• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

I agree. There always are people rude enough to vote on this kind of things but I think it was a stupid idea by MLive to put it up in the first place.

Agreed 100%. i want homer to retire more than most people on here, but in his day he's been a great Wing and even had his 30 goal season, but to call him out on a public internet poll....where's the professionalism in that. i agree with 55fan that i hope his family doesn't see that and it's a s***ty way to go out being called out like that on MLive. it's different having threads on here cause it's team discussion with all Wings fans, but something that public is just a bad call by someone at MLive.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#22 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

If Holmsy want's to come back again I'm sure he will. I can't see Holland not letting him back on the team based on how Holland feels about the players that have been on the team for so long. He's still capable of reeking havoc in front of the net so that's something that would keep him on this team. He's still effective and has some really good hockey smarts and would be a good veteran leader to help show some of the younger guys what to do and how to be physical in front of the net. He'd be a good guy to keep if the right deal can be worked out.

#23 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

I wonder if the scenario is set up so that if Lidstrom returns then Holmstrom returns as well as the opposite.

#24 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Give him a job interviewing the players before the game and play snippets of the conversations during lulls in the game.

You'd probably need a corporate sponsor (IKEA?) since every little bit of chitchat is brought to you by someone nowadays.

If not on the ice, I think a perfect spot for Homer would be as a paid sidekick/chauffeur/personal assistant to convince Lids to come back for at least another year. Maybe he could do stuff like stand in front of & screen reporters so they can't ask questions... I could see that for sure :hehe:

I say that btw as a huge Homer fan. With all he's done for the organization & with all the abuse he's taken year after year, he does deserve to go out on his own terms. I do have a feeling he'll go through the same process that Drapes & Malts got i.e. having to earn a spot with the potential of being sent to GR if he does come back next year.

Edited by ogreslayer, 02 April 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#25 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

I think Homer's earned the right to decide what he wants to do. Also, I think Homer should be the least of our worries - I'm way more frazzled with certain players in theirs 20s and early 30s who aren't contributing up to their level than I am with Homer. Homer may not be the player he used to be, but he still works his butt off while others take a free ride, which puts even more pressure on him. When your one still-functional sentimental favorite has a bad night, it shouldn't completely unravel the whole team. There should be other players there to step in and pick up the slack, but instead certain guys don't seem to be willing to put in the effort, and that's their problem, not Homer's. I can't read minds, but if I had to guess, I'd say that's where everybody's negativity is coming from on this issue. The whole team's got a problem, and it's unfairly putting the spotlight on Homer, in my opinion.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")