• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CrimsonFlame

What do you consider a success?

Rate this topic

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I was thinking about this for the last few days. How far do the Wings have to go for it to be a successful season? On one hand a lot of teams consider making the playoffs a success. And others have fans who demand a championship. So where does everyone else fit on this?

Personally, I think we have to make it to the conference finals because I think our tradition and our talent dictates that we go deep. What about you guys? What do you think this year?

Just to clarify: do you mean what would be a success this season, all things considered? In other words, given that the Wings have been playing like s*** during the stretch run, and may very well lose home ice advantage, while having a terrible road record, where would I be "happy" to see them get?

If so, I think getting passed the first round would be an accomplishment. Getting passed the second round would be a feat and an improvement, considering the last two seasons' exits and this late season plunge.

But if you're asking me what I consider a successful season out of the Wings (and really, where I thought they should be up until the injury/apathy bug hit), it has to be Cup-or-bust.

Not tripping over their dicks, which they've done too much recently. 60 minutes of solid play, consistent effort, and high energy. If we manage to do that, I'm happy. How far doing that gets us this year is entirely dependent on how much they want to prove to the fans they're not a bunch of lazy, spoiled, entitled dopes.

On one hand, I want us to win the Cup every year, however it's entirely unrealistic for that to happen, so I try to remember that as long as they play with heart, I'll be satisfied with our lot. If we lose in 7 games, at least we went down swinging. I can take comfort in the fact they didn't give up, while simultaneously being upset they didn't win.

Id love a deep run and a Cup - obviously. But beating Nashville (should we meet in round 1) is huge because if we lose to them I can almost gurantee that any chance of nabbing Suter or Weber in free agency goes out the window if we cant beat them. I have it on good authority that Weber genuinely wants to be a Red Wing. After all these deadline moves and the acquisition of Radulov get set golfing a week into the playoffs it will be a huge disappointment to an excited fanbase and a GM/owner who are desperately trying to change their nickel and dime reputation to entice their stud free agents to stick around.

If Stuart heads west and Holland can sack up and sign Suter this summer that would be a huge first step towards getting Weber when he becomes a UFA summer 2013 (unless Nashville trades him beforehand). Whether Lids stays or goes (hopefully stays!!!) if we can beat the Preds in fairly swift fashion without creating a Vancouver-Chicago type hatefest in the process I think we have a good shot at getting Suter.

So in summary:

1) Perfect world we go all the way and win the cup. Beat Nashville in the first round, avenge San Jose in the second round, take out Vancouver in the third round, then win the rubber-match against Pittsburgh in the finals.

Guest irishock

It's the Red Wings. Stanley Cup or bust. Some franchises would be happy with 21 straight playoff apperances, not us.

Hopefully the 5th one comes this year, or next if Holland can pull the rabbit out of his hat this offseason

As talented as this team is, and with as many veterans who already know what it takes to win the Cup because they've already done it (and should have done it back to back), anything short of winning the Cup has to be be considered unsuccessful. I know we as fans have the privilege of having that expectation, but the whole organization from top to bottom cannot settle for anything less because, as Herm Edwards so eloquently put it "You play to win the game...Hello!"

I can see the reasoning behind all of the options, but in the grand scheme of things, making the playoffs is what you have to do. Beyond that, it's a bounce here or there that can kill you or save you. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but it takes a full season to make the playoffs.

It means even more now that our division is actually competitive. I consider making the playoffs to be a successful season. And then the real work starts. After that, everything else is gravy.

I'm not going to be happy with anything but a Cup, but I'm not going to get mad about not winning it every year either. Unless we win the Cup, I will be disappointed, but I will still consider this to be a highly successful team.

Maybe I've spent too many decades as a Lions fan.

Well, after the last couple of seasons, getting past the 2nd round is a must. If we fail to reach the WCF again, then changes must be made, and all the weaknesses that have been apparent the last 3 seasons must be rectified.

If we get to the WCF or even the SCF, then I imagine all our regular season shortcomings will be forgotten.

Cup or bust. Honestly anything further than 2nd round is an improvement, but would still be a disappointment. The last two playoffs were flukes in a sense, so I think most people still expect them to compete for the Cup. They are way too good to not make the Finals, the key is re-establishing the hunger they had in '07 and '08 and '11 (the 3-0 comeback series against the Sharks).

I can see the reasoning behind all of the options, but in the grand scheme of things, making the playoffs is what you have to do. Beyond that, it's a bounce here or there that can kill you or save you. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but it takes a full season to make the playoffs.

It means even more now that our division is actually competitive. I consider making the playoffs to be a successful season. And then the real work starts. After that, everything else is gravy.

I'm not going to be happy with anything but a Cup, but I'm not going to get mad about not winning it every year either. Unless we win the Cup, I will be disappointed, but I will still consider this to be a highly successful team.

Maybe I've spent too many decades as a Lions fan.

I agree with this.

As long as the Wings play well (effort) in the playoffs, I am happy with the team. Assuming the Wings go all out in the playoffs, I will only feel a season is unsuccessful if the Wings did not make the playoffs.

With that said, I will be disappointed if the Wings don't win the Cup.

Success is only a cup, but I wouldn't be disappointed with just making it to the SCF.

I just don't want the season to end. :(

^^^

When Hockey is over, that means the only sport I have to watch is MLB. Don't get me wrong, I support the Tigers and stuff when they play but I hate baseball season! Jut ready for us to be in it come June/July!

^^^

When Hockey is over, that means the only sport I have to watch is MLB. Don't get me wrong, I support the Tigers and stuff when they play but I hate baseball season! Jut ready for us to be in it come June/July!

Yeah you would think that the summer of all seasons would have the most entertaining sports.... but all we get is 100 games too many of baseball.

If you think baseball isn't entertaining, either you root for a s***ty team, or you have no clue what anyone is doing and don't care to learn. I don't necessarily care for basketball or football, but I can at least understand that it has a lot of entertainment value and excitement for people.

If you think baseball isn't entertaining, either you root for a s***ty team, or you have no clue what anyone is doing and don't care to learn. I don't necessarily care for basketball or football, but I can at least understand that it has a lot of entertainment value and excitement for people.

I played baseball and find the games at the Major League level to be the most boring off all North American sports.

Come at me.