• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

4/4 GDT : Red Wings 3 at Blues 2 (SO)

Rate this topic

What a game. Lots of good things to take away from this. Anyone surprised the inexperienced started to lose their composure when the going got tough? And Kronwall stepped up on Reaves.

That is the knock on St. Louis going into the playoffs. The majority of the guys on their roster are pretty young and inexperienced in the playoffs, with the exceptions of Jason Arnott, Jamie Langenbrunner, and Andy McDonald. I'm looking forward to seeing if these guys can lead the Blues to success. It will be interesting to see how they fare, seeing as how they're near the top of the West.

Seriously, send Kindl down, bring Smith back up.

Seriously, waivers... plus there's no roster limit after the trade deadline.

Wings have seven better defensemen than Kindl so they're in no hurry to get rid of him, but he should feel the pressure to show the team management something before the next season begins.

What a game. Lots of good things to take away from this. Anyone surprised the inexperienced started to lose their composure when the going got tough? And Kronwall stepped up on Reaves.

Yeah I kind of expected that. The Blues are a good team, no question, but they're inexperienced and that "defense first" style that they play right now... everybody will be playing that way next week. I do think they'll win in the first round, but unless we have some sort of playoff disaster in the West, I think they'll get bounced in the second round.

blues_82996.jpg

Lol i love st.louis fans

"Oh no! Maybe we shouldn't have started screaming 'Red Wings suck'" i thought it was beautiful once they started talking s*** the game just reversed itself. St.louis fans, take notes from Winnipeg fans... you should probably just keep your mouths shut and cheer your own team instead of fueling the opponents. Oh well, some fanbases just dont get it.

Kindl WTF dude?

Yeah. I'm not a huge fan of Kindl's by far but I felt like outside of those huge mistakes he played pretty solid and looked pretty good out there. But those mistakes were quite costly. Maybe he'll learn from them, who knows? I expect he'll be the next dman to sit out a game.

First...

Great game. I think both teams played very well. It was a playoff-like game and it was a good one. The Blues definitely showed up to play...I was wondering how they would approach this game and they brought it.

Second...

The reffing was pretty bad.

How do they make those two calls on Steen and the overreaction call on Reaves (maybe two minutes for that, but 5 and a game?? Really?) and then not make a call on Franzen's cheap shot? If you are going to make the calls like those on the Blues, you have to make the call on Franzen. It was a dirty, cheap shot to the face that draws blood after the period is over. How does that not get called? Even the NBC guys were dumbfounded as to why there wasn't a call. It should have been a major, it was intentional and it drew blood...it wasn't an accidental high stick that drew blood.

Anway...

Third...

Goaltending was very good. All of the goals scored were good ones. Nothing weak or "he should have had that one" type of goals.

I knew Bertuzzi was going to score. I could just feel it. I can't stand him, but that was a heck of a shot.

I thought the Blues had it...but Detroit did what they always seem to do against us...make a huge push late and tie it up/go ahead. Kudos to them. I want to say in 4 of the 6 games, the Blues had the lead in the 3rd four times...? Not sure...I'd have to look it up.

I'd love to see the Blues and Wings in the playoffs.

Ericsson has take a lot of s*** on this board, but when you think about it he is the only d-man with size that can match up with the power forward reality of the NHL these days. He has progressed nicely with puck decisions and physicality this year. Yes, he has been a project, but I think Holland might have been correct on this one and I notice a big diff since he has been back w/ Lids.

Totally agree.

I used to be like, get this effing guy outta here, but as of lately he is really coming around. Hopefully he's getting some Liddy D-wisdom sinking in. Now if it were a perfect world I would like to see a hint of Chara or Pronger added.

All in all it was a great ending, wicked hands Bert, would love to see the guys play a full game like the last 10min of this game.

Alright, I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge that the second goal was on Kindl, but I'm really not understanding how the first one was? It wasn't the greatest pass in the world in that it didn't hit Filppula in stride, but it still got to his stick and he just didn't handle it that well. Personally I don't really think you can put that solely on Kindl, if indeed you feel the need to blame someone. As a matter of fact I'm not really sure why there needs to be someone for every game, who becomes the goat around here. Guys have bad games. It happens. Kindl has by no means played so poorly that he should be subject to half the criticisms leveled against him. Waive him? Don't play him again? Promote Smith? It's Kindl's rookie season. Shouldn't we give him a year or two first? Like we did with Fischer, Kronwall, Ericsson, etc. etc. etc.

Edited by kipwinger

First...

Great game. I think both teams played very well. It was a playoff-like game and it was a good one. The Blues definitely showed up to play...I was wondering how they would approach this game and they brought it.

Second...

The reffing was pretty bad.

How do they make those two calls on Steen and the overreaction call on Reaves (maybe two minutes for that, but 5 and a game?? Really?) and then not make a call on Franzen's cheap shot? If you are going to make the calls like those on the Blues, you have to make the call on Franzen. It was a dirty, cheap shot to the face that draws blood after the period is over. How does that not get called? Even the NBC guys were dumbfounded as to why there wasn't a call. It should have been a major, it was intentional and it drew blood...it wasn't an accidental high stick that drew blood.

Anway...

Third...

Goaltending was very good. All of the goals scored were good ones. Nothing weak or "he should have had that one" type of goals.

I knew Bertuzzi was going to score. I could just feel it. I can't stand him, but that was a heck of a shot.

I thought the Blues had it...but Detroit did what they always seem to do against us...make a huge push late and tie it up/go ahead. Kudos to them. I want to say in 4 of the 6 games, the Blues had the lead in the 3rd four times...? Not sure...I'd have to look it up.

I'd love to see the Blues and Wings in the playoffs.

Honestly, as much as you guys want to sit there and say the reffing was horrible, we can sit there and say the same thing. They allowed A LOT of cheap s*** to happen, and it WAS happening all game. Although I feel like they should've been calling more things, I think they should've kept things alone also but they're also trying to ensure safety with the playoffs right around the corner. Do Blue fans feel like they got cheated out of a game? Sure, whatever have that feeling. Now about the whole Franzen thing, none of us got a clear cut image of what happened but all i've heard from people at the game was Backes threw a dive, Franzen got pissed. If anything, they would've gotten offsetting penalties. I feel the 5 minute powerplay and game misconduct was very very effy but it was a dangerous play and a careless one at that, so I can see why it was called. **EDIT** All in all, that 5 minute powerplay probably motivated you guys more than it helped us. I do believe you guys got a lighting bolt shot through your team and got a shorty. All the 5 minute powerplay ultimately did was fuel you guys and put us in the dog house with babs. **EDIT** I do believe quite vividly Kronwall getting choked with a stick and being dragged to the ground with absolutely no call. So if we want to start throwing the ref excuse, we can do it all day. Just take off your homer glasses before judging how the game is being officiated. One thing i'll say, I love the energy the Blues fans brought to this game, but i'll give you alittle insider news. You should probably cheer your own team on instead of fueling a powerhouse veteran team like Detroit with bulls*** chants of "Red Wings suck!". I thought we were playing Chicago last night when I start hearing that bulls***. But hey, we all know how the cookie crumbled. All in all, I thought it was a good game and i'll say thanks for instilling some confidence back into our team.

Edited by evilzyme

Lol i love st.louis fans

"Oh no! Maybe we shouldn't have started screaming 'Red Wings suck'" i thought it was beautiful once they started talking s*** the game just reversed itself. St.louis fans, take notes from Winnipeg fans... you should probably just keep your mouths shut and cheer your own team instead of fueling the opponents. Oh well, some fanbases just dont get it.

You have no idea how awesome it was to hear them shut up

Honestly, as much as you guys want to sit there and say the reffing was horrible, we can sit there and say the same thing. They allowed A LOT of cheap s*** to happen, and it WAS happening all game. Although I feel like they should've been calling more things, I think they should've kept things alone also but they're also trying to ensure safety with the playoffs right around the corner. Do Blue fans feel like they got cheated out of a game? Sure, whatever have that feeling. Now about the whole Franzen thing, none of us got a clear cut image of what happened but all i've heard from people at the game was Backes threw a dive, Franzen got pissed. If anything, they would've gotten offsetting penalties. I feel the 5 minute powerplay and game misconduct was very very effy but it was a dangerous play and a careless one at that, so I can see why it was called. **EDIT** All in all, that 5 minute powerplay probably motivated you guys more than it helped us. I do believe you guys got a lighting bolt shot through your team and got a shorty. All the 5 minute powerplay ultimately did was fuel you guys and put us in the dog house with babs. **EDIT** I do believe quite vividly Kronwall getting choked with a stick and being dragged to the ground with absolutely no call. So if we want to start throwing the ref excuse, we can do it all day. Just take off your homer glasses before judging how the game is being officiated. One thing i'll say, I love the energy the Blues fans brought to this game, but i'll give you alittle insider news. You should probably cheer your own team on instead of fueling a powerhouse veteran team like Detroit with bulls*** chants of "Red Wings suck!". I thought we were playing Chicago last night when I start hearing that bulls***. But hey, we all know how the cookie crumbled. All in all, I thought it was a good game and i'll say thanks for instilling some confidence back into our team.

Yup, the non-call on Steen when he got tangled up with Kronwall behind the net should have been a penalty. That probably should have been called. No question.

I have no problem with letting teams play and not calling minor stuff or incidental stuff...especially in a game like last night's. AS LONG AS THEY ARE CONSISTENT.

The Franzen play was unusual and anything but minor or incidental. It was malicious and intentional. Franzen cross checks Backes in the face, drawing blood, then punches him in the head when he is down. I'm not sure why you think Backes dove. I just watched the replay a few times...didn't look like a dive to me. And even if he did...does it matter? It's still a major penalty on Franzen and 2 minutes on Backes.

Maybe if Backes had laid on the ice, face down, and writing in pain like Stuart did...then maybe a penalty is called. Who knows.

I think if you are calling penalties on Steen and Reaves for ticky tack stuff (especially pushing Bertuzzi down at the side of the net), then you HAVE TO call Franzen for what he did. My God. Even if the refs missed the cross check to the face, one ref was right there and saw the punch to the head while he was down.

I'm sure every one of you guys thought the 3rd would be starting with the Blues on the PP.

That looks like 5 minutes and a game misconduct for Franzen if you ask me. Just my opinion.

So the Reaves hit was maybe two minutes according to you, but the Franzen play is a major and game misconduct? That's hysterical. The Reaves penalty is "ticky tacky"? He leveled Stuart face first into the boards.

The Blues were up 2-0 on their home ice with six minutes left. When the Red Wings really turned it on, the Blues had no answer especially in OT.

Four straight wins against the Blues. Little brother has to be outraged today.

What a STATEMENT game!! That's right.

4-2 against the Blues this year. Take away the 6 OT loser points St.Louis stockpiled and you have a tie at the top of the central. But whatevs.

Also, take the two bone-headed turnovers away and this is a different game.

Also, the Blues need to learn how to take the foot off the gas a bit. They were clearly out of juice for the last 6 minutes of the third and overtime.

Like I've been saying all along, if I were a Blues fan I'd be concerned about the following:

- Do they have an extra gear. Detroit showed tonight that they do.

- Can they sustain their physical, defensive blitz for 60 minutes a game throughout a best-of-seven against an elite, veteran team like the Wings?

Yup, the non-call on Steen when he got tangled up with Kronwall behind the net should have been a penalty. That probably should have been called. No question.

I have no problem with letting teams play and not calling minor stuff or incidental stuff...especially in a game like last night's. AS LONG AS THEY ARE CONSISTENT.

The Franzen play was unusual and anything but minor or incidental. It was malicious and intentional. Franzen cross checks Backes in the face, drawing blood, then punches him in the head when he is down. I'm not sure why you think Backes dove. I just watched the replay a few times...didn't look like a dive to me. And even if he did...does it matter? It's still a major penalty on Franzen and 2 minutes on Backes.

Maybe if Backes had laid on the ice, face down, and writing in pain like Stuart did...then maybe a penalty is called. Who knows.

I think if you are calling penalties on Steen and Reaves for ticky tack stuff (especially pushing Bertuzzi down at the side of the net), then you HAVE TO call Franzen for what he did. My God. Even if the refs missed the cross check to the face, one ref was right there and saw the punch to the head while he was down.

I'm sure every one of you guys thought the 3rd would be starting with the Blues on the PP.

That looks like 5 minutes and a game misconduct for Franzen if you ask me. Just my opinion.

So putting Stuart face first into the glass is ticky tacky? But Franzen's little love tap warrants 5 and a game? :blink:

Reaves was a hit that put Stuart headfirst into the glass, and he was the second guy going in for the hit which makes it look more malicious. 5 minutes and a game was way too much but it should've been a 2 minute minor, and wasn't ticky tacky.

If you've watched the replay with Franzen then you know Mule basically gives Backes a love tap. I'm guessing it normally takes more than that to drop Backes like a sack of potatoes. Sure it could've been a 2 minute minor, but 5 and a game for that would be as bad or worse than the call on Reaves. 2 on Franzen for roughing, 2 on Backes for diving and it's a wash.

Refs let stuff go both ways. Blues fans are probably just pissed they lost. And understandably angry about the Reaves call.

The Blues played a great two and a half periods, but got sloppy when they got the two goal lead. The Wings were able to capitalize.