• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

3/30 GDT : Predators 4 at Red Wings 1

Rate this topic

The fans also expect a cup or its a failed season. This is all part of winning 4 cups the last 15 years.

Just based on what I have seen so far, I will consider a conference finals exit to be an overachieving season. 2nd round is more realistic.

We as fans do perhaps expect too much, especially given the success of the last two decades. However, the most frustrating thing is not the teams failure, its the unmet potential, squandered chances, and apparent lack of effort. So many players on this team can play so much better if they just applied themselves. The pieces in the top-six between now and 2008 haven't changed much, and yet the play has dipped dramatically. Franzen, who was signed as an offensive threat to what basically amounts to a franchise contract, has gone completely belly-up since signing in 2009, and his attitude seems to be the main problem. Cleary is night and day between this season and last, due in main part to his injury. Bertuzzi shows flashes of brilliance when playing with two linemates that skate. When playing with Datsyuk and Nyquist, it seemed to rub off on Bert and he asserted himself. Enter Franzen to float on the opposite wing and Bertuzzi returns to being a non-factor. I just don't understand how relatively similar lineups can play so much worse. Leadership looks to be an issue, after losing veterans like Drake, Osgood, Draper, Maltby, and Rafalski. Beyond that, there appears to be zero accountability.

TOP 6 from 2008

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom/Cleary

Franzen-Filppula/Hudler-Samuelsson

TOP 6 in 2012

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Franzen(-)

Filppula(+)-Zetterberg-Hudler

Come back soon, Helm.

Even when he does come back he'll need a significant amount of games to get back to NHL speed.

We've seen this year and last year how when someone comes in cold from an injury that it's as if the team slows down when injured players come back.

God, what I would give to hear this team jolted like that. I'm not saying I prefer Tortorella as a coach over Babcock, but things have gotten way too comfortable for the players on this team. There seems to be zero accountability, and the trademark Babcock scowl and silent treatment doesn't have the effect it used to.

The wings don't need a motivational speaker. Certain players are playing well and doing the right things. Just for the love of god Mike Babcock change the lines!! The top 6 need to be moved around. Don't just swap third line players for fourth line players. I may sound crazy but break up the Flip-Z-Huds line. Flippula and Zetterberg's good play will be contagious on any line I believe. I like Abdelkader on the top 6 he'll at least mix things up...

And am I the only one that isn't disappointed Stuart won't be here next season? He is absolutely terrible with the puck in any kind of situation. I haven't liked him on this team for the last two years. It's always him who can't clear the puck when the wings are killing a penalty and win the face off and he has a good 3 seconds to wind up and shoot it down the ice and the other team keeps it in the zone. I've noticed Quincey is good at getting the puck out actually.

We as fans do perhaps expect too much, especially given the success of the last two decades. However, the most frustrating thing is not the teams failure, its the unmet potential, squandered chances, and apparent lack of effort. So many players on this team can play so much better if they just applied themselves. The pieces in the top-six between now and 2008 haven't changed much, and yet the play has dipped dramatically. Franzen, who was signed as an offensive threat to what basically amounts to a franchise contract, has gone completely belly-up since signing in 2009, and his attitude seems to be the main problem. Cleary is night and day between this season and last, due in main part to his injury. Bertuzzi shows flashes of brilliance when playing with two linemates that skate. When playing with Datsyuk and Nyquist, it seemed to rub off on Bert and he asserted himself. Enter Franzen to float on the opposite wing and Bertuzzi returns to being a non-factor. I just don't understand how relatively similar lineups can play so much worse. Leadership looks to be an issue, after losing veterans like Drake, Osgood, Draper, Maltby, and Rafalski. Beyond that, there appears to be zero accountability.

TOP 6 from 2008

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom/Cleary

Franzen-Filppula/Hudler-Samuelsson

TOP 6 in 2012

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Franzen(-)

Filppula(+)-Zetterberg-Hudler

You do realize 4 years is an eternity in professional sports? Both the wings fans and management have a strong propensity to live in yesterdays accomplishments. Yes there are always core players that are key - Lids, Dats, Z thru multiple years, but the rest of the cast should change as needed. The teams that compete for the cup have, besides luck and lack of injuries, is a good mix of core veterans, solid mid-career contributors and hungry youth. The formula has always been the same - and was for each extended run the wings have made. It's called team chemistry.

I forgot about that. Same goes for Ericsson. He is so bored by the regular season, he sees no point in clearing the crease and dropping the gloves. Well, with Ericsson's stay at home prowess and Franzen's golden hands coming alive in the playoffs, we should make it out of the first round.

At least Franzen can produce.

Is it just me, or is Franzen normally the reason we lose hockey games nowadays?

Good news about seeing that game in person: I got a free green hat (Sponsored and everything, WHOA!), some stickers of Filppula, and got to wave at Larry Murphy in a backpack.

Other than that, pretty lame.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Can you send this link to all the players' email addy? Or hack into team bus and pipe it into the AV system?

Gotta love Torts. That's priceless. Babs, on the other hand, is more like my wife's silent treatment. I won't talk to you because you should know better...

At least Franzen can produce.

Is it just me, or is Franzen normally the reason we lose hockey games nowadays?

Good news about seeing that game in person: I got a free green hat (Sponsored and everything, WHOA!), some stickers of Filppula, and got to wave at Larry Murphy in a backpack.

Other than that, pretty lame.

Hopefully he'll show up for the playoffs.

Yeah, I kind of jumped on the blame Franzen train for the night. 1 shot on net in over 16 minutes of ice time.

Should've waved with a hot dog in your hand, maybe you would've got his autograph :lol:

Funny how people think they know how the Wings will play in the playoffs this year. Detroit fans should know more than anyone that the playoffs is completely different than the regular season. We won't know how the Wings will do in the playoffs until they actually start.

4th seed, 5th seed, 6th seed, I really don't care.

There are certain important indicators, though. Where is the PP and PK ranked? How well can you play on the road vs. at home? Goal differential, etc. Yes the playoffs are different, because the NHL treats the game differently from an officiating point of view, but beyond that you are left hoping the underachievers are sand-bagging for the playoffs. Never a good feeling IMO

This way this team performing right now the Wings are looking like the Avs in 2008 ... a once great team with an aging core that just doesn't have the depth and spark to make much noise in the post-season. Yeah, with some bounces and a great effort getting out of the first round wouldn't be mind blowing - but odds are a younger, hungrier, deeper team will be waiting for us and have home ice advantage.

I certainly dont expect a cup every year - if we can beat the Preds in the first round Ill be very pumped and will b e able to take some consellation in that. If the Wings fall to the Preds it will meanmore than a short season after having such high hopes through the first 60+ games of the year - it will ensure Weber or Suter will NOT sign here for greener pastures and a better chance to win. If the Wings can win they remain "big brother" and this will really help in trying to land either of them if they hit free agency.

"Fans" like this are who I am addressing.

I suppose you could always go root for the Canucks. They need a fan like you.

I get it. Criticism is considered traitorous.... You do realize that healthy dissent has always formed a huge role in the progression of any society/organization/government. There is a reason why certain groups suppress it. Are you a nazi?

If the Wings fall to the Preds it will meanmore than a short season after having such high hopes through the first 60+ games of the year - it will ensure Weber or Suter will NOT sign here for greener pastures and a better chance to win. If the Wings can win they remain "big brother" and this will really help in trying to land either of them if they hit free agency.

I dunno, I can imagine Holland selling the "You're the missing piece" line pretty well.

I suppose it isn't all that surprising that they're struggling right now. They have a bunch of players who are still trying to get up to NHL speed. Datsyuk, Franzen, Cleary, Ericsson, the list probably goes on if we had more information.

Franzen hasnt been at NHL speed long before he sat a couple games. Cleary has been at AHL speed all season.

The fans also expect a cup or its a failed season. This is all part of winning 4 cups the last 15 years.

Just based on what I have seen so far, I will consider a conference finals exit to be an overachieving season. 2nd round is more realistic.

lockeroom_sign.jpg

You do realize 4 years is an eternity in professional sports? Both the wings fans and management have a strong propensity to live in yesterdays accomplishments. Yes there are always core players that are key - Lids, Dats, Z thru multiple years, but the rest of the cast should change as needed. The teams that compete for the cup have, besides luck and lack of injuries, is a good mix of core veterans, solid mid-career contributors and hungry youth. The formula has always been the same - and was for each extended run the wings have made. It's called team chemistry.

I understand that 4 years is a long time in the NHL, but if you consider Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Hudler to be playing at roughly the same level they did in 2008 (albeit not statistically, with Z and Pavel down, and Hudler up), who does that leave? Cleary has definitely dropped off, but for the sake of this argument, he's left out of the Top 6. Samuelsson moved on, so his replacement is Bertuzzi. As much as I rode Samuelsson, Bertuzzi is no upgrade. Calling that a wash, probably a downgrade.

Of the players left, Filppula has developed into a hell of a hockey player. Franzen on the other hand, signed for another 8 seasons after this one, contributes nothing outside of his goal totals (no backcheck, forecheck, physicality, and diminishing playmaking). He shows zero hustle and has gone on record saying he is bored. His statistical output is diminishing and even though he leads the team in goals, 26 goals from a guy who's only job appears to be scoring goals is unacceptable. He hasn't earned a whole season with the best player in the world, and yet, there he remains.

The supporting cast does need to change more quickly than it is, given the last two exits. However, the Top 6 is still our biggest problem, when you're passing 37-year-old Bertuzzi off as a scoring winger and he is floating circles around 32-year-old Franzen who's cap hit is twice as much and is paid nearly 4 times as much.

I get it. Criticism is considered traitorous.... You do realize that healthy dissent has always formed a huge role in the progression of any society/organization/government. There is a reason why certain groups suppress it. Are you a nazi?

Never thought I'd see a Red Wings GDT Godwinned, but there you go.

The Wings are 21st in PP goals and 22nd in the league on the PK. Yet they still manage to be 5th overall in Goals per Game and 7th overall in Goals Against.

Add to that to their home and away record, and everything about this team is a split personality.

For a team this good to have such a crappy PP and PK seems like a lack of discipline, commitment to the system, and willingness to compete and sacrifice. I guess we'll see if they find that switch come playoff time.

I bet I can predict how the first round will go. The Wings won't show up for the first two and will go down 0-2. They will probably win the series, but it will require a lot of soul searching and last minute comebacks once they realize how half-hearted they've become.

Honestly, the Wings need to try hard for 4th place. This is probably the highest chance for the top 3 teams losing in the first or second rounds in a long time. St. Louis is unproven. LA is likely to lose first round. Vancouver is the only really decent playoff team. Detroit could secure a long run of home ice if those teams get upset only if we're in 4th place.

In fact, we could have home ice all throughout the playoffs if things work out right, but really only if we're in 4th. At the very least we could get through the Western Conference with home ice. Vancouver could lose in the second round and then we'd be in the Western finals against a lower seeded team.

Can't say the Wings didn't show up, Preds just played better, Rinne outplayed Howard, PP and PK were weak. This is going to be a very tough first round, Nashville is no joke.

Edited by Yak19