• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

4/4 GDT : Red Wings 3 at Blues 2 (SO)

Rate this topic

That looks like 5 minutes and a game misconduct for Franzen if you ask me. Just my opinion.

I'm sure it would be, considering Franzen scored both goals in the comeback. That would be convenient for the Boohoos eh? Doesn't look like much of a cross check to the face, more like glove to me. Backes did get cut somehow, I'm just not convinced it was from a facial cross check. Backes flopped just as bad as Thornton did last year. I'm willing to bet that's why there was no call. And then it must be so horrible to get hit on the top of your helmet with a hockey glove, Franzen should have just been tossed right there. /s

Tons of things that could have been called that game, including the Franzen 'cheap shots', but that's all irrelevant at this point. The young guns fell back into a defensive shell and let the Wings find their wheels. Another Bloser point to keep you guys right up there at the top, congratulations.

So the Reaves hit was maybe two minutes according to you, but the Franzen play is a major and game misconduct? That's hysterical. The Reaves penalty is "ticky tacky"? He leveled Stuart face first into the boards.

The Blues were up 2-0 on their home ice with six minutes left. When the Red Wings really turned it on, the Blues had no answer especially in OT.

Four straight wins against the Blues. Little brother has to be outraged today.

Let's break down the Reaves hit...

- Stuart had JUST played the puck, and he was extended from playing the puck and was NOT facing the boards.

- Reaves skates by Stuart and hits him shoulder to shoulder.

- Because Stuart was reaching, the hit caused Stuart to turn into the boards and catch glass with his face.

If you want to give a 2 minute boarding penalty because Stuart's head hit the glass, then ok. I can buy that. But 5 minutes and a game is excessive. But I guess the ref thought there was carelessness on Reaves' part OR they thought he hit him from behind. I disagree with the call, but I can understand why the ref may have thought it was worse than it was...but I disagree with the no-call on Franzen a lot more.

Let's break down the Franzen hit...

- Franzen and Backes are tied up after the end of the 2nd period.

- Franzen obviously upset about something.

- Franzen cross checks Backes in the face, knocking Backes down & drawing blood. Then Franzen punches Backes in the head.

The intent to injur and the drawing blood should have been 5 minutes and a game misconduct.

My main gripe is that if the refs are going to make that call on Reaves and the other ones on Steen, then you can't look the other way on the Franzen hit. That's just horrible officiating. At first I thought, well, maybe they didn't see it...but the video replay shows the ref skating towards them maybe 20 ft. away, looking right at it. He saw it and decided to call nothing.

If Backes had done that to Datsyuk? Forget about it...you guys would be livid and calling for a 5 game suspension.

- Stuart had JUST played the puck, and he was extended from playing the puck and was NOT facing the boards.

- Because Stuart was reaching, the hit caused Stuart to turn into the boards and catch glass with his face.

If you want to give a 2 minute boarding penalty because Stuart's head hit the glass, then ok. I can buy that. But 5 minutes and a game is excessive. But I guess the ref thought there was carelessness on Reaves' part OR they thought he hit him from behind. I disagree with the call, but I can understand why the ref may have thought it was worse than it was...but I disagree with the no-call on Franzen a lot more.

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=26329

It doesn't matter if he has the puck, doesn't have the puck, he doesn't have to face the boards, hell, he doesn't even have to be close to the boards. If a player "...checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently in the boards." This met that criteria, penalty. I don't necessarily agree with the 5 min major, but the ref doesn't get to see a replay like we do. It looked bad, on replay, not so much. I don't see how you can really complain about it in hindsight though. Our PP was terrible, you guys scored a shorty, we took a penalty, and then you guys scored a 4on4 goal. Without a 5 min major, you guys might not have scored at all.

Edited by rrasco

Let's break down the Franzen hit...

- Franzen and Backes are tied up after the end of the 2nd period.

- Franzen obviously upset about something.

- Franzen cross checks Backes in the face, knocking Backes down & drawing blood. Then Franzen punches Backes in the head.

The intent to injur and the drawing blood should have been 5 minutes and a game misconduct.

My main gripe is that if the refs are going to make that call on Reaves and the other ones on Steen, then you can't look the other way on the Franzen hit. That's just horrible officiating. At first I thought, well, maybe they didn't see it...but the video replay shows the ref skating towards them maybe 20 ft. away, looking right at it. He saw it and decided to call nothing.

If Backes had done that to Datsyuk? Forget about it...you guys would be livid and calling for a 5 game suspension.

I was with you up to the Franzen "cross check." Watch the replay. It's a Franzen special: a little gloved punch to the face. Then Backes drops like he's been shot.

If you seriously think that warrants anything more than a 2 minute minor, I don't know what to tell you because it wouldn't get that for any team any day in the NHL.

If Backes had done it to Datsyuk, Dats would still be on his skates and likely coming back after him. Backes tried to draw one and it didn't work, and likely cost him the two minute roughing on Franzen.

We'll just agree to disagree I guess. What's the point in discussing it really when you'll only run back to your site again and quote it as you mock us Wings fans in your GDT?

Guest Hatethedrake!

The main thing I will take from that game is the difference in the goal celebrations. When the Blues scored their 2 goals, they acted like they had won the Stanley Cup. When the Wings scored their 2 goals, it was business as usual. One team has proven they can win it all while the other team hasn't. That poise is what wins in the playoffs. The Wings don't panic when they get down. My main concern is that sometimes they will get too far behind and then not have enough time to tie the game. The Blues sat back too much when they went up 2-0. Growing pains for them I suppose. I view Nashville as more of an obstacle than St. Louis. It was a nice come from behind win. Those are the types of wins which can really get a team going heading into the playoffs. Hopefully the Wings can follow up last night's win with another one against the Devils. :thumbup:

If you've watched the replay with Franzen then you know Mule basically gives Backes a love tap. I'm guessing it normally takes more than that to drop Backes like a sack of potatoes. Sure it could've been a 2 minute minor, but 5 and a game for that would be as bad or worse than the call on Reaves. 2 on Franzen for roughing, 2 on Backes for diving and it's a wash.

A love tap? I disagree.

Watch the replay again sir. Franzen had both hands on his stick, gave him a shove/cross check down low. His hands stay on his stick and then they came up high and he extends his arms and cross checks Backes in the face. The stick obviously cuts Backes' chin, which is an automatic 5 minute penalty and game misconduct because it drew blood and was intentional. You can't only give a 2 minute penalty when a stick infraction draws blood.

If you are saying that Backes dove, then I can say that Bertuzzi dove when Steen shoved him after the whistle at the side of the net. Bertuzzi went down kind of easy. The difference is, Steen was penalized for that...and when compared to the Franzen play, that is a joke.

Refs let stuff go both ways. Blues fans are probably just pissed they lost. And understandably angry about the Reaves call.

I have no problem with letting stuff go. But like I said, the calls on Reaves & more specifically, Steen, compared to the non-call on Franzen made the officiating way to inconsistent and lopsided in that game. That was a huge non-call.

The NBC guys were puzzled as well and kind of insinuated that a makeup call would be/could be coming the Blues way, but that never happened.

The Blues played a great two and a half periods, but got sloppy when they got the two goal lead. The Wings were able to capitalize.

Hitchcock was quoted as taking the blame for the 2nd goal as he had the wrong line paring out there against the Datsyuk line. It should have been the Backes line.

1333598137[/url]' post='2278058']

Ah, how quick some of us bail on our team.

In all seriousness, the Wings did show some heart this game. Both teams had a lot of chances, and the Blues definitely took advantage of some opportunities. At the same time, so did the Wings late in the game. This had playoff intensity all over it, and the Wings earned the extra point. Two games to go, seal up home ice in the first round!

I'm out of pluses from last night, but this post gets one anyway. +

1333598927[/url]' post='2278067']

i said it after last game with blues, and i hane to say it again: certain team, wearing blue in home games, confuses toughness with stupidity.

good game wings, good to see mule back!

I agree. Not once did their macho maulings affect the Wings' play. Puck possession and smarts is the name o' dat game.

Hey cool, I made the sensitive sally list on LGB*T! Now all 12 of their fans know who I am. Success!

I dont know what happened in your case so this isn't necessarily directed at you, but I want to make people aware of the policy here:

Trolling other teams' sites can lead to a suspension and banning from this one if Matt or the mods find out about it.

We don't want Wings fans stirring up crap on other sites because it usually brings a flood of trolls back here.

Hey cool, I made the sensitive sally list on LGB*T! Now all 12 of their fans know who I am. Success!

I'm not quite sure what this means, but judging from previous comments right before this it seems like cprice... who i've heard is the founder of LGB, is posting and mocking quotes from here on LGB? Man... i'm sorry but cprice for you to be a founder of a website, and be their main moderator... you're doing a very childish thing. If you want to mock and have fun with it, you might as well say it directly on the board, not running back and making a joke behind closed doors. Sounds like a frickin 13 year old antic. I mean, I respect your opinion and quite frankly it appears you can and want to have intelligent conversations, but doing s*** like that especially as a founder, should be an embarrassment to yourself.

1333601297[/url]' post='2278088']

Ericsson has take a lot of s*** on this board, but when you think about it he is the only d-man with size that can match up with the power forward reality of the NHL these days. He has progressed nicely with puck decisions and physicality this year. Yes, he has been a project, but I think Holland might have been correct on this one and I notice a big diff since he has been back w/ Lids.

AMEN, Clutch. Thanks for taking the time to make this most valid point! clap.gif

The NBC guys were puzzled as well and kind of insinuated that a makeup call would be/could be coming the Blues way, but that never happened.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what the NBC guys had to say. It was a Blues love-fest all night from those guys. As is always the case with Piere and Olczyk regardless of who the Wings are playing. I thought they were going to cry when the Wings tied it up.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what the NBC guys had to say. It was a Blues love-fest all night from those guys. As is always the case with Piere and Olczyk regardless of who the Wings are playing. I thought they were going to cry when the Wings tied it up.

I think its the first game where I didnt hear Olczyk refer to the Wings "subtle interference." :P

unless I missed it?

The main thing I will take from that game is the difference in the goal celebrations. When the Blues scored their 2 goals, they acted like they had won the Stanley Cup.

Uhh...

Perron was pumped...but he always is when he scores...that's nothing new. Add in the fact it was a shortanded goal in a scoreless game in the 3rd, it was at home, the crowd went bonkers, etc.

When the Wings scored their 2 goals, it was business as usual. One team has proven they can win it all while the other team hasn't.

Yeah, because the Wings never celebrate goals.

Edited by cprice12

Guest Hatethedrake!

Aw the whiny Blues fan is whining again. Here's the whiny Blues fan running back to his Blues site...

Edited by Hatethedrake!

I'm not quite sure what this means, but judging from previous comments right before this it seems like cprice... who i've heard is the founder of LGB, is posting and mocking quotes from here on LGB? Man... i'm sorry but cprice for you to be a founder of a website, and be their main moderator... you're doing a very childish thing. If you want to mock and have fun with it, you might as well say it directly on the board, not running back and making a joke behind closed doors. Sounds like a frickin 13 year old antic. I mean, I respect your opinion and quite frankly it appears you can and want to have intelligent conversations, but doing s*** like that especially as a founder, should be an embarrassment to yourself.

We post comments from other forums from time to time. Mostly from GDT's so our members can see what other folks are saying. It's usually a thread entitled, "From their perspective."

Our users love it.

Sorry I called you a sensitive Sally. ;)

I'll buy you a beer at a game sometime.

I DVR'd the game and skipped the inbetween period stuff.

But if you think the national media guys are anti-Detroit...you are crazy.

All we ever hear from the national guys is how great Datsyuk, Lidstrom and Zetterberg are. They never stop. Inbetween periods, during the game, after the game...

Hahah cprice you must be kidding me right? Franzen is a patsy, he couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag. What he did to Backes was nothing! Backes pretends to be this big, tough abrasive player, but then Franzen gets tangled up with him at the end of the period and all of a sudden he's a wobbly legged little girl and goes down like nothing. Intent to injure :lol: When'd you start watching hockey? 2006? Christ man, c'mon. There's being pissed at the refs, and then there's flat out not knowing what your talking about.

In fact, I'm so tired of hearing about Backes being this "tough, hard nosed player" I'll post his fight log, and before you mention Franzens fight log (:lol:) lets establish that Franzen is a *****, and no one would ever mistake him for a tough player the way Backes is. He's got losses to Andrew Ference, Clayton Stoner, Ladislav Smid, Rick Nash and wins vs Shawn Horcoff, Cam Barker, Fedor Tyutin, Jonathan Toews, Corey Perry. What do all of those players have in common? None of them fighters, Backes is a puss, and he showed it last night by embellishing against Johan Franzen of all people. Please, if you choose to whine about the refs, that's fine there idiots, I agree. But about that play? No chance pal.

I dont know what happened in your case so this isn't necessarily directed at you, but I want to make people aware of the policy here:

Trolling other teams' sites can lead to a suspension and banning from this one if Matt or the mods find out about it.

We don't want Wings fans stirring up crap on other sites because it usually brings a flood of trolls back here.

I'm not trolling anywhere, not willingly anyways. My comments were smuggled from behind the fortified walls of LGW and imported into the barren wasteland that LGB*T is by a domestic terrorist residing amongst us. You won't catch me with an account over there. To be less cryptic, a bunch of our comments were quoted on LGB*T where we were then called a bunch of sensitive sallies for responding to someone who claims to want to have conversations about hockey with us.

We post comments from other forums from time to time. Mostly from GDT's so our members can see what other folks are saying. It's usually a thread entitled, "From their perspective."

Our users love it.

Sorry I called you a sensitive Sally. ;)

I'll buy you a beer at a game sometime.

I don't waste my time lurking to other teams websites because I don't see any good coming out of it. I'm simply stating your lack of professionalism, but hey, it's just my opinion.

But, i'll take that beer.

I'm not trolling anywhere, not willingly anyways. My comments were smuggled from behind the fortified walls of LGW and imported into the barren wasteland that LGB*T is by a domestic terrorist residing amongst us. You won't catch me with an account over there. To be less cryptic, a bunch of our comments were quoted on LGB*T where we were then called a bunch of sensitive sallies for responding to someone who claims to want to have conversations about hockey with us.

:lol:

I didn't figure you were, but it made me realize I should re-state Matt's policy about members here trolling on other team's sites, in case anyone was tempted.

Hahah cprice you must be kidding me right? Franzen is a patsy, he couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag. What he did to Backes was nothing! Backes pretends to be this big, tough abrasive player, but then Franzen gets tangled up with him at the end of the period and all of a sudden he's a wobbly legged little girl and goes down like nothing. Intent to injure :lol: When'd you start watching hockey? 2006? Christ man, c'mon. There's being pissed at the refs, and then there's flat out not knowing what your talking about.

In fact, I'm so tired of hearing about Backes being this "tough, hard nosed player" I'll post his fight log, and before you mention Franzens fight log (:lol:) lets establish that Franzen is a *****, and no one would ever mistake him for a tough player the way Backes is. He's got losses to Andrew Ference, Clayton Stoner, Ladislav Smid, Rick Nash and wins vs Shawn Horcoff, Cam Barker, Fedor Tyutin, Jonathan Toews, Corey Perry. What do all of those players have in common? None of them fighters, Backes is a puss, and he showed it last night by embellishing against Johan Franzen of all people. Please, if you choose to whine about the refs, that's fine there idiots, I agree. But about that play? No chance pal.

Cross check to the chin...drew blood.

Ok...yeah...he was faking. You're right. What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

I love Backes' head jerk after Franzen punches him when he's on the ice. It looked like professional wrestling out there.

I was waiting for the ref to turn his back while Franzen went and grabbed a folding chair, or climbed up on the dasher.

LOL. Hey, physics don't apply in the rink.

Cross check to the chin...drew blood.

Ok...yeah...he was faking. You're right. What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

Well, you're in a tough position. You either have to admit that a) Backes is a Thorton-class diver or b) after chirping Datsyuk like a punk, he got physically owned by a big soft noodle man pansy without even remotely trying to defend himself at the time, or later in the game.

Tough spot to be in as a Blues fan. Par for the course today I suppose.

I love Backes' head jerk after Franzen punches him when he's on the ice. It looked like professional wrestling out there.

I was waiting for the ref to turn his back while Franzen went and grabbed a folding chair, or climbed up on the dasher.

I wish I was good with photoshop right about now. :D