• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
PROBIE4PREZ

Detroit has inside track on Parise

Rate this topic

With all this cap space and after a 5-game first round exit... Is anyone else terrified we're going to get to July 2 and Holland drops the "We plan on sitting back a few weeks and seeing what's left in the market" dagger?

I am afraid that he won't do anything again, but that's only because that's what we're used to now. I can't see how he wouldn't make any big moves this summer via trades or free agency. That would be like a fireman going to a burning building and saying "I'll just wait and see if it rains first or maybe this glass of water will do the trick". Not saying that the Wings are on fire, but its his job to keep the team, that's not in the rebuilding process, competitive. His inaction as GM is starting to show. The team has been finishing earlier each year, getting older each year and we have more cap space now than ever. Unless he's trying to get fired, he'll make some moves this summer.

If Parise and Suter either re-sign with their respective clubs (higher chance of Suter re-signing than Parise, but...) or have their rights traded and sign with their new clubs before July 1st, then there's always a chance that will happen. I think everyone admits that there's a pretty steep drop in available talent after those two.

I think the likely outcome if that were to happen is for Kenny to shift his priorities to finding ways to improve this team in the trade market.

This is my biggest concern by far. Given the apparent likelihood of them hitting UFA and their elite status, there's no way the Devils and Predators don't dangle their rights to get something in return before than walk. Then its a bidding war for first crack at the bidding war. Obviously there is no guarantee either would sign with a team that obtained their rights, but it is a huge advantage (over a week between the Draft and July 1) and one would think a good gesture in the eyes of the player.

I think Kenny HAS to be aggressive and make a play for the rights of Parise (preferred), Suter, or both at or before the draft, else he's taking a high risk of getting to free agency with no game-changers for a team that sorely needs one. If the Wings do get first crack, I have no doubt they would sign before July 1 and probably a good deal cheaper.

Just a little something to keep in mind, this is one of the first off seasons that the Wings have a sizeable chunk of cap room. Also, Nashville has a rather tough choice to make here. There is almost no way they will be able to re-sign Suter and Weber(next year). Both would have to take the old "hometown discount" to remain Preds.

Typically I'm not too crazy about teams trading for the negotiating rights of a player. However, if Holland chose to go that route this summer I would be opposed because I think it could proove invaluable on multiple fronts. If Holland were to trade for Parise's rights and then sign him it would only further aid in helping to sign Suter (if he in fact becomes avaialable and truly does want to play with Parise). That being said, after seeing teams excahnge picks for the rights to players like Ehroff last summer the asking price for negotiating rights may be a little crazy (just as the trade market has been over the last year and change).

Why do people keep saying that teams will overpay way too much for Parise?

Hes a legit 35+ goal scorer consistently with a 94 point season 2 years ago. He would be worth an offer of 8 million. Do people really expect teams to offer that much more than 8 million? Thats probably his high end worth but if he signed for that much I wuoldnt be pissed about it at all.

With a 27 year old, legit goal scorer the wings need to take a run at him and even pay a bit more than usual because they need to supplement this aging core with guys who can get it done for another 7 years. Adding Parise would be the re tool on the fly everyone hates to see the wings always capable of doing

The only things I fear with regards to Parise and Suter is that usually with Holland, no one gets more than Dats/Lids. If Lids comes back at 6+ mil then the plan is f***ed. If he takes the 1.2 mil Yzerman discount for the final year, we're in busuness. If the Dats salary comes into play, which is what...6.7 mil? Then if Parise and Suter are both offered 6.7 mil/year for 5 years to contend for the cup all 5 years then would they be smart to turn it down for an extra 1 mil a year to play for a crap team like the Wild? Hopefully some players still play for the real prize... If Holland gets Lids for 1.5 even and Parise and Suter for 7 mil each, then there's still room left to get Helm re-signed for 2 mil/year and Prust for the same. That would make for a pretty damn good line-up. Stuart, Hudler and Homer are gone and Smith/Nyquist are up full time. This is also assuming that Prust will leave the Rangers...

The only things I fear with regards to Parise and Suter is that usually with Holland, no one gets more than Dats/Lids. If Lids comes back at 6+ mil then the plan is f***ed. If he takes the 1.2 mil Yzerman discount for the final year, we're in busuness. If the Dats salary comes into play, which is what...6.7 mil? Then if Parise and Suter are both offered 6.7 mil/year for 5 years to contend for the cup all 5 years then would they be smart to turn it down for an extra 1 mil a year to play for a crap team like the Wild? Hopefully some players still play for the real prize... If Holland gets Lids for 1.5 even and Parise and Suter for 7 mil each, then there's still room left to get Helm re-signed for 2 mil/year and Prust for the same. That would make for a pretty damn good line-up. Stuart, Hudler and Homer are gone and Smith/Nyquist are up full time. This is also assuming that Prust will leave the Rangers...

Some players do play for the Stanley Cup and take less. Detroit has been signing players like this to deals where they could get so much more from other teams. Yet they come here to play for the cup and take less. Hell, if I had the choice between $2 million, or $1.5 million to play in a place that would contend for the cup, I would contend for the cup. Same goes for a player like Rafalski, who took $5 million a season instead of the $6 million per season that the Devils were offering him.

Why not Nash? No talk about getting a big power forward who, with his current toilet team, is a 30 - 40 goal scorer? His only NHL playoff experience is when we spanked him in 4 but his international play while surrounded by talent is pretty good. Plus, I thought we had to get bigger and tougher. He is a power forward in the mold of Shanny. People say that there is no way that C'bus would trade to us but that GM knows he only has one shot to keep his job. Franzen perhaps could be trade bait with a couple picks or secondary guy(s). Anyhow, we need to get a little tougher, meaner, and nastier. I remember the interviews after the 1997 Cup win and Cotsonika said that Bowman told him that we decided to "get a little less pretty and a little more gritty". I hold that to be great advice for Kenny right now.

Some players do play for the Stanley Cup and take less. Detroit has been signing players like this to deals where they could get so much more from other teams. Yet they come here to play for the cup and take less. Hell, if I had the choice between $2 million, or $1.5 million to play in a place that would contend for the cup, I would contend for the cup. Same goes for a player like Rafalski, who took $5 million a season instead of the $6 million per season that the Devils were offering him.

That's more or less what I was getting at, I just took the long road there. I'm hoping that they take a slight cut to compete for a cup. If Kenny could get Lids cheap and get Parise, Suter and Prust then the wings are the beast of the NHL again...see below ridiculous lines:

Parise - Dats - Mule

Flip - Z - Goose

Prust - Helm - Bertuzzi/Cleary

Eaves/Cleary - Abby - Miller

Mursak

Suter - Kronwall

Lids - White

Smith - Ericsson

Kindl

J-Ho/Joey Mac

That's filthy good...

Another aspect of Lids and Whoever giving up some salary for either or both these players is how those guys would react when they heard that news. They'd have to be flattered. They'd have to understand how much our guys would like them to come to the Wings. That has to add to the chances of getting them. Sounds good, anyway! :blush:

Just a little something to keep in mind, this is one of the first off seasons that the Wings have a sizeable chunk of cap room. Also, Nashville has a rather tough choice to make here. There is almost no way they will be able to re-sign Suter and Weber(next year). Both would have to take the old "hometown discount" to remain Preds.

Unfortunately, that isn't really true. Nashville has a TON of cap space. While they have more players to sign than the Wings, they definitely have the cap to make it work.

Right now they have 32 million in cap space for next season. They could sign Suter, Weber, AND Radulov to significant contracts and STILL have around 10-12 million in cap space to work with.

Unfortunately, that isn't really true. Nashville has a TON of cap space. While they have more players to sign than the Wings, they definitely have the cap to make it work.

Right now they have 32 million in cap space for next season. They could sign Suter, Weber, AND Radulov to significant contracts and STILL have around 10-12 million in cap space to work with.

Could you imagine if they kept Suter and signed Parise?

Could you imagine if they kept Suter and signed Parise?

Scary thing is they could afford it. LGW would implode.

If I'm Nashville, I'm making it my priority to give Weber and Suter ANYTHING they want. Nashville can afford to match what even the most desperate teams would pay for them. I'll be curious to see what they do with Radulov though. Given the limited amount of NHL time he's had, I can't really predict the range that his salary will be in.

I don't think that's an accurate assessment of Nashville. While it is true they will have a ton of cap space it is only true because they have 15 players who will be RFA or UFA after this year. Sign Suter, Weber, and Rads and leave 10-12 mil for another 12 players which includes both Kostitsyns, MacLellan, Gaustad, Tootoo, Gill, and a number of others? Me thinks not.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=19

Edited by rrasco

To sign 12 players....

I suppose if you signed a bunch of guys to minimum contracts to keep guys like Gill and both Kostitsyns it could work. But there is no way the Predators will be seriously in on Parise.

To sign 12 players....

I suppose if you signed a bunch of guys to minimum contracts to keep guys like Gill and both Kostitsyns it could work. But there is no way the Predators will be seriously in on Parise.

Never once did I say they would be. I said Suter, Weber and Radulov.

Another aspect of Lids and Whoever giving up some salary for either or both these players is how those guys would react when they heard that news. They'd have to be flattered. They'd have to understand how much our guys would like them to come to the Wings. That has to add to the chances of getting them. Sounds good, anyway! :blush:

Hey it worked with Hull...he mentioned more than once that he was impressed with the fact that Yzerman and Shanahan both tooks cuts (actually they deferred salary) in order to sign him... I wish Lids would tell Holland that he will sign for "whatever it takes" to get Suter AND Parise here...

They can.

I never said they would or should. But they can. Its math. Two players do not = 32 million.

When you talk about being able to afford him as well as sign a full roster, they can't do it. They won't give up on all of their players like Gill and the K brothers just to sign an offensive powerhouse (which would go against their entire team philosophy anyway).

I'm not even sure they could afford him even if they could sign the rest of their roster to bare minimum contracts.

I'm not sure they can afford the players they have under contract now while giving a raise to Weber, Suter, Rads and have any attempt to go after another 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 million dollar forward. This all goes under the presumption Rads doesn't just bolt back to the KHL next year anyways, which I was under the impression was originally supposed to happen....Either way, I don't see Nashville in the running for Parise, whether they can afford it or not.

How much cap space a team has is a lot different than how much a team can actually spend. The suggestion that Nashville can "afford" to sign all those guys to big contracts ignores one fact -- the Preds have never shown any inclination to spend to the cap, and in that market with what must surely be bottom-third revenue, who can blame them? I suppose if they go to the finals and have 12 or so home playoff games they might be more inclined to ramp up their spending next season, but I would bet that they will not spend anywhere near the cap.

It would be an insult to offer a deal that small to a Hall of Famer like Lidstrom. Parise is going to get offered around 8Mil per year to play in his hometown I'm guessing. 7.5Mil at the lowest. Suter should get 7 Per year. And the Wild actually aren't a crap team. They were first in the league for the first half of the year until everyone and their brother got injured on that team, and they have (in all seriousness) a better future than the Wings because they have a talented, deep prospect pool which Detroit lacks. It's going to be hard to get Parise and/or Suter here. There will be plenty of competition that's for sure.