• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

4/4 GDT : Red Wings 3 at Blues 2 (SO)

Rate this topic

I love Backes' head jerk after Franzen punches him when he's on the ice. It looked like professional wrestling out there.

I was waiting for the ref to turn his back while Franzen went and grabbed a folding chair, or climbed up on the dasher.

So, Backes jerking his head when he was punched automatically makes the Franzen "blood-drawing" cross check to the chin and punch to the head not a penalty?

I don't recall reading that in the rule book anywhere.

Like I said...if Backes had done this to Datsyuk, you guys would be livid and Backes would have been penalized and be facing a fine or suspension.

I DVR'd the game and skipped the inbetween period stuff.

But if you think the national media guys are anti-Detroit...you are crazy.

All we ever hear from the national guys is how great Datsyuk, Lidstrom and Zetterberg are. They never stop. Inbetween periods, during the game, after the game...

You obviously don't watch a lot of NBC Wings coverage.

How about the time this season when you could hear Olczyk moan like a women 18 hours into child birth when the Wings beat Chicago in overtime? Did you see that? Were you watching?

There are about 100 LGWs members that can back me up here without bias.

Well, you're in a tough position. You either have to admit that a) Backes is a Thorton-class diver or b) after chirping Datsyuk like a punk, he got physically owned by a big soft noodle man pansy without even remotely trying to defend himself at the time, or later in the game.

Tough spot to be in as a Blues fan. Par for the course today I suppose.

Cross check to the chin...drew blood.

You're ok with that not being a penalty?

So, Backes jerking his head when he was punched automatically makes the Franzen "blood-drawing" cross check to the chin and punch to the head not a penalty?

Like I said...if Backes had done this to Datsyuk, you guys would be livid and Backes would have been penalized and be facing a fine or suspension.

Someone better call the Wah-mber Lamps

s*** like that happens, even to the Wings. I can remember no less than 2 accounts where Franzen has been high-sticked in the face (cheek) and was dripping blood on his way to the bench without a call. Is it annoying? Yes. Can you do anything about it? No. Basically what I'm saying is, get the f*** over it.

You obviously don't watch a lot of NBC Wings coverage.

How about the time this season when you could hear Olczyk moan like a women 18 hours into child birth when the Wings beat Chicago in overtime? Did you see that? Were you watching?

There are about 100 LGWs members that can back me up here without bias.

You're singling out Olczyk...a former Hawk.

In general, the national guys love to talk about how great the Wings are.

Emmerick was constantly praising the skill of Detroit and Datsyuk more specifically during last night's game.

I'm not saying they aren't worthy of praise, but it's weird to hear Wings fans say how the national media guys root against Detroit, when that just isn't the case from what I have seen.

Datsyuk is russian, a non-fighter, and isn't lauded by every analyst for his tough, physical play. And even he wouldn't have taken getting crosschecked sitting down like Backes did. It's not about the act, it's about how a "big tough guy" like Backes acted like a ***** and dove and embellished. You don't get it do you? It was Johan Franzen, that "crosscheck" that drew blood couldn't hurt a fly, and yet Backes went down like he was shot.

Cross check to the chin...drew blood.

You're ok with that not being a penalty?

I never said it shouldn't have been a penalty. I'm saying Backes is either really really soft, or he embellished. The blood probably came from hitting his chin on the diving board.

Should have been two mintues to Franzen for the swat, two minutes to Backes for misconduct or whatever you want to call it.

Emmerick was constantly praising the skill of Detroit and Datsyuk more specifically during last night's game.

I'm not saying they aren't worthy of praise, but it's weird to hear Wings fans say how the national media guys root against Detroit, when that just isn't the case from what I have seen.

I didn't mention Emmerick. He's a play-by-play guy. He sticks to the facts. It's the color guys (Piere and Olczyk) that spin things.

It's really just Olczyk. I can't believe they have him doing national games. His bias for the Pens and Hawks is pretty obvious. And I'm talking about games where they're not even playing the Wings.

And during Wings games he honestly does refer to the Wings "subtle interference" at least once a game, and points out penalties that should've been called on the Wings.

I think Doc is great. And McGuire is well, McGuire.

Someone better call the Wah-mber Lamps

s*** like that happens, even to the Wings. I can remember no less than 2 accounts where Franzen has been high-sticked in the face (cheek) and was dripping blood on his way to the bench without a call. Is it annoying? Yes. Can you do anything about it? No. Basically what I'm saying is, get the f*** over it.

You're talking about a call where the ref didn't even see the high stick. That happens all of the time and, while it sucks, it is understandable...it happens...it's part of the human element. However, a ref actually seeing a stick infraction that draws blood and putting the whistle away like last night? That's a disgrace to the NHL. Especially when they are supposed to be cracking down on things like that.

I don't recall saying it shouldn't have been a penalty.

And I already stated, if Backes had done that to Dats. Datsyuk would've stayed on his skates and likely come right back at him. Franzen probably should've gotten 2 minutes for roughing for his gloved punch. Maybe the refs decided not to give anything because of Backes' diving. Who knows.

It's not like Backes had anything to fear going back at Franzen. It's not like Mule would've dropped the gloves and fought. Instead Backes held on to his stick and then dove when Franzen came at him. Maybe he's hoping to play for Vancouver one day?

The game had a playoff like atmosphere. Other than the blown call on Reaves (which led to the Blues first goal by the way), the refs let 'em play both ways.

You're talking about a call where the ref didn't even see the high stick. That happens all of the time and, while it sucks, it is understandable...it happens...it's part of the human element. However, a ref actually seeing a stick infraction that draws blood and putting the whistle away like last night? That's a disgrace to the NHL. Especially when they are supposed to be cracking down on things like that.

Like Steen taking Kronwall down by the throat? The refs had a pretty good look at that one.

If you're that bent out of shape about last night, you're really not going to like the playoffs. :P

I never said it shouldn't have been a penalty. I'm saying Backes is either really really soft, or he embellished. The blood probably came from hitting his chin on the diving board.

Should have been two mintues to Franzen for the swat, two minutes to Backes for misconduct or whatever you want to call it.

I didn't mention Emmerick. He's a play-by-play guy. He sticks to the facts. It's the color guys (Piere and Olczyk) that spin things.

A stick infraction that draws blood can't be 2 minutes...it has to be at least 4.

And if you give 4 or 5 minutes to Franzen for the crosscheck, and also give Backes 2, that's a power play for St. Louis. And if Franzen is given 5, he is tossed from the game...which obviously could have changed the outcome of the game.

But really, I think the ref would have a hard time explaining a diving call on Backes when the stick to the chin check drew blood.

Like I said earlier, I bet there was no call because of the way Backes went down (i.e. diving). If you get hit in the face like that, you drop because you either A) dove, or B) got knocked the f*** out. He did not get hit hard enough to take his knees out from underneath him. They either they call both, or they let both go. They appear to have opted for the latter.

If you want to see what a real punch from Franzen looks like, here you go. Relatively speaking, last night's hit on Backes was a love tap.

MuleKick.gif

A stick infraction that draws blood can't be 2 minutes...it has to be at least 4.

And if you give 4 or 5 minutes to Franzen for the crosscheck, and also give Backes 2, that's a power play for St. Louis. And if Franzen is given 5, he is tossed from the game...which obviously could have changed the outcome of the game.

But really, I think the ref would have a hard time explaining a diving call on Backes when the stick to the chin check drew blood.

Alright. 4 minutes to Mule. 2 to Backes. 2 minute PP for the Blues. Franzen stays in the game. Backes still looks like a tool.

Happy?

Some of you probably don't care...but some of you might.

The STL Post Dispatch Blues beat writer, Jeremy Ruthreford does a live chat every Thursday at 1pm central at stltoday.com.

I'm sure there will be plenty of talk about last night's game:

http://live.stltoday.com/Event/Blues_chat_at_1_pm_5

I threw in a question just for you guys. ;)

Alright. 4 minutes to Mule. 2 to Backes. 2 minute PP for the Blues. Franzen stays in the game. Backes still looks like a tool.

Happy?

No.

;)

Edited by cprice12

Looks like you threw it in for yourself...it's the same question you've asked here 120 times.

It's funny how he thought it should have only been 2 minutes...yet you are calling for 5+game.

Bottom line, St. Louis Blue it.

Thanks for doing this JR. So, if Backes did to Datsyuk what Franzen did to Backes last night, what would have happened and how many games would Backes be suspended for?

Read more: http://live.stltoday.com/Event/Blues_chat_at_1_pm_5#ixzz1rBvaU900

I agree that Franzen should have been penalized. A 2-minute roughing at the 20-minute mark would have made sense. I don't understand why a penalty wasn't called. Obviously Blues' fans have their reasons... i.e. opponent was Detroit. Bottom line, penalty should have been called and it wasn't.

Read more: http://live.stltoday.com/Event/Blues_chat_at_1_pm_5#ixzz1rBvWgvzD

Edited by rrasco

Some of you probably don't care...but some of you might.

The STL Post Dispatch Blues beat writer, Jeremy Ruthreford does a live chat every Thursday at 1pm central at stltoday.com.

I'm sure there will be plenty of talk about last night's game:

http://live.stltoday.com/Event/Blues_chat_at_1_pm_5

No.

;)

Here's the question:

Thanks for doing this JR. So, if Backes did to Datsyuk what Franzen did to Backes last night, what would have happened and how many games would Backes be suspended for?

So Jeremy Ruthford can determine factually what would've happened in totally fictional situations?? :scared:

Otherwise it just sounds like you asked a Blues writer to speculate on your leading question (how many game suspended?) and hopefully agree with you.

And even he thinks it should've just been 2 minutes for roughing.

Here's the question:

So Jeremy Ruthford can determine factually what would've happened in totally fictional situations?? :scared:

Otherwise it just sounds like you asked a Blues writer to speculate on your leading question (how many game suspended?) and hopefully agree with you.

And even he thinks it should've just been 2 minutes for roughing.

Why so serious?

It was basically a statement about how Franzen should have been penalized on the play and how star players fail to get penalized like others do.

Explain to me how you come up with only a 2 minute rough, when he drew blood with a cross check to the chin?

Bah, nevermind...I'm done in this thread. It's like talking to a wall in here.

Wings fans don't think Franzen should have been penalized...shocker...I get it.

Maybe we'll see you guys in the playoffs...Good luck with Nashville.

The reffing was pretty bad.

...the overreaction call on Reaves (maybe two minutes for that, but 5 and a game?? Really?)

The call was bogus I agree, but St. Louis scored a short handed goal and the Wings didn't have a shot on net for the entire 5 minutes, so what are you upset about exactly?

I think had the ref not made that call we wouldn't have gone down 2 - 0, because we play way better 5 on 5.