• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Favorite Play of the 2002 Cup Run

Rate this topic

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since we're nearing the 10 year anniversary of the 2002 Cup run, I thought I'd start this poll.

My personal favorite was Larionov's overtime goal against Carolina. Still the loudest I've ever screamed during any game or any Wings goal.

i just watched all those clips (couldnt find pronger injury) on youtube and the shanny goal brought a tear to my eye, so i picked that one.

the moment where you know its over and we won the cup is just incredible, eventhough it probably wasnt the best play of the run.

i just watched all those clips (couldnt find pronger injury) on youtube and the shanny goal brought a tear to my eye, so i picked that one.

the moment where you know its over and we won the cup is just incredible, eventhough it probably wasnt the best play of the run.

Here's the clip. Pronger missed the rest of the series and most of the following season because of this injury. Yzerman was obviously a target because of his knee injury and lack of mobility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb_fmWpcbag

Edited by GMRwings1983

Since we're nearing the 10 year anniversary of the 2002 Cup run, I thought I'd start this poll.

My personal favorite was Larionov's overtime goal against Carolina. Still the loudest I've ever screamed during any game or any Wings goal.

Yup.

Still remember watching it with my dad up until 1:14 in the morning when he scored. Amazing game.

Yup.

Still remember watching it with my dad up until 1:14 in the morning when he scored. Amazing game.

It's easy to forget that Detroit had to score with the goalie pulled just to tie it up. (We don't do things like that anymore <_< ).

I voted the statue of Liberty play. Not because I'm so negative that I loved seeing his failure (I did love it, though), but because it was such a turning point in the playoffs. From that moment on the Wings were pretty relentless.

That was also while the rivalry was going very strong, to me it was always such an awesome feeling when the Wings would beat the Aves.

All of those moments are awesome though, the OT goal was pretty memorable as well.

I voted the statue of Liberty play. Not because I'm so negative that I loved seeing his failure (I did love it, though), but because it was such a turning point in the playoffs. From that moment on the Wings were pretty relentless.

That was also while the rivalry was going very strong, to me it was always such an awesome feeling when the Wings would beat the Aves.

All of those moments are awesome though, the OT goal was pretty memorable as well.

That play did turn that series around for sure.

But the true "turning point in the playoffs" would have to be Lidstrom's goal on Cloutier. I'm surprised more people aren't voting for that one really.

Got me watching highlights so thanks! :D

Just wondering though, when did the 'tradition' come in that players don't touch the conference trophies? Because in 2002 both captains raised their respective conference trophies. Wouldn't be a surprise if it was a league mandated request

Guest irishock

Center Ice goal was the most important. Definitely would've lost to Vancouver if Lids didn't blast that one. And the thing is, Canucks fans would still talk about the series win to this day.

I rate the statue of liberty as being one of the most influential moments in playoff history. The series was pretty tight at that point, with the Avs holding onto some good momentum. That play doesn't happen, and Colorado could have easily ended up hoisting the Cup that summer, with how that series was heading.

I rate the statue of liberty as being one of the most influential moments in playoff history. The series was pretty tight at that point, with the Avs holding onto some good momentum. That play doesn't happen, and Colorado could have easily ended up hoisting the Cup that summer, with how that series was heading.

For some reason (back then I was actually optimistic) I felt that we would win that game 6.

Obviously, in a tight defensive series and before the "new NHL" rules were implemented, any goal was huge. That goal wound up being the winning goal, and the first time in the series the Wings scored first.

My favorite is definitely the statue of liberty, I hated it when he would do that after making a save, fitting that his screw-up was a turning point for us in that series. Close second would have to be the Larionov goal, I remember my mom getting so pissed at me for letting my little brothers stay up past 1 in the morning to finish watching the game, we all slept through church that morning. Side note, I completely forgot that the Pronger karma injury happened during that run.

Yeah this is kind of like picking your favorite child. I can't choose for the life of me.

Though it is worth mentioning again and again that the fable of the story of "Patrick Roy's Statue of Liberty faux pas" is that being a douchbag can in fact lead to rather serious consequences. It doesn't always work that way, unfortunately, but it's very possible.

I was still in the process of really getting into hockey those days, and that year was the first year I followed the entire Stanley Cup playoffs pretty much... The most memorable moment for me was the 7-0 blowout of the Avs in game 7 of the WCF. So to pinpoint a play it would probably be the 4th goal in the 1st period (went to 4-0 at 1st int). Watching it on a little 13" colour TV, running outside to yell at my parents "the Wings are up 4-0 in the first period!" ... with all the stress going into that final game it was just too satisfying to crush our bitter rivals so decisively (and essentially "win" the rivalry as it has never been the same since then).