• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Frozen-Man

Babcock heaps praise on the value of Jonathan Ericsson

Rate this topic

Interesting read especially considering how much his contract is dogged around here and that he is often the resident LGW whipping boy.

The entire article is here:

Babcock cited his former assistant, the late Brad McCrimmon, in describing a good way to judge a player's importance: "When you're thinking of trading somebody, make sure they get hurt for two weeks and evaluate your team without them.

"I think the appreciation for Jonathan Ericsson went through the roof when we lost everybody. When Big E wasn't there, our penalty kill wasn't even close. And since he's gotten back, we seem to be back on track."

Having Ericsson back has been helpful for the goaltenders, too.

"He does a great job on the PK of blocking shots and using his long stick to his advantage," Jimmy Howard said. "Having a big body out there like that makes a goalie's life a little bit easier."

Ericsson has never been nearly as bad as the forum goers here make him out to be. LGWers just need their scape goat and right now Cleary and Holmstrom have taken that role.

Anyway I've always liked E and I think he's a decent defender. He's no Lidstrom but he isn't paid to be him.

He's a great PKer. He could be an unbelievable player if he wasn't so stupid. I heard a story here in Calgary about Olli Jokinen actually hiring a mental coach kinda thing, to help him focus and get more mentally prepared for games and stuff. And while it sounds funny in theory, he's actually been much better this season for the Flames then in any other season. If only the Wings could do something like that for Ericsson, he'd be a top 4 d-man if he didn't make so many mental errors on the ice.

And for the record, I like Ericsson, I'd just like to see him punch people in the face more :hehe:

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

He's a great PKer. He could be an unbelievable player if he wasn't so stupid. I heard a story here in Calgary about Olli Jokinen actually hiring a mental coach kinda thing, to help him focus and get more mentally prepared for games and stuff. And while it sounds funny in theory, he's actually been much better this season for the Flames then in any other season. If only the Wings could do something like that for Ericsson, he'd be a top 4 d-man if he didn't make so many mental errors on the ice.

And for the record, I like Ericsson, I'd just like to see him punch people in the face more :hehe:

I have to give you a neg and a plus. The neg for calling him stupid :ranting: but a plus for wanting to see him punch people in the face :yowza:

Edited by Hockeymom1960

I was somebody who said I thought the team would miss E more than they imagined when he went down. He is playing very solid hockey and I am really glad that he is getting the Props he deserves.

way to go E!!!

:clap: He's most certainly an asset to this team and I'm happy that Babs and now some of us are beginning to see his value. I know he didn't play all that well early on, but this year he has improved immensely, and I'm thrilled for him. And the team.

hes solid. f*** the haters

Mmmm. That pretty much says it for me too.

I think the term "hater" is overused here. If you really had so many people that "hated" Ericsson, you wouldn't hear these same people saying they're impressed that he's playing better now; they'd still be saying he sucked. Most of us just thought -- with good reason -- that the contract we gave him before the season was insane. Good for him for proving us wrong.

Edited by DatsyukDangles

I have not been the biggest Ericsson fan since his last good run he had in 2009, but since his injury he has been fantastic and has looked like his 2009 self while playing with Nick. I think in the 1st round especially, against the Preds, having a big body like Ericsson play with Nick will help shut down the opposing lines a lot. Also, they have appreared to look really comfortable while playing with one another these 2 games.

To add one more thing, I love how Babs keeps making such a big deal about Ericsson and having a positive effect on the PK and everything because every time Ericsson hears Babs talk to the media like that, that will increase his confidence level so much- - really smart by Babs and that could contribute to a lot of success going forward.

I still don't understand why people cared about his contract. It's always the biggest bitching point whenever it comes to Ericsson. Has it cost is anything? Really? It's not like we gave him money, which forced us to not be able to afford anyone else. His contract hasn't effected the team at all, so who cares?

I still don't understand why people cared about his contract. It's always the biggest bitching point whenever it comes to Ericsson. Has it cost is anything? Really? It's not like we gave him money, which forced us to not be able to afford anyone else. His contract hasn't effected the team at all, so who cares?

For some people it was the last thing they could use to knock Ericsson once he started playing better. It used to be that he sucked. Then they'd begrudgingly admit that maybe he isn't that terrible, but he's still overpaid.

the reason that was so very important to the team for the long term was because it set a very bad precedent because of how high it was. if they gave ericsson that much, and had both stuart and kronwall coming up as ufa's, it would mean that they would want significantly more. when you set the bar too high then everyone else expects to be too high as well. its something that is very important. because to win cups you need to get maximum value out of contracts. and while the cap wasn't a problem this year, who knows what it could be like next year or the year after. heck, maybe we do have a shot at both suter and parise this summer, but not enough cap room??? (long shot i know... just making a point)

the other aspect of his contract is his role. teams cannot afford to pay bottom pairing dmen that much money. so is the team implying that his future upside is top 4??? if so, i fear for the teams future. he is not top 4 material. i think he can be a solid bottom guy with a decade long career. but you dont pay guys like that 3 or 4 mil a year.

anywho, ericsson has continued to not play up to where he needs. its no coincidence that when he was injured so was our best forward, best defenseman, and starting goalie. so while i do respect babcock, i disagree with him that it was ericsson the team missed.

i have nothing against jonathon ericsson; i had the privilege to watch him several times up close when he was in the ahl. but he just is not what this team needs.

For some people it was the last thing they could use to knock Ericsson once he started playing better. It used to be that he sucked. Then they'd begrudgingly admit that maybe he isn't that terrible, but he's still overpaid.

I don't think so.....

Ville Leino- OVERPAID

James Wizneiwsk- OVERPAID

Johnathan Ericsson- paid handsomely :clap:

the reason that was so very important to the team for the long term was because it set a very bad precedent because of how high it was. if they gave ericsson that much, and had both stuart and kronwall coming up as ufa's, it would mean that they would want significantly more. when you set the bar too high then everyone else expects to be too high as well. its something that is very important. because to win cups you need to get maximum value out of contracts. and while the cap wasn't a problem this year, who knows what it could be like next year or the year after. heck, maybe we do have a shot at both suter and parise this summer, but not enough cap room??? (long shot i know... just making a point)

the other aspect of his contract is his role. teams cannot afford to pay bottom pairing dmen that much money. so is the team implying that his future upside is top 4??? if so, i fear for the teams future. he is not top 4 material. i think he can be a solid bottom guy with a decade long career. but you dont pay guys like that 3 or 4 mil a year.

anywho, ericsson has continued to not play up to where he needs. its no coincidence that when he was injured so was our best forward, best defenseman, and starting goalie. so while i do respect babcock, i disagree with him that it was ericsson the team missed.

i have nothing against jonathon ericsson; i had the privilege to watch him several times up close when he was in the ahl. but he just is not what this team needs.

While I understand that it may set a precedent I still don't think it's that big of a deal. When you think lidstrom, holmstrom etc with retirements soon upon us, that makes cap room. I doubt he will land both Suter and Parise, maybe one not both. I just don't think his contract will effect the team as much as people complain it will. It's not like he's getting 5-6 million its 3.5 or so.

If players want to play only for money, they can go elsewhere. I don't see either kronwall or Stuart demanding higher, unreasonable contracts then leaving. Stuart could leave us anyway to head back to the west coast.