• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Is 6th spot a better option?

Rate this topic

Hmmm...I think if we lose tomorrow Chicago pulls even in points and ROW and they have the season series 4-2...I think we would drop to 6th at that point. Damn, we really need the Avs to show up tomorrow along with our boys to get that 4th seed.

The way the Wings have played the last month, I fear every team.

Every team should be feared. There are no easy opponents. When you pick your poison, that poison typically beats you.

I would rather come out against Chicago and win the game.

I'd rather take our chances with the Preds and minimize travel. If we can't beat them, we weren;t going far anyways and if we can beat them, the less travel will help in the next round. I still think with our experience, we could manage a 6 or 7 game series win with or without home ice against Nashville.

Guest irishock

Agreed. I've heard that thrown around a few times. No seed 6, 7, or 8 has ever won.

And we were the 2nd team to lose SCF game 7 on home ice.

7th to tie up series after falling down 3-0

Just sayin', history can be made.

Just sayin', history can be made.

I'd feel better about it if this team weren't, well, this team. Or, at least, if it weren't playing like this team is playing.

EDIT: And, no offense intended, but those two items you mentioned aren't nearly as big as a bottom 3 seed championship would be.

Edited by Dabura

Agreed. I've heard that thrown around a few times. No seed 6, 7, or 8 has ever won.

It's much more likely to occur today than in any era before, simply due to the parity that the salary cap brings. We've seen plenty of bottom seed teams make deep cup runs lately, it's only a matter of time before one of those teams breaks the wall down.

The big thing, in my mind, is the fact that a 6th seed has never won the Cup. (Unless I'm mistaken...?)

But plenty have gotten to the Finals, and in recent memory. As someone said, it's more likely to happen nowadays than ever with parity.

Problem is, most of those teams battled their way into the playoffs to clinch those lower seeds. This team has bungled their way into the playoffs and is on a cold streak right now. I don't see that kind of 6 seed going to the Finals.

Bring on the preds. there is a lot of doubt in the wings chances, which i can understand to an extent, but i believe they can still flip that switch. i think if the wings are gonna go the distance, a good tough series against the preds is what they need. i think less travel will be a bigger factor than an "easier" opponent in the long run. sure, a series between the preds and wings can go either way, but i think if that series happens, the team that comes out of it is gonna be the one to look out for.

This team was a goal or two away from the conf finals last year. what killed them in that series was the time off between rounds one and two. IMO, this team is better than last years team. E is playing as good as ever as of late, white is an upgrade over what rafalski was last year due to his health. we may finally have a healthy mule this time around. howard is playing like his all star self, datsyuk is bringing the magic, and we all know hank brings it in the playoffs. if they can survive the first round without helms speed and energy, and than have him back for round 2, i like their chances.

i do not wanna see another yotes vs wings series. first of all, we've seen it 2 years straight now. home ice for up to 7 games is nice, but blahhh. after a 7 game series win, and then a sweep the following year, something about a potential 3rd year in a row seems kind of scary. i dont think their goaltending is gonna fold this time around.

either way, screw it. bring on the preds. id rather face them now than have the wings run into them later on when they have some wind under their sails. i just feel like the preds are either gonna lose in round one, or they will go the distance. so lets be the team to knock em out! I BELIEVE!!!

PS: i knocked on a s*** load of wood typing this up.

You have to take into consideration also that being the sixth seed would provide a higher seeded second round opponent if we were to make it past the first round.

Odds are, if they win the 1st round, they'll be playing St. Louis or Vancouver on the road in the 2nd round anyway - a coin flip in my mind. And then, if they win there, they will be on the road the rest of the way no matter who they play.

If it is LA or San Jose, I could argue either way so I'm not sure I have a preference.... the travel sucks, obviously. But, I think Nashville is more likely to beat Detroit than LA or San Jose.

However, if Phoenix wins their last game, they get the 3 seed. If that happens, I think the 6 seed is the best spot as far as chances to move forward. They've beaten the Yotes in the 1st round of the playoffs the past two years (and this year they won't be playing San Jose in the 2nd round if that happens!). As well as he has been playing, I'd rather face Mike Smith than Quick or Rinne. And, Niemi/Smith is a little closer, but the Sharks lineup is scarier than Phoenix's overall.

That said, I will not be rooting for Chicago this afternoon and we get who we get.

I hate this widespread thought process. You're going to play tough teams in the playoffs. Better to get them out of the way first. Besides, 4th would position the Wings for some home ice in a lot of circumstances down the road, which the Wings DESPERATELY need.

But plenty have gotten to the Finals, and in recent memory. As someone said, it's more likely to happen nowadays than ever with parity.

Problem is, most of those teams battled their way into the playoffs to clinch those lower seeds. This team has bungled their way into the playoffs and is on a cold streak right now. I don't see that kind of 6 seed going to the Finals.

Exactly.

To me if it came down to playing the Preds or the Yotes in the 1st round. I'd probably rather play the Yotes even though we've played them the past two seasons in the 1st round than got knocked out in the 2nd round. Preds are a much better team than the Yotes and while the Yotes have improved alot this season I think we could still take them if the Wings work hard enoough.