• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

4/5 GDT : Devils 2 at Red Wings 1

Rate this topic

We just must have faith, like I very much do, that our boys will pull together and rock the s*** out of whomever they face...but agian I havnt seen tonites game yet...LGW

If this was true, they would have rocked it tonight to secure 4th ... they didn't. What is your faith based on?

Well one of two things is going to happen. Either this is like 2002 and they bumble their way into the playoff but wake up in time to make something of them OR they won't.

Pretty simple. I have a hunch we'll have a pretty good idea after game two of the first round

It is early golfing season for the boys in red and white.

Price might have been too high for a top 6 forward at the trade deadline but that is exactly what the Wings needed and Holland sad he liked the team he had. Oh well.

6 weeks ago I wrote the "Blues are in the driver's seat". 3 weeks ago I wrote the Preds were in the passenger seat and the Wings were sleeping in the back seat.

Now you can throw the red and white jerseys in the trunk because they are packing for early vacation. Wings will win 2 games in the playoffs.... maybe 3 if their power play starts to work and if they are lucky. So that means they will exit in the first round.

It was all downhill after the 23 game win streak. Too many mental mistakes on a team that is not clicking.

This year had to be one of the most significant collapses in Red Wings history. On February 20th Detroit was number one in the NHL, Howie was in the running for the Vezina trophy, Datsyuk was in the running for MVP and Selke trophy, Lidstrom was in the running for another Norris trophy and Detroit had just set a record for the most consecutive home victories ever. Things couldn't have looked any sweeter. Then in a flash, as if a tornado hit Joe Louis Arena, almost all of that vanished in a hurry. The 23 game win streak remains but everything else is gone. A first round exit wound be the topping on a humble pie.

All I can say is we are going to play in who we are going to play this post season and not one team out of the choices is "better" then the other.

Oh, come on.

EDIT: I'm not saying we should aim for 6th. I'm not even necessarily saying we should pick our poison at all. I just do not believe that, say, Dallas is every bit as dangerous as, say, Nashville.

And about Nashville - they by no means scare me. But they're a hungry, driven hockey club. They want it all this year, and damn if they're not going to put up a good fight for it.

EDIT #2: Oh, wow, I just learned Dallas s*** the bed. Well, my point still stands.

Edited by Dabura

Nashville the team does not concern me all that much. What concerns me is Pecca Rinne. A 9 foot goalie that has the ability to steal a series single handedly...and you know he'll be on his game.

If I had to choose between the travel or playing against Rinne, that's a tough one. I don't like either...

This was a HUGE LOSS today. It used to be that we could relax a bit in almost must-win games for the wings, because they won them all. Not the case anymore, not since the SCF loss in 09 really...

We lack speed bigtime. It's so obvious in these games, the wings are going back for the puck and the forecheckers are already on them, the other team's defense is back to get their pucks quicker than our forecheck.

We need helm, but we need more speed besides him.

Price might have been too high for a top 6 forward at the trade deadline but that is exactly what the Wings needed and Holland sad he liked the team he had. Oh well.

6 weeks ago I wrote the "Blues are in the driver's seat". 3 weeks ago I wrote the Preds were in the passenger seat and the Wings were sleeping in the back seat.

Now you can throw the red and white jerseys in the trunk because they are packing for early vacation. Wings will win 2 games in the playoffs.... maybe 3 if their power play starts to work and if they are lucky. So that means they will exit in the first round.

It was all downhill after the 23 game win streak. Too many mental mistakes on a team that is not clicking.

This year had to be one of the most significant collapses in Red Wings history. On February 20th Detroit was number one in the NHL, Howie was in the running for the Vezina trophy, Datsyuk was in the running for MVP and Selke trophy, Lidstrom was in the running for another Norris trophy and Detroit had just set a record for the most consecutive home victories ever. Things couldn't have looked any sweeter. Then in a flash, as if a tornado hit Joe Louis Arena, almost all of that vanished in a hurry. The 23 game win streak remains but everything else is gone. A first round exit wound be the topping on a humble pie.

People who think I am off base on my "bandwagon fan" talk should read this and reassess.

The collapse is a reality but not of their own doing. When a team loses the number of top tiered players like the Wings did, it was inevitable. As for the playoffs, I agree that the team will struggle and probably get bounced early. I still don't see Franzen being a hero. The wings have several Achilles heels. The wings powerplay has offered up too many short handed goals. I like their chances playing 5 on 5. I don't like their PK because they can't get the puck out of their own end. When the other team gets set up, look out. Before they were a powerhouse at home. Now they have trouble winning there as well. This team lacks discipline and will likely be in the penalty box way more than in the regular season. In past years we have seen this to be true. No reason to expect any less. Jimmy Howard, I hope, becomes Pekka Rinne and steals the show. He will need help from the defence and some goal posts. Another Achilles heel is the Wings penchant for giving up a goal in the last couple minutes of a period. What gives with that? They are probably the worst in the league in that regards, as well as giving up short handed goals. With that in mind the Wings are a great team with another 100 point season.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Brodeur had a pretty easy night. The Wings looked lethargic for the most part. Dats has been improving with each game. I'm expecting more out of Z. He was going really good for awhile but the last 3 games he seems to have taken a back seat to Dats. Flip needs to play better too. I think the boys will have a good game against the Hawks and be ready for the playoffs. Jimmy looks good so I have faith in him. Home ice or no home ice, the first round is going to be hard anyway. In one way, opening on the road takes a little pressure off. We go into the series hoping for at least a split and then win our home games. Nashville is going to be a tough opponent. They are deep, motivated and now have some playoff experience behind them. But never underestimate the Detroit Red WIngs. :thumbup:

Guest The Production Line

Sharks pull it off in the SO to stay in the race for the pacific.

People who think I am off base on my "bandwagon fan" talk should read this and reassess.

Really, I don't understand why you have such a superiority complex. We all get it, you're a better fan than everyone. You deserve all the praise for when the Wings win, because of your fandom.

I, for one, like the ranting and raving. It at least has some sliver of truth. Saying "I trust this team" brings nothing to the conversation.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

this is why i love the nhl. everything boils down to the last game of the regular season . the playoff teams are set, its just a matter of whos playing who.

theres only 1 game in the NHL tonight. PHX vs ST L. if PHX wins they have a 1 point lead over LA and SJ for the Division with 1 game remaining . :ph34r:

Guest hudler sucks

+1

Wow that above post is just drooling with negativity.. Back when the Wings were 1st in the league, they also were relatively healthy! Any team that loses their #1 defenseman, center and goalie is gonna run into trouble.. And then there were the injuries to Franzen and Big E....

This team has had a lot of trouble recently but it's better they face a little adversity now than in the playoffs after coasting through another Central Division title...

People seem to forget the Blues game went to a shootout and the team had to travel back home overnight.. They still dominated NJ. There won't be too many back-to-back games in the playoffs (freakin' 09' finals.. Still can't get over that one)

Wow that above post is just drooling with negativity.. Back when the Wings were 1st in the league, they also were relatively healthy! Any team that loses their #1 defenseman, center and goalie is gonna run into trouble.. And then there were the injuries to Franzen and Big E....

This team has had a lot of trouble recently but it's better they face a little adversity now than in the playoffs after coasting through another Central Division title...

People seem to forget the Blues game went to a shootout and the team had to travel back home overnight.. They still dominated NJ. There won't be too many back-to-back games in the playoffs (freakin' 09' finals.. Still can't get over that one)

The injuries can only be an excuse for so long. There's a distinct chemistry issue and a lack of depth, as Babcock noted last night. Abdelkader and Cleary each scored one goal in March. The scoring from the blue line has dried up, something the team was excelling at early on in the season. The club peaked back in Feburary and has been on a downward trend ever since then. 17 points since the home win against San Jose, including just 7 wins. The home winning streak was great but it all amounts to a hill of beans right now. They're under .500 at home since then and have the 2nd worst record in the league ahead of Toronto since the end of February. Its great that this team had some accomplishments this year, but right now they are a shell of themselves and the quotes I'm reading from the players indicate that. When Abdelkader says "we're taking steps" with one more game to play, what does that tell you? I don't think you can realistically expect this team to win anything unless they get more contributions across the board, they will not win if only Pav and Hank are the ones forced to shoulder the load.

For bottom end depth what if we call up Tatar and scratch Clears or Homer ?...

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen

Flippula-Zetterberg-Hudler

Tatar-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi

Miller-Helm(emmerton)-Mursak

.....I just want to say I love Cleary and Holmstrom but we need energy, speed and some skill out there. I'm still confident that we have the ability to settle ourselvs down and do this.

It's not that you're off-base; people say wack things about the Wings. It's that you go out of your way to police it, or whatever it is you're trying to do. Would you like a gold sticky star for cleaning up the streets of LGW?

The injuries can only be an excuse for so long.

They should never be an excuse, really.