• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Interference

Rate this topic

los_120406_kingsclowe.jpg

In last night's Kings / Sharks tilt Ryan Clowe broke up a potential 3-on-2 by knocking the puck off of Jarret Stoll's stick - from the bench.

The linesmen and referees missed it and there was no call on the play, but it's extremely obvious that he did it. Being a true stand-up guy, Clowe said afterwards, "I have no idea what you guys are talking about," he said. "I'll have to see the video or something; you'll have to show me on video."

Video and reaction: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/story/_/id/7781833/san-jose-sharks-ryane-clowe-makes-unprecedented-bench-move

I read about that this morning, but damn...WTF do you have to be thinking to do that? AND he got away with it. I would only be mad if the Stars had beat the Preds, but this really had no effect on the standings....at least from our perspective, if I was a Kings fan I'd be livid.

As someone who is also a Kings fan, this makes me hate Clowe even more. Mostly because it's unbelievable that such a "Slapshot" like play could go unnoticed by the refs.

It's just an example of how stupid Clowe is to even try a play like that. But unfortunately his stupidity is rewarded by the refs, who apparently weren't watching the puck carrier??

It also happened when the Kings were on a PP. So if the refs didn't have their heads up their asses it would've put the Kings on a 5 on 3, which is also why it was such idiotic move by Clowe.

I'm just not sure how the referee who is supposed to be watching the play misses something like this... it just goes to show you this league is beyond repair. dry.gif

Spoken like someone who has never put on the stripes before and reffed a game.

Here is a hint, refs have missed worse. No referee is going to see everything.

Spoken like someone who has never put on the stripes before and reffed a game.

Here is a hint, refs have missed worse. No referee is going to see everything.

Oh, cause I thought you know atleast one of them would actually be watching the play. You're right though, it was totally behind the play. rolleyes.gif

There's two refs.

It happened to the guy carrying the puck. Neither ref was watching puck carrier?

You do understand that the refs aren't just supposed to be watching the puck or the person playing the puck. There are other things going on in the game.

You do understand that the refs aren't just supposed to be watching the puck or the person playing the puck. There are other things going on in the game.

Umm, yes I managed to grasp that complex concept.

You do understand that one of the most important things going on in the game that the two referees should be watching is the guy carrying the puck up ice?

I guess Couture could've sidestepped the whole issue by just tackling Stoll, since apparently both referees were watching those other things going on that were way more important than a Kings player trying to carry the puck into the offensive zone on a power play.

Oh, cause I thought you know atleast one of them would actually be watching the play. You're right though, it was totally behind the play. rolleyes.gif

My point is simply that if something were to happen behind the play, then everyone would be bitching about the fact that they should have seen it. Other things are going on, and if this happens in 100 games, I bet 98 times it will be caught. It was missed this time, and as long as human beings are reffing the games, things are going to be missed.

Umm, yes I managed to grasp that complex concept.

You do understand that one of the most important things going on in the game that the two referees should be watching is the guy carrying the puck up ice?

I guess Couture could've sidestepped the whole issue by just tackling Stoll, since apparently both referees were watching those other things going on that were way more important than a Kings player trying to carry the puck into the offensive zone on a power play.

Its a complex concept that many people, who are critical of the refs, don't understand because they have never reffed a game in their lives.

There are many important things going on in the game, and you are correct the puck carrier is one of those, but at the same time my point still stands. One ref could have been watching what was going on behind the play while the forward ref could have taken his eye off the play for a second. This kind of thing happens every now and again. Is it excusable? No. Does it happen? Yes. So long as they don't change the way games are reffed, the system will continue to miss things.

Which is why when some of these alternate reffing systems were introduced, I was very encouraged. Having an off ice official that had an elevated platform to watch the games and catch more infractions was a great idea.

Clowe is a tool ... please do not defend the refs on this one nightfall. Apparently, since it involved the bench, even the linesmen could have called it. That makes it 4 people that missed it.

Edited by RedWingsRox

My point is simply that if something were to happen behind the play, then everyone would be bitching about the fact that they should have seen it. Other things are going on, and if this happens in 100 games, I bet 98 times it will be caught. It was missed this time, and as long as human beings are reffing the games, things are going to be missed.

Its a complex concept that many people, who are critical of the refs, don't understand because they have never reffed a game in their lives.

There are many important things going on in the game, and you are correct the puck carrier is one of those, but at the same time my point still stands. One ref could have been watching what was going on behind the play while the forward ref could have taken his eye off the play for a second. This kind of thing happens every now and again. Is it excusable? No. Does it happen? Yes. So long as they don't change the way games are reffed, the system will continue to miss things.

Which is why when some of these alternate reffing systems were introduced, I was very encouraged. Having an off ice official that had an elevated platform to watch the games and catch more infractions was a great idea.

Ahh, the "you've never done it so you dont' know like I do" explanation. :rolleyes:

You're making this sound like it was a run of the mill hook that didn't get called. Of course they're going to miss some things like that. Hockey is a fast moving game. Missing something behind the play is a lot more understandable. Missing something this obvious when it happens to the puck carrier is baffling.

This was like it was straight out of Slapshot. A player from the bench reached his stick over and interfered with the puck carrier. That's beer league crap. And everyone saw it except the two referees.

It's shocking that it was missed when it was so obvious. And both the tactic by Clowe and the fact he got away with it makes the NHL reffing look like a joke. Add to that it would've put the Kings on a 5 on 3 powerplay. That's not a little blown call. That's a major screw up by the refs.

This isn't the best clip, but here's the YT of it. The image is overexposed so it's hard to see the stick, but it shows how it happened near center ice to the puck carrier. The ESPN clip is better.

Clowe is a tool ... please do not defend the refs on this one evilzyme and nightfall. Apparently, since it involved the bench, even the linesmen could have called it. That makes it 4 people that missed it.

I'm not defending anyone actually, I think it's absolutely bulls*** that out of 2 linesmen and 2 referees apparently NOONE was watching the play? Are... you... kidding... me... we're not talking about something that was done behind the play, to the side of the play, absolutely nothing. What they SHOULD be watching most importantly is the damn play, which they failed to do so. It's a damn powerplay, and a potential 3 on 2 rushing through the neutral zone, someone and i don't care who, should've had eyes on the damn puck carrier.

I'm sorry bud, but I just can't agree with you here. It was a rush through the neutral zone right infront of the benches. For all 2 refs and 2 linesmen to miss that is just beyond me. I can't even see how the linesmen who had to have been staring at the play because its about to enter HIS zone so his eyes SHOULD be on the puck and the play. For all 4 of them to simply miss something this big, is just beyond me.

Add to it that both these teams are fighting for a playoff spot in a ridiculously close race.

It's the third period with less than 3 minutes left, the score is tied and the Kings are already on a power play. If the refs are actually watching the puck, Clowe gets two minutes unsportsmanlike and the Kings go on a 5 on 3.

Sharks ended up winning the game in a shootout.

It was a huge missed call. And bad for the league if guys think it's ok to be reaching sticks over into the play.

To the referees' defense I think you sometimes miss things just because they are so unbelievable and unexpected. I mean even if you are watching at the direction. It happened very quickly and you definitely don't expect a player to do something as stupid as Clowe did. I wonder if he could be fined for that?

To the referees' defense I think you sometimes miss things just because they are so unbelievable and unexpected. I mean even if you are watching at the direction. It happened very quickly and you definitely don't expect a player to do something as stupid as Clowe did. I wonder if he could be fined for that?

or suspended

I can't believe so many people have their panties in a bunch, it was a stupid play, he got away with it, that makes it funny. Qui being so damn cranky.

I wouldn't find it funny that my team just got screwed out of a potential 5 on 3 in the ending moments of a game that going to choose who gets 3rd seed. I don't see anything funny about this, quite frankly I see it an insult to the game. Who does that at a level he's playing at?

I wouldn't find it funny that my team just got screwed out of a potential 5 on 3 in the ending moments of a game that going to choose who gets 3rd seed. I don't see anything funny about this, quite frankly I see it an insult to the game. Who does that at a level he's playing at?

But look at it objectively, there wasn't even a guarantee of anything on the play, it was illegal, he got away with it, plays like that happen ALL THE TIME, the only difference was this one was blatant and stupid. It is humorous, you are overreacting big time.

But look at it objectively, there wasn't even a guarantee of anything on the play, it was illegal, he got away with it, plays like that happen ALL THE TIME, the only difference was this one was blatant and stupid. It is humorous, you are overreacting big time.

I'm overreacting because I think it's mind boggling that 2 refs and 2 linesmen failed to notice a player on the bench playing the puck to prevent an odd man rush. I'm done arguing with you, obviously you aren't comprehending why I was upset in the first place. The addition of this home-and-home deciding the 3rd seed just added the amplitude of the mistake. I highly doubt you would be "laughing and finding it humorous" if it involved the Wings, I almost can promise you that.