Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Tortorella Slams Orpik, Crosby, Malkin,...

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

I love Torts, always makes things more interesting. can't wait for the playoff match up between the two teams.

#42 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

I was 10 grand off. Damn.

20 grand off now. Link

Doesn't this prove Tortorella's point? I bet there wouldn't be a fine if he said the exact same thing about another team (even though nobody beats Pittsburgh in whining and arrogance level).

#43 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

I love Torts. One of the few coaches in the league that will speak his mind. Ridiculous that he got fined at all for it. I hope Pittsburgh gets killed by Philly in the 1st round.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#44 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Did he really say he will just apologize for it?

Also is there really no discipline????

Makes me think that Bettman really did make Milbury apologize, considering that Sid has a direct line to Bettman (and admitted as much during the whole "Crosby Rule" debacle at the ASG).

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#45 The Production Line

The Production Line

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

So Orpik gets off scot-free for a dirty knee-on-knee hit and Torts is fined for telling the truth. Pretty obvious that the Pens are indeed protected by the league. Philly better prepare their PK.

#46 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Wow, now it's $20,000. Hell if I had $20,000 to throw around I'd pay Tort's fine. Never heard that you couldn't say something about another team. I know you can't call out the minions or Buttman.

Unless you're part of the Penguins organization, of course. I don't remember Mario getting fined during his last tirade when he called the NHL "a garage league".

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#47 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Wow 20k... eh, i can see torts smirking in my head right about now. Hope it fuels a fire under their team if philly cant do em in.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#48 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

pathetic that he was fined for speaking his mind. its not like he ripped on the reffing or put doubt in the game itself. he was just calling out a bunch of pansies. not to mention its human rights to have freedom of speech. apparently you can't hurt people's feelings in the nhl without being fined.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#49 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

How pathetic. You tell the truth and you're a)made to apologize, and b)fined 20 big ones.

Can we start a fund to pay his fine? For telling the truth he shouldn't be fined - he should be congratulated.
Posted Image

#50 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Honestly? Yes we all predicted it, but come on. Is there any way Torts could dispute this? Telling the truth is forbade. My head is about to shake itself clear off my shoulders...

#51 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

A Pens-Canucks Cup Final would be sickening to watch. Which team would whine the most?
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#52 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Unless you're part of the Penguins organization, of course. I don't remember Mario getting fined during his last tirade when he called the NHL "a garage league".

Or what about Michel Therrien and the infamous "obstruction" tirade. Not only whining incessantly, but calling out the opposition's players and the NHL referees. Double standard much?

I still laugh to myself every time I see Crosby drawing the second penalty for the epic 2008 5-on-3 kill; basically tried to jumped on Lilja's back and it worked. This first penalty was also dive-tastic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05YS1DAnAMo

A Pens-Canucks Cup Final would be sickening to watch. Which team would whine the most?

It'll basically be synchronized swimming, with complaints instead of music.

#53 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

I think Torts and Milbury have hit on something...

Random coaches/players can call out Sidney and then apologize immediately. The message will get out. People will talk about what they said.

Apologizes theses days are a dime a dozen. The standard apology is canned and forced and insincere. Get a good, funny sound bite- rather than just whining- and "apologize" right away a la Larry the Cable Guy.

This could be fun.

#54 DatZetterfanfromSC

DatZetterfanfromSC

Prospect

• 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Bahahahahaha!!!!!! I cant stop laughing at your avitar!!! Best one ever!

And, surprise surprise...no supplemental discipline for Orpik.

Bettman clearly has Shanny on a leash. Ugh.

#55 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

It's a shame, really. Sports would be way more interesting if they weren't so sanitized. Honestly there shouldn't be a fine for trash talking another team. It's part of competition. It's okay to play mind games with other teams and there should be more of it. They want rivalries, this is what makes them.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#56 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

It's a shame, really. Sports would be way more interesting if they weren't so sanitized. Honestly there shouldn't be a fine for trash talking another team. It's part of competition. It's okay to play mind games with other teams and there should be more of it. They want rivalries, this is what makes them.

I couldn't agree more :clap:

#57 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

DO refrain from using vulgar language.

it is impossible when you talk about most arrogant organization in NHL.

#58 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

I think Torts and Milbury have hit on something...

Random coaches/players can call out Sidney and then apologize immediately. The message will get out. People will talk about what they said.

Apologizes theses days are a dime a dozen. The standard apology is canned and forced and insincere. Get a good, funny sound bite- rather than just whining- and "apologize" right away a la Larry the Cable Guy.

This could be fun.

Exactly. What's heard cannot be unheard. They've got the money!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#59 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

it is impossible when you talk about most arrogant organization in NHL.

Well played. :lol:
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#60 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

Yeah, Philly doesn't have any whiners on their team. :rolleyes:

Briere and Jagr come to mind. I'm sure there's others if I thought hard about it.

Not going to sit here and pretend that I've followed the guy for his whole career or anything, but I know Jagr was one of the guys who defended Kronwall's hit on Voracek. Said it was hockey and it's a contact sport and you can't take hits like that out of the game.

I don't really know if Briere had any whining to do after he got Kronwalled, but I certainly don't remember anything of the sort.

If anybody on Philly's team is a whiner, it's their Captain and biggest guy on the ice ironically enough. Well, when he's actually in the lineup anyway.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."