• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

Didn't Wings fans boo Fedorov when he went to Anaheim? Jagr played for the Pens for a decade in his prime. Then when he decides to return to the NHL he goes to their arch rival.

while I don't get Hossa booing at JLA, I have total understanding when it comes to Fedorov. the way he handled negotiations with the Wings and finally ditched them, I can understand people being angry. sure, the fact that he felt like a franchise player for a decade doesn't help his case, but IMHO the negotiations and the way he handled them is what pissed me off.

can't judge whether it's the same situation with Jagr, and the fact that he went to the arch rival surely makes it worse. on the other hand... I don't really see this "he played ther for a decade" argument for Jagr and Penguins fans. most of those fans didn't even see a game with Jagr on a TV, because back they they're busy in a sand pit or pre-school :( and the bandwaggoners probably didn't even hear about the NHL before... :(

as for Malkin and Pens play... I think they escaped a fair number of slashing penalties in this game, and Malkin yet again going punk without a call doesn't really wonder me. but the game, in general, has been pretty good officiated. considering the situation (late season, likely playoff opponents, interstate rivals, lot of bad blood... and these are Flyers, mind you!) you have to give the refs big thumbs up...

#42 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

I really do hope the Eastern Conference standings don't change so we can all watch this carnage take place once again in a few weeks.

Stay tuned folks because we're going to get a repeat this coming Saturday because they get to play each other again :yowza: . In fact, I think I heard one of the Flyers mention he can't wait for this coming Saturday.

Edited by Hockeymom1960, 02 April 2012 - 05:51 AM.

#43 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

They play each other again on Saturday and by looking at the standings, they're pretty much a lock to play each other in the first round. The Pens won't catch the Rangers and NJ is too far off to catch either of them. Let the bloodbath begin!

#44 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

Scott Hartnell ‏ @Hartsy19
Almost had to give someone Hulksters classic finishing move #Thelegdrop hahahahaahahah. Just kidding.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#45 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Interesting how Granato always seems to be involved in this kind of stuff where the coaches start after each other. Wherever he goes, douchebaggery seems to follow.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#46 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

That was quite a weekend for Wayne Simmonds.

#47 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

That was quite a weekend for Wayne Simmonds.

I'm so bummed the Kings traded him for Richards. Though maybe that increases the chances that one day he'll be a Wing? :D

Just a great young player. Not afraid to go to the tough areas of the ice. Can score goals, hit, fight. And he's still improving.

#48 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Milbury's in rare form regarding this game. :lol:

One of the instigators of the fight was the Penguins’ Sidney Crosby. “Little goody two shoes [Crosby] goes into the corner and gives a shot to Schenn. Schenn was late to the party, he should have turned around and drilled him right away, but I guess better late than never,” Milbury said. “So you know, Crosby gets cross-checked, big whoop. He said after he came back from his 35th concussion, ‘I’m not going to do this anymore, I’m not going to get into this scrums, I’m going to stay away from that stuff.’ He couldn’t help himself because there’s a little punk in Crosby. He’s not the perfect gentleman. He’s not the sweet kid you see in interviews with his hat pulled down over his eyes. I’d say screw him, hit him,” he said.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#49 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Interesting how Granato always seems to be involved in this kind of stuff where the coaches start after each other. Wherever he goes, douchebaggery seems to follow.

esteef

He hid behind tough guys his whole career, really.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#50 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Lavi fined $10k, Pits ass't Granato fined $2.5k.

Edited by Tim.D, 02 April 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#51 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hartnell's taunting of the Pens fan dressed like the hulk was priceless, haven't seen such an amusing player/fan interaction since Tie Domi in Philadelphia.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#52 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Does anyone else just salivate at the thought of a Pens/Flyers first round series?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#53 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

TSN.ca - Fraser: All about Schenn's hit on Sidney Crosby

The appropriate protocol was followed by the referee(s) on the ice. Brayden Shenn was placed in the penalty box as the play was being reviewed to determine the legitimacy of a potentially undetected goal. When the goal scored by Sullivan was confirmed, the penalty to Schenn was nullified since it had occurred prior to the stoppage of play for icing.

The rule is very specific stating that any infraction worthy of a minor penalty which is committed after play is stopped following the scoring of a goal is to be assessed in the normal manner. This is designed to deter players from taking liberties once they have been scored upon. Of course if the infraction is deemed worthy of a major or match penalty it would be assessed regardless of whether it had occurred prior to or after play was stopped. Additionally misconduct penalties are to be assessed and served.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#54 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Wow! I can't believe Milbury said that. Good for him. Although, I think he likes to say things to get attention, so whether or not he actually believes that is a good question.

For all the people whining about the crosscheck on Crosby (not so much here, but on comments of articles and other message boards), that hit from Schenn was nothing. It was essentially a tap and Crosby flops to the ground like he was hit by a sniper. How many times have we seen him with the puck and defensemen are slamming into him, crosschecking him, basically using their whole body to try and knock him off the puck and Crosby stays on his feet. He gets tapped from behind without a puck and down he goes? Not buying it.

#55 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

Wow! I can't believe Milbury said that. Good for him. Although, I think he likes to say things to get attention, so whether or not he actually believes that is a good question.

For all the people whining about the crosscheck on Crosby (not so much here, but on comments of articles and other message boards), that hit from Schenn was nothing. It was essentially a tap and Crosby flops to the ground like he was hit by a sniper. How many times have we seen him with the puck and defensemen are slamming into him, crosschecking him, basically using their whole body to try and knock him off the puck and Crosby stays on his feet. He gets tapped from behind without a puck and down he goes? Not buying it.

Yeah, one thing you hear about Crosby is "strong on the puck". Anyone can slip or catch a rut or just lose their balance, but their body language afterwards is a pretty good indication as to whether or not they just fell/slipped or if they were diving.

Sid looked like he was pushing for a penalty.

(Happy b-day, BTW)

#56 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

Yeah, one thing you hear about Crosby is "strong on the puck". Anyone can slip or catch a rut or just lose their balance, but their body language afterwards is a pretty good indication as to whether or not they just fell/slipped or if they were diving.

Sid looked like he was pushing for a penalty.

(Happy b-day, BTW)

Thanks! :D

#57 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

Those spittle marks on McGuire's head should buff right out.

#58 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

Can you imagine if that was at the Joe with that little tiny area that Murph has to squeeze into?

I'm surprised they didn't use Pierre as a stepping stone and jump across to the other side. I'm sure from their angle, he did look like a rock in a stream.

#59 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

That's just good old rivalry hockey. Rivalries build character. The Red Wings used to have rivalries... no, seriously, I'm not kidding, they did. It was a LOOONNNGGG time ago, kiddies, way back in the 1990's! Now they have a team that goes out of its way not to ruffle any feathers...

#60 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

Man, I wish Scott Hartnell was a Wing.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.