• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Favorite Play of the 2002 Cup Run

Rate this topic

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is my favorite. It's two plays, but they only happened 13 seconds apart, so they could count as one.

GMRwings1983 was talking about yelling the loudest at the Larionov goal, the Lidstrom and Draper goals I yelled the loudest. I remember, I'm sure just like everyone else, was still buzzing about the Lidstrom goal and Draper scored and I yelled just as loud.

I love how Bob Cole says, "Draper gets another Goal!!" I'm getting chills just thinking about it again!

Edit: The 2002 Cup was by far my favorite of the 4. It had the most drama and memorable moments, and I remember where I was for every big moment of that run. I remember too the conversations I had during and the night/day after those games. Again, I'm getting chills just thinking about it!

Nothing against the other 3 Cups, but they don't "take me back" as much as 2002.

Edited by Barrie

I was still in the process of really getting into hockey those days, and that year was the first year I followed the entire Stanley Cup playoffs pretty much... The most memorable moment for me was the 7-0 blowout of the Avs in game 7 of the WCF. So to pinpoint a play it would probably be the 4th goal in the 1st period (went to 4-0 at 1st int). Watching it on a little 13" colour TV, running outside to yell at my parents "the Wings are up 4-0 in the first period!" ... with all the stress going into that final game it was just too satisfying to crush our bitter rivals so decisively (and essentially "win" the rivalry as it has never been the same since then).

Yeah, I thought the rivalry may be revived in 2008, but it didn't exactly happen. We needed to beat Colorado in 2002, though, because of what happened in 1999 and 2000.

Edited by GMRwings1983

The most memorable moment for me was the 7-0 blowout of the Avs in game 7 of the WCF. So to pinpoint a play it would probably be the 4th goal in the 1st period (went to 4-0 at 1st int). Watching it on a little 13" colour TV, running outside to yell at my parents "the Wings are up 4-0 in the first period!" ... with all the stress going into that final game it was just too satisfying to crush our bitter rivals so decisively (and essentially "win" the rivalry as it has never been the same since then).

I was in the car listening to it on the radio, and when Robitaille scored to make it 3-0, I was yelling and honking the horn. Living outside Toronto, people probably thought I was drunk or something.

Outside the Cup wins, that's my favorite Wings game of all-time. I knew at that moment we won the rivarly.

As mentioned, that 2002 Cup run had so many memorable moments! It was the most stressful of the 4, but the most satisfying (well for me anyway). 1997 was the first in 42 years so it's special and we beat the Avs, but we dominated going 16-4. 1998 and 2008, espcially 2008, didn't have much drama because there really wasn't a doubt. Both of those runs, the only scary moments were in the first rounds, but once we got past that, we cruised to the end.

Edit: In 1998 after coming back against the 'yotes, all we had to deal with was a few long goals Ozzie let in, but he always bounced back the next game... Again, 2008 was total domination from the first game of the season to when we won the Cup, it was easy on the nerves.

Edited by Barrie

Oh maaaaan. That Cup run had so many AMAZING moments, it's hard to pick just one but I'll never forget the Triple OT game because everyone was up so late and it was just the most epic feeling when Iggy scored that goal in the 3rd OT.

LOL at Prongers injury though. Ahahaha I remember his dirty play that didn't work out and he got f-ed up instead. Twas a great moment.

of the choices listed the Larionov 3OT goal is my favorite, for him to have had that much patience that late in the game with so much on the line was truly epic, it's like he just said, "Ok enough of this crap, I need to end this so I can get my old ass to bed"

also, for some reason I always think of Freddy Olausson's OT goal in game 3 in Colorado, probably just b/c it was so unexpected that he scored the way he did, beating Roy from the blue line low to the glove side iirc- my brother and I yelled super-freakin' loud;

also the surreal feeling of being up 4-0 in the 1st period of game 7 like a previous poster said, though it made me paranoid and think something else bizarre would happen like the Avs would explode for a bunch of goals too and there would be a wild 9-8 type score, which would have been awesome as long as we had the 9, but I was so nervous before that game that if it had been that crazy I probably would have had about 10,000 heart attacks

Statue of Liberty gaffe, just because it was Waahhh... and watching him get chased in game 7. Sweet. Settled forever who was the better goalie of that era, which I already knew.

Hasek's saves in the Canucks series, esp. Game 4, were crucial. Jovo skating away with his eyes rolled heaven-ward knowing they were not going to get anything past Dom... priceless. The Wings juggernaut never looked back past that point in the playoffs.

Lots of other moments, like Bob "Measure This" Hartley making a fool of himself... well, just beating the Avs, period, was memorable.

Voted other.

For whatever reason, Larionov's behind-the-back pass to Luc Robitaille for a goal stood out most to me. (WCF Game 7 vs. Colorado, Wings went up 3-0 in the 1st period on that).

Close second is Roy's Statue of Liberty Gaffe.

Third is Larionov's 3 OT goal against Carolina.

Fourth is any play with Holmstrom scoring or being involved in a goal since he's my favorite player. *shrugs*

Or what about Uwe Krupp plays two games. Right?

Or Jason Williams plays two games.

Not a lot of people remember that.

I remember the Krupp games pretty well. The first two games we lost to Vancouver where he looked lost.

Williams, I don't remember as well. I think Larionov may have missed a few games where Williams filled in for him or something.

Larionov's 3rd OT Goal in Game 3 was it for me. Staying up to see it and feeling so sick during the entire game doo to constant worring it was such a huge releif to see that goal go in. Made for a real good night's sleep knowing that the Wings now had the lead in the series!!

We can't vote for all of them? However, for sheer comedic purposes, I must vote for Patty Roy and the Statue of Liberty goal, only because f*** the Avalanche those (former) dirty pricks. I couldn't stand those assholes, and taking them down in such a spectacular way was schadenfreude for years.