• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Interesting read especially considering how much his contract is dogged around here and that he is often the resident LGW whipping boy.

The entire article is here:

Babcock cited his former assistant, the late Brad McCrimmon, in describing a good way to judge a player's importance: "When you're thinking of trading somebody, make sure they get hurt for two weeks and evaluate your team without them.

"I think the appreciation for Jonathan Ericsson went through the roof when we lost everybody. When Big E wasn't there, our penalty kill wasn't even close. And since he's gotten back, we seem to be back on track."

Having Ericsson back has been helpful for the goaltenders, too.

"He does a great job on the PK of blocking shots and using his long stick to his advantage," Jimmy Howard said. "Having a big body out there like that makes a goalie's life a little bit easier."

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#2 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Ericsson has looked good and better no doubt. Not a bad thing :thumbup:

#3 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

He's one of the only guys on the team who clears guys from the crease. Our other Dmen are either too small, or play like they're too small.

When White was out there last night he practically got shoved into his own net he was pushed around so easily.

#4 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

While Ericsson still makes me shake my head at times, he is much better this season than last year. Hopefully he can step up his game in the playoffs.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#5 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

I was somebody who said I thought the team would miss E more than they imagined when he went down. He is playing very solid hockey and I am really glad that he is getting the Props he deserves.
way to go E!!!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#6 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Ericsson has never been nearly as bad as the forum goers here make him out to be. LGWers just need their scape goat and right now Cleary and Holmstrom have taken that role.

Anyway I've always liked E and I think he's a decent defender. He's no Lidstrom but he isn't paid to be him.

#7 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

I think Ericsson has looked pretty good since coming back from injury. Hopefully he just get's stronger and his play continues in the playoffs
IPB Image

#8 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

hes solid. f*** the haters

#9 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

He's a great PKer. He could be an unbelievable player if he wasn't so stupid. I heard a story here in Calgary about Olli Jokinen actually hiring a mental coach kinda thing, to help him focus and get more mentally prepared for games and stuff. And while it sounds funny in theory, he's actually been much better this season for the Flames then in any other season. If only the Wings could do something like that for Ericsson, he'd be a top 4 d-man if he didn't make so many mental errors on the ice.

And for the record, I like Ericsson, I'd just like to see him punch people in the face more :hehe:

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 05 April 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#10 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

He's a great PKer. He could be an unbelievable player if he wasn't so stupid. I heard a story here in Calgary about Olli Jokinen actually hiring a mental coach kinda thing, to help him focus and get more mentally prepared for games and stuff. And while it sounds funny in theory, he's actually been much better this season for the Flames then in any other season. If only the Wings could do something like that for Ericsson, he'd be a top 4 d-man if he didn't make so many mental errors on the ice.

And for the record, I like Ericsson, I'd just like to see him punch people in the face more :hehe:

I have to give you a neg and a plus. The neg for calling him stupid :ranting: but a plus for wanting to see him punch people in the face :yowza:

Edited by Hockeymom1960, 05 April 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#11 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

I was somebody who said I thought the team would miss E more than they imagined when he went down. He is playing very solid hockey and I am really glad that he is getting the Props he deserves.
way to go E!!!

:clap: He's most certainly an asset to this team and I'm happy that Babs and now some of us are beginning to see his value. I know he didn't play all that well early on, but this year he has improved immensely, and I'm thrilled for him. And the team.

hes solid. f*** the haters

Mmmm. That pretty much says it for me too.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#12 Itchin' to go

Itchin' to go

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Looking much much better since his return.

Kindl makes us appreciate him more though.

Ryan

#13 DatsyukDangles

DatsyukDangles

Prospect

• 46 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

I think the term "hater" is overused here. If you really had so many people that "hated" Ericsson, you wouldn't hear these same people saying they're impressed that he's playing better now; they'd still be saying he sucked. Most of us just thought -- with good reason -- that the contract we gave him before the season was insane. Good for him for proving us wrong.

Edited by DatsyukDangles, 05 April 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#14 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have not been the biggest Ericsson fan since his last good run he had in 2009, but since his injury he has been fantastic and has looked like his 2009 self while playing with Nick. I think in the 1st round especially, against the Preds, having a big body like Ericsson play with Nick will help shut down the opposing lines a lot. Also, they have appreared to look really comfortable while playing with one another these 2 games.

To add one more thing, I love how Babs keeps making such a big deal about Ericsson and having a positive effect on the PK and everything because every time Ericsson hears Babs talk to the media like that, that will increase his confidence level so much- - really smart by Babs and that could contribute to a lot of success going forward.

#15 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

I hope he continues to play with Lids. I all along thought he should have been paired with the best of the best. How else is he going to learn, but from the best.

#16 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

I still don't understand why people cared about his contract. It's always the biggest bitching point whenever it comes to Ericsson. Has it cost is anything? Really? It's not like we gave him money, which forced us to not be able to afford anyone else. His contract hasn't effected the team at all, so who cares?

#17 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

I still don't understand why people cared about his contract. It's always the biggest bitching point whenever it comes to Ericsson. Has it cost is anything? Really? It's not like we gave him money, which forced us to not be able to afford anyone else. His contract hasn't effected the team at all, so who cares?

For some people it was the last thing they could use to knock Ericsson once he started playing better. It used to be that he sucked. Then they'd begrudgingly admit that maybe he isn't that terrible, but he's still overpaid.

#18 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

the reason that was so very important to the team for the long term was because it set a very bad precedent because of how high it was. if they gave ericsson that much, and had both stuart and kronwall coming up as ufa's, it would mean that they would want significantly more. when you set the bar too high then everyone else expects to be too high as well. its something that is very important. because to win cups you need to get maximum value out of contracts. and while the cap wasn't a problem this year, who knows what it could be like next year or the year after. heck, maybe we do have a shot at both suter and parise this summer, but not enough cap room??? (long shot i know... just making a point)

the other aspect of his contract is his role. teams cannot afford to pay bottom pairing dmen that much money. so is the team implying that his future upside is top 4??? if so, i fear for the teams future. he is not top 4 material. i think he can be a solid bottom guy with a decade long career. but you dont pay guys like that 3 or 4 mil a year.

anywho, ericsson has continued to not play up to where he needs. its no coincidence that when he was injured so was our best forward, best defenseman, and starting goalie. so while i do respect babcock, i disagree with him that it was ericsson the team missed.

i have nothing against jonathon ericsson; i had the privilege to watch him several times up close when he was in the ahl. but he just is not what this team needs.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#19 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

For some people it was the last thing they could use to knock Ericsson once he started playing better. It used to be that he sucked. Then they'd begrudgingly admit that maybe he isn't that terrible, but he's still overpaid.

I don't think so.....
Ville Leino- OVERPAID
James Wizneiwsk- OVERPAID
Johnathan Ericsson- paid handsomely :clap:
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#20 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

Wow what a thread. Any proud Ericsson critics in da hizouse?