• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest The Production Line

Tortorella Slams Orpik, Crosby, Malkin,...

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

I was watching the NHL network and Shanny was on NHL live. EJ Hradek asked him about the Orpik hit, and they got into a lengthy discussion that was really interesting.

Basically at the GM meeting Shanny and the league presented three different examples of knee on knee hits increasing in severity, and also in punishment. Asking if the GMs were ok with the level of punishment or if they wanted the league to be more involved like in the way of headshots and increase suspensions. The GM's said they were ok with the way it was, basically with only the absolute most blatant and severe knee on knee getting a suspension. One of the examples was a hit like Orpik's that only got a 2 minute kneeing penalty. That's why there was no suspension.

Shanny was saying how he told the GM's "you're ok with there being no suspension for this type of hit right now in this meeting, but are you still going to be okay in April and May?" Then they thanked him for coming and said the fans appreciate it too. Shanny laughed and said sarcastically "oh yeah, I know the fans really appreciate it." He knows how much people complain about his decisions.

The whole conversation was cool to hear and made me like Shanny even more.

It does suck that someone who is more or less loved and respected by fans like Shanahan was given such an unenviable position. Someone is always going to disagree with your verdict, and its only a matter of time before you've disappointed the fans of all 30 teams at some point. I do appreciate the explanation though, being that the GM's decided where the line was drawn and held their ground. I think the process is MUCH more involved and objective than in was with Campbell, but its hard for the average fan to appreciate. Keep on keepin' on, Brendan; its the most thankless job in the league.

The fine to Tortorella does more to inflame the situation than resolve it, and coupled with the lack of suspension to Orpik, the optics are not good. To most, the results were 180 degrees from where they should be.

TORTS FOR COMMISH!!!

That was beautiful. Just....truly breathtaking. I'm sending that video to everyone I know who hates the Pens as much as I do.

Hockeymom1960 likes this

torterella said it like it is , dont even think he said anything bad enough to merit a 20 k fine .. called pens an arrogant team and said the 2 whiny ******* complain alot ... shows bettman loves the pens ...ridiculous man hope flyers knock out crosby i want his career over and done with

torterella said it like it is , dont even think he said anything bad enough to merit a 20 k fine .. called pens an arrogant team and said the 2 whiny ******* complain alot ... shows bettman loves the pens ...ridiculous man hope flyers knock out crosby i want his career over and done with

Remember humiliation is the best revenge :sly:

Electrophile likes this