• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

#421 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

I suppose it isn't all that surprising that they're struggling right now. They have a bunch of players who are still trying to get up to NHL speed. Datsyuk, Franzen, Cleary, Ericsson, the list probably goes on if we had more information.

Franzen hasnt been at NHL speed long before he sat a couple games. Cleary has been at AHL speed all season.

#422 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

The fans also expect a cup or its a failed season. This is all part of winning 4 cups the last 15 years.

Just based on what I have seen so far, I will consider a conference finals exit to be an overachieving season. 2nd round is more realistic.

Posted Image

#423 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

You do realize 4 years is an eternity in professional sports? Both the wings fans and management have a strong propensity to live in yesterdays accomplishments. Yes there are always core players that are key - Lids, Dats, Z thru multiple years, but the rest of the cast should change as needed. The teams that compete for the cup have, besides luck and lack of injuries, is a good mix of core veterans, solid mid-career contributors and hungry youth. The formula has always been the same - and was for each extended run the wings have made. It's called team chemistry.

I understand that 4 years is a long time in the NHL, but if you consider Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Hudler to be playing at roughly the same level they did in 2008 (albeit not statistically, with Z and Pavel down, and Hudler up), who does that leave? Cleary has definitely dropped off, but for the sake of this argument, he's left out of the Top 6. Samuelsson moved on, so his replacement is Bertuzzi. As much as I rode Samuelsson, Bertuzzi is no upgrade. Calling that a wash, probably a downgrade.

Of the players left, Filppula has developed into a hell of a hockey player. Franzen on the other hand, signed for another 8 seasons after this one, contributes nothing outside of his goal totals (no backcheck, forecheck, physicality, and diminishing playmaking). He shows zero hustle and has gone on record saying he is bored. His statistical output is diminishing and even though he leads the team in goals, 26 goals from a guy who's only job appears to be scoring goals is unacceptable. He hasn't earned a whole season with the best player in the world, and yet, there he remains.

The supporting cast does need to change more quickly than it is, given the last two exits. However, the Top 6 is still our biggest problem, when you're passing 37-year-old Bertuzzi off as a scoring winger and he is floating circles around 32-year-old Franzen who's cap hit is twice as much and is paid nearly 4 times as much.

#424 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

I get it. Criticism is considered traitorous.... You do realize that healthy dissent has always formed a huge role in the progression of any society/organization/government. There is a reason why certain groups suppress it. Are you a nazi?

Never thought I'd see a Red Wings GDT Godwinned, but there you go.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#425 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

What the WIngs need to hear -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=W45jXVKj_CM

i used to have a coach like that, he also threw water bottles and kicked garbage cans across the room.

#426 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,045 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

The Wings are 21st in PP goals and 22nd in the league on the PK. Yet they still manage to be 5th overall in Goals per Game and 7th overall in Goals Against.

Add to that to their home and away record, and everything about this team is a split personality.

For a team this good to have such a crappy PP and PK seems like a lack of discipline, commitment to the system, and willingness to compete and sacrifice. I guess we'll see if they find that switch come playoff time.

#427 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,584 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

I bet I can predict how the first round will go. The Wings won't show up for the first two and will go down 0-2. They will probably win the series, but it will require a lot of soul searching and last minute comebacks once they realize how half-hearted they've become.

Honestly, the Wings need to try hard for 4th place. This is probably the highest chance for the top 3 teams losing in the first or second rounds in a long time. St. Louis is unproven. LA is likely to lose first round. Vancouver is the only really decent playoff team. Detroit could secure a long run of home ice if those teams get upset only if we're in 4th place.

In fact, we could have home ice all throughout the playoffs if things work out right, but really only if we're in 4th. At the very least we could get through the Western Conference with home ice. Vancouver could lose in the second round and then we'd be in the Western finals against a lower seeded team.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#428 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Can't say the Wings didn't show up, Preds just played better, Rinne outplayed Howard, PP and PK were weak. This is going to be a very tough first round, Nashville is no joke.

Edited by Yak19, 31 March 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#429 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

Chicago vs. Nashville tonight ... go Hawks.

#430 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

If the Hawks win tonight and then we wwill beat florida tomorrow we will be back in 4th. I think that is going to happen because Nashville will be tired against a fresh Hawks team and the Wings have such good success against Florida. With that said, I am VERY PLEASED that Babcock has finally put Nyquist back with Pasha at practice today but I am disappointed that he is keeping Franzen on the line over Bert. I think Bert plays best with Pasha and has been doing a fantastic job all year at creating open ice for Pavs and using his body well and going in front of the net. IMO I would rather see Nyquist-Datsyuk- Bert BUT I am willing to see what it looks like with Franzen on there. If after the 1st period tomorrow Franzen is still floating, then demote him to the 3rd line and put Bert back with Pavs and Nyquist.

#431 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Looking good, Chi 2 Nsh 0 middle of the 2nd ...

#432 brennan17

brennan17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Chicago is kicking there ass. If the boys play like they can they can do the exact same in the playoffs.

#433 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Nashville comes back from 4-0 to tie it.

bringit.jpg

#434 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Chicago is kicking there ass. If the boys play like they can they can do the exact same in the playoffs.

Spoke too soon ... Nashville 4, Chicago 4 :ranting:

Impressive, Chi 5 and Nas 4 ... Chicago playing like they want 5th spot.

Evidently, we're not the only team that Columbus can beat ... Col 5 St. Louis 2.

Edited by RedWingsRox, 31 March 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#435 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

5-4 Chicago looking to win in regulation. Wow. We're still alive in the race for 4th.

Sharks have Dallas coming up in a huge division game. I hate the Sharks, and I don't want them to win the Pacific division, but the idea of having them as the 8th seed to face Vancouver is intriguing.

Edited by irishock, 31 March 2012 - 09:41 PM.

bringit.jpg

#436 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

5-4 Chicago looking to win in regulation. Wow. We're still alive in the race for 4th.

alive for 6th too :ph34r: