• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

It's not 1997 and the Left Wing Lock is not getting established. The league has changed. The wings have something that works "to a point". I am bored, and so are many. Not what you need when you are getting ready to announce a new arena (5 - 6 months out)!

Our Cup winning 1997 team had the wonderful combo of skill/toughness/passion which would still wins Cups today - see last years Boston Bruins, and 2007 Anahiem Ducks...Even though the Flyers lost out to the Blackhawks in 2010 - they still retain a decent proportion of skill/toughness that will serve them well in a few weeks time.

Don't kid yourself - the playoffs are a different animal from the reg season, and IMHO teams that have that right mix of players tend to have a better chance of winning it all; it's why many here like myself don't expect the Wings to get past the 1st round.

A new arena announcement - please do tell!

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#62 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

I've been saying for a while that a trade is the only thing that will get this teams attention and make them play their ass off. But also believe that Holland is incapable of even entertaining such a radical thought.

Couldn't agree more. It's as if every DRW contract is a lifetime contract.

#63 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

For the record, and just to be absolutely certain we're all on the same page here - the 1997-98 Wings were The s***.

Edited by Dabura, 01 April 2012 - 09:32 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#64 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

For the record, and just to be absolutely certain we're all on the same page here - the 1997-98 Wings were The s***.

Yup - and I'm of the opinion those Red Wing teams from the late 90's (left-wing lock or not) would be a top team in todays game, and would be a favorite to win it all year in - year out.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#65 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

Yup - and I'm of the opinion those Red Wing teams from the late 90's (left-wing lock or not) would be a top team in todays game, and would be a favorite to win it all year in - year out.

Who doesn't think this? Those teams were awesome. Although it's interesting to consider how guys like Murphy and Fetisov would adjust to the speed of today's game.

I'd really love to see how Vladdy would do in today's game.

#66 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

I would love to see one or two large hard nosed guys like Bertuzzi rounding out our bottom six. It's not abouting fighting per se but f*ck around and Ill f*ck you up that I like about him. Bert is one scary dude when you see him get mad out there.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.