works "to a point". I am bored, and so are many. Not what you need when you are getting ready to announce a new arena (5 - 6 months out)!

This will only happen though if Kenny gets some balls and ship some players out of here for some tougher players.

Hudler, Homer, Stuart, should be gone. Emmerton and Ericsson should be shipped out for some tough players that can fill bottom 6 and 6th, 7th D man roles. We should have a full year of Smith who is tough as nails and we got some guys down in GR who are gritty and could have an impact.

Moen, Gustad, Prust, and Asham should all be Kenny targets in FA.

Oh and in before the "we need Parise/Suter" crowd, it is obvious Kenny will be after those 2 hard.

Franzen is the biggest ***** on the team and you never mentioned him at all.