• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

Go Big E! I would like to see him scrap more, but with his increased ice time and role I wouldnt want him fighting too much
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#22 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

the reason that was so very important to the team for the long term was because it set a very bad precedent because of how high it was. if they gave ericsson that much, and had both stuart and kronwall coming up as ufa's, it would mean that they would want significantly more. when you set the bar too high then everyone else expects to be too high as well. its something that is very important. because to win cups you need to get maximum value out of contracts. and while the cap wasn't a problem this year, who knows what it could be like next year or the year after. heck, maybe we do have a shot at both suter and parise this summer, but not enough cap room??? (long shot i know... just making a point)

the other aspect of his contract is his role. teams cannot afford to pay bottom pairing dmen that much money. so is the team implying that his future upside is top 4??? if so, i fear for the teams future. he is not top 4 material. i think he can be a solid bottom guy with a decade long career. but you dont pay guys like that 3 or 4 mil a year.

anywho, ericsson has continued to not play up to where he needs. its no coincidence that when he was injured so was our best forward, best defenseman, and starting goalie. so while i do respect babcock, i disagree with him that it was ericsson the team missed.

i have nothing against jonathon ericsson; i had the privilege to watch him several times up close when he was in the ahl. but he just is not what this team needs.

While I understand that it may set a precedent I still don't think it's that big of a deal. When you think lidstrom, holmstrom etc with retirements soon upon us, that makes cap room. I doubt he will land both Suter and Parise, maybe one not both. I just don't think his contract will effect the team as much as people complain it will. It's not like he's getting 5-6 million its 3.5 or so.

If players want to play only for money, they can go elsewhere. I don't see either kronwall or Stuart demanding higher, unreasonable contracts then leaving. Stuart could leave us anyway to head back to the west coast.

#23 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

Big Rig to talk about it
I could stand to prove

Edited by Dabura, 06 April 2012 - 05:01 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#24 RedWingsExpert1988

RedWingsExpert1988

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

He has improved a little bit...