• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Another aspect of Lids and Whoever giving up some salary for either or both these players is how those guys would react when they heard that news. They'd have to be flattered. They'd have to understand how much our guys would like them to come to the Wings. That has to add to the chances of getting them. Sounds good, anyway! :blush:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#62 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Just a little something to keep in mind, this is one of the first off seasons that the Wings have a sizeable chunk of cap room. Also, Nashville has a rather tough choice to make here. There is almost no way they will be able to re-sign Suter and Weber(next year). Both would have to take the old "hometown discount" to remain Preds.

Unfortunately, that isn't really true. Nashville has a TON of cap space. While they have more players to sign than the Wings, they definitely have the cap to make it work.

Right now they have 32 million in cap space for next season. They could sign Suter, Weber, AND Radulov to significant contracts and STILL have around 10-12 million in cap space to work with.
Posted Image

#63 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Unfortunately, that isn't really true. Nashville has a TON of cap space. While they have more players to sign than the Wings, they definitely have the cap to make it work.

Right now they have 32 million in cap space for next season. They could sign Suter, Weber, AND Radulov to significant contracts and STILL have around 10-12 million in cap space to work with.

Could you imagine if they kept Suter and signed Parise?
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#64 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Could you imagine if they kept Suter and signed Parise?

Scary thing is they could afford it. LGW would implode.

If I'm Nashville, I'm making it my priority to give Weber and Suter ANYTHING they want. Nashville can afford to match what even the most desperate teams would pay for them. I'll be curious to see what they do with Radulov though. Given the limited amount of NHL time he's had, I can't really predict the range that his salary will be in.
Posted Image

#65 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

I don't think that's an accurate assessment of Nashville. While it is true they will have a ton of cap space it is only true because they have 15 players who will be RFA or UFA after this year. Sign Suter, Weber, and Rads and leave 10-12 mil for another 12 players which includes both Kostitsyns, MacLellan, Gaustad, Tootoo, Gill, and a number of others? Me thinks not.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=19

Edited by rrasco, 25 April 2012 - 03:14 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#66 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

To sign 12 players....

I suppose if you signed a bunch of guys to minimum contracts to keep guys like Gill and both Kostitsyns it could work. But there is no way the Predators will be seriously in on Parise.

Posted Image

#67 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

To sign 12 players....

I suppose if you signed a bunch of guys to minimum contracts to keep guys like Gill and both Kostitsyns it could work. But there is no way the Predators will be seriously in on Parise.

Never once did I say they would be. I said Suter, Weber and Radulov.
Posted Image

#68 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Another aspect of Lids and Whoever giving up some salary for either or both these players is how those guys would react when they heard that news. They'd have to be flattered. They'd have to understand how much our guys would like them to come to the Wings. That has to add to the chances of getting them. Sounds good, anyway! :blush:

Hey it worked with Hull...he mentioned more than once that he was impressed with the fact that Yzerman and Shanahan both tooks cuts (actually they deferred salary) in order to sign him... I wish Lids would tell Holland that he will sign for "whatever it takes" to get Suter AND Parise here...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#69 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Never once did I say they would be. I said Suter, Weber and Radulov.

You said they could afford it. They can't.

Posted Image

#70 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Parise just texted me and said F Detroit! They don't pay market value!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#71 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

You said they could afford it. They can't.

They can.

I never said they would or should. But they can. Its math. Two players do not = 32 million.
Posted Image

#72 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

They can.

I never said they would or should. But they can. Its math. Two players do not = 32 million.

When you talk about being able to afford him as well as sign a full roster, they can't do it. They won't give up on all of their players like Gill and the K brothers just to sign an offensive powerhouse (which would go against their entire team philosophy anyway).

I'm not even sure they could afford him even if they could sign the rest of their roster to bare minimum contracts.

Posted Image

#73 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'm not sure they can afford the players they have under contract now while giving a raise to Weber, Suter, Rads and have any attempt to go after another 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 million dollar forward. This all goes under the presumption Rads doesn't just bolt back to the KHL next year anyways, which I was under the impression was originally supposed to happen....Either way, I don't see Nashville in the running for Parise, whether they can afford it or not.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#74 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

How much cap space a team has is a lot different than how much a team can actually spend. The suggestion that Nashville can "afford" to sign all those guys to big contracts ignores one fact -- the Preds have never shown any inclination to spend to the cap, and in that market with what must surely be bottom-third revenue, who can blame them? I suppose if they go to the finals and have 12 or so home playoff games they might be more inclined to ramp up their spending next season, but I would bet that they will not spend anywhere near the cap.

#75 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

The only things I fear with regards to Parise and Suter is that usually with Holland, no one gets more than Dats/Lids. If Lids comes back at 6+ mil then the plan is f***ed. If he takes the 1.2 mil Yzerman discount for the final year, we're in busuness. If the Dats salary comes into play, which is what...6.7 mil? Then if Parise and Suter are both offered 6.7 mil/year for 5 years to contend for the cup all 5 years then would they be smart to turn it down for an extra 1 mil a year to play for a crap team like the Wild? Hopefully some players still play for the real prize... If Holland gets Lids for 1.5 even and Parise and Suter for 7 mil each, then there's still room left to get Helm re-signed for 2 mil/year and Prust for the same. That would make for a pretty damn good line-up. Stuart, Hudler and Homer are gone and Smith/Nyquist are up full time. This is also assuming that Prust will leave the Rangers...

It would be an insult to offer a deal that small to a Hall of Famer like Lidstrom. Parise is going to get offered around 8Mil per year to play in his hometown I'm guessing. 7.5Mil at the lowest. Suter should get 7 Per year. And the Wild actually aren't a crap team. They were first in the league for the first half of the year until everyone and their brother got injured on that team, and they have (in all seriousness) a better future than the Wings because they have a talented, deep prospect pool which Detroit lacks. It's going to be hard to get Parise and/or Suter here. There will be plenty of competition that's for sure.

#76 WingNut 25

WingNut 25

Minister of Defense - Red Wings Nation West

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

The true insult would be a 42 year old getting $6+ million next year. We all respect the hell out of Nick but he was overpaid this year. It would be a tragic mistake to give him more than $2 million should he return.

#77 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

It would be an insult to offer a deal that small to a Hall of Famer like Lidstrom. Parise is going to get offered around 8Mil per year to play in his hometown I'm guessing. 7.5Mil at the lowest. Suter should get 7 Per year. And the Wild actually aren't a crap team. They were first in the league for the first half of the year until everyone and their brother got injured on that team, and they have (in all seriousness) a better future than the Wings because they have a talented, deep prospect pool which Detroit lacks. It's going to be hard to get Parise and/or Suter here. There will be plenty of competition that's for sure.

High end talent with Grandlund and Hackett I can see but depth wise really? Can you link me those competent authors by the way? I still don't see how Minnesota's prospect pool is so much better.

#78 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

The true insult would be a 42 year old getting $6+ million next year. We all respect the hell out of Nick but he was overpaid this year. It would be a tragic mistake to give him more than $2 million should he return.

I don't think 2 is fair, but I agree it shouldn't be 6 at this point. The problem is, we're paying Big E 3.25 a season and while he improved some towards the end of the season and playoffs, he still can't stand in the shadow of Nick.

Edited by Yzermania, 26 April 2012 - 01:22 AM.

#79 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

With all respect, nothing would say "You are old and need to retire" more than offering Nick a 1 year 2 mil contract. When they attempt to retain him and bring him back for one more season, that significant of a pay cut wouldn't be the right direction to take if they really want him to stay. I can see him getting dropped to as low as 4 mil, but not all the way down to 2.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#80 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

With all respect, nothing would say "You are old and need to retire" more than offering Nick a 1 year 2 mil contract. When they attempt to retain him and bring him back for one more season, that significant of a pay cut wouldn't be the right direction to take if they really want him to stay. I can see him getting dropped to as low as 4 mil, but not all the way down to 2.

Holland would probably just ask Lids how much does he want to play one more year. I don't think Holland is going to 'negotiate', but rather give Lids whatever it takes.