• Please log in to reply
758 replies to this topic

#741 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

You're talking about a call where the ref didn't even see the high stick. That happens all of the time and, while it sucks, it is understandable...it happens...it's part of the human element. However, a ref actually seeing a stick infraction that draws blood and putting the whistle away like last night? That's a disgrace to the NHL. Especially when they are supposed to be cracking down on things like that.

Like I said earlier, I bet there was no call because of the way Backes went down (i.e. diving). If you get hit in the face like that, you drop because you either A) dove, or B) got knocked the f*** out. He did not get hit hard enough to take his knees out from underneath him. They either they call both, or they let both go. They appear to have opted for the latter.

If you want to see what a real punch from Franzen looks like, here you go. Relatively speaking, last night's hit on Backes was a love tap.

Posted Image

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#742 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

A stick infraction that draws blood can't be 2 minutes...it has to be at least 4.
And if you give 4 or 5 minutes to Franzen for the crosscheck, and also give Backes 2, that's a power play for St. Louis. And if Franzen is given 5, he is tossed from the game...which obviously could have changed the outcome of the game.

But really, I think the ref would have a hard time explaining a diving call on Backes when the stick to the chin check drew blood.

Alright. 4 minutes to Mule. 2 to Backes. 2 minute PP for the Blues. Franzen stays in the game. Backes still looks like a tool.

Happy?
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#743 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Some of you probably don't care...but some of you might.

The STL Post Dispatch Blues beat writer, Jeremy Ruthreford does a live chat every Thursday at 1pm central at stltoday.com.

I'm sure there will be plenty of talk about last night's game:
http://live.stltoday..._chat_at_1_pm_5

I threw in a question just for you guys. ;)

Alright. 4 minutes to Mule. 2 to Backes. 2 minute PP for the Blues. Franzen stays in the game. Backes still looks like a tool.

Happy?

No.

;)

Edited by cprice12, 05 April 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#744 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

No.

;)

If my captain looked like a tool, I'd probably feel the same way.

#745 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Looks like you threw it in for yourself...it's the same question you've asked here 120 times.

It's funny how he thought it should have only been 2 minutes...yet you are calling for 5+game.

Bottom line, St. Louis Blue it.

Thanks for doing this JR. So, if Backes did to Datsyuk what Franzen did to Backes last night, what would have happened and how many games would Backes be suspended for?

Read more: http://live.stltoday...5#ixzz1rBvaU900

I agree that Franzen should have been penalized. A 2-minute roughing at the 20-minute mark would have made sense. I don't understand why a penalty wasn't called. Obviously Blues' fans have their reasons... i.e. opponent was Detroit. Bottom line, penalty should have been called and it wasn't.

Read more: http://live.stltoday...5#ixzz1rBvWgvzD

Edited by rrasco, 05 April 2012 - 01:20 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#746 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

I never said it shouldn't have been a penalty. I'm saying Backes is either really really soft, or he embellished. The blood probably came from hitting his chin on the diving board.

+++++ :clap:

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#747 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,251 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Some of you probably don't care...but some of you might.

The STL Post Dispatch Blues beat writer, Jeremy Ruthreford does a live chat every Thursday at 1pm central at stltoday.com.

I'm sure there will be plenty of talk about last night's game:
http://live.stltoday..._chat_at_1_pm_5

No.

;)

Here's the question:

Thanks for doing this JR. So, if Backes did to Datsyuk what Franzen did to Backes last night, what would have happened and how many games would Backes be suspended for?

So Jeremy Ruthford can determine factually what would've happened in totally fictional situations?? :scared:

Otherwise it just sounds like you asked a Blues writer to speculate on your leading question (how many game suspended?) and hopefully agree with you.

And even he thinks it should've just been 2 minutes for roughing.

#748 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Which, one could argue could have easily been negated by a misconduct or "diving" penalty to Backes.

#749 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Here's the question:

So Jeremy Ruthford can determine factually what would've happened in totally fictional situations?? :scared:

Otherwise it just sounds like you asked a Blues writer to speculate on your leading question (how many game suspended?) and hopefully agree with you.

Why so serious?
It was basically a statement about how Franzen should have been penalized on the play and how star players fail to get penalized like others do.

Explain to me how you come up with only a 2 minute rough, when he drew blood with a cross check to the chin?

Bah, nevermind...I'm done in this thread. It's like talking to a wall in here.
Wings fans don't think Franzen should have been penalized...shocker...I get it.

Maybe we'll see you guys in the playoffs...Good luck with Nashville.
  • ami likes this

#750 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

And good luck to you with San Jose.

#751 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Says a Blues fan for the 2nd time in seven years. :cool:

#752 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

Why so serious?<...>

cheer up! your captain is waaay better than shark's.

#753 AceInTheSleeve

AceInTheSleeve

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

The reffing was pretty bad.
...the overreaction call on Reaves (maybe two minutes for that, but 5 and a game?? Really?)

The call was bogus I agree, but St. Louis scored a short handed goal and the Wings didn't have a shot on net for the entire 5 minutes, so what are you upset about exactly?

I think had the ref not made that call we wouldn't have gone down 2 - 0, because we play way better 5 on 5.

#754 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

What a great game last night. Pave's line sure took over with about 7 minutes to play. And how about Bert in the S/O :clap:
IPB Image

#755 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Just watched some highlights from last night's game and something struck me as very ironic, when Franzen scored his second goal, Emrick's exact words were "Franzen with a pair". How fitting.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#756 AceInTheSleeve

AceInTheSleeve

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

When the S/O hinged on him winning last night I thought that his luck was gonna run out because Bert has been way too clutch in the S/O this year. Glad he proved me wrong! Hes got such smooth hands

Edited by AceInTheSleeve, 05 April 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#757 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Neither did the refs! :P

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#758 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,251 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Why so serious?

Trolling 101: when your argument is running thin, try and make it sound like the other guy is getting all bent out of shape while you're just having a lighthearted discussion.

It was basically a statement about how Franzen should have been penalized on the play and how star players fail to get penalized like others do.

Explain to me how you come up with only a 2 minute rough, when he drew blood with a cross check to the chin?

Bah, nevermind...I'm done in this thread. It's like talking to a wall in here.

Actually I've said several times it could've been a two minute penalty. You still don't seem to get it, just because we won't agree to the 4 minutes you're suggesting, or the ridiculous 5 and a game.

If the refs don't see conclusively that it was a crosscheck that drew the blood, they can't call a 4 minute penalty. On the replay it's a gloved punch where the stick may have contacted Backes face before he dove. It probably did. But that's not the same as seeing the stick infraction and being able to call a penalty.

But we're the ones that are like talking to a wall. :rolleyes:

#759 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Tomas Holmstrom doesn't understand why such a big deal is made of this. He gets that, or worse, in almost every game without a penalty being called.

I can see how people think the Wings get preferential treatment. :rolleyes:

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke