2 replies to this topic

#1 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

hi friends,

my wife and i are spending a week in ireland this may. we'll be on the west coast for 3 days and in dublin for 3 as well.

we're renting a car and driving all around the west coast (galway, county clare, cliffs of moher, dingle peninsula...).

dublin i'm not so sure yet.

has anybody ever been? what can you recommend, either something I'm missing for the west coast trip and/or dublin?
Posted Image

#2 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,451 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

I went the other direction, landed in Dublin and left 11 days later, from Shannon on the west side of the Republic. We didn't make it to Northern Ireland, but I hope to, someday.

We started in Dublin (and retrospectively, would have skipped it), drove south through the Wicklows to Waterford, then to Cobh (must see, County Cork) then to Adare (must see) and from there to the Cliffs of Moher (simply stunning) and the Rock of Cashel (Munster). We stayed in Adare and took a ferry (car)at Kilrush to make day trips to Cliffs of Moher and the Rock of Cashel.

Of course, you can't skip Blarney Castle - you must go and kiss the Blarney Stone. :hehe:

Places to visit "along the way" - pick and choose, since you don't have much time:
- Powers Court palace and Gardens, Wicklow, fabulous gardens and a restored mansion. Beautiful.
- Jameson Distillery - well worth the drive, amazing! Also in County Cork
- Waterford Crystal (in Waterford) - seeing the artists at work is mesmerizing...
- Jerpoint Abbey (County Kilkenny) ancient Cistercian abbey... guide was phenomenal, telling the history
- Castle Cahir (County Tipperaray) sooo amazing... probably the best preserved castle in Ireland, lots of movies are shot there.

Cobh is famous for having been the last place the Titanic was moored, before the fateful maiden/final voyage.

We couldn't get near the Book of Kells at Trinity College in Dublin... huge crowds in line for that. The Guinness distillery tour was OK. You might enjoy that.

OK! Good luck and enjoy. It's a magical country. :)

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#3 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

I went the other direction, landed in Dublin and left 11 days later, from Shannon on the west side of the Republic. We didn't make it to Northern Ireland, but I hope to, someday.

We started in Dublin (and retrospectively, would have skipped it), drove south through the Wicklows to Waterford, then to Cobh (must see, County Cork) then to Adare (must see) and from there to the Cliffs of Moher (simply stunning) and the Rock of Cashel (Munster). We stayed in Adare and took a ferry (car)at Kilrush to make day trips to Cliffs of Moher and the Rock of Cashel.

Of course, you can't skip Blarney Castle - you must go and kiss the Blarney Stone. :hehe:

Places to visit "along the way" - pick and choose, since you don't have much time:
- Powers Court palace and Gardens, Wicklow, fabulous gardens and a restored mansion. Beautiful.
- Jameson Distillery - well worth the drive, amazing! Also in County Cork
- Waterford Crystal (in Waterford) - seeing the artists at work is mesmerizing...
- Jerpoint Abbey (County Kilkenny) ancient Cistercian abbey... guide was phenomenal, telling the history
- Castle Cahir (County Tipperaray) sooo amazing... probably the best preserved castle in Ireland, lots of movies are shot there.

Cobh is famous for having been the last place the Titanic was moored, before the fateful maiden/final voyage.

We couldn't get near the Book of Kells at Trinity College in Dublin... huge crowds in line for that. The Guinness distillery tour was OK. You might enjoy that.

OK! Good luck and enjoy. It's a magical country. :)

thank's very much!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users