• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

What's Kenny Holland's Offseason Plan?

Rate this topic

Ultimately, I think Lids & Homer retire together at the end of the season, Stuart's negotiating rights are traded off to a Cali team for a draft pick, & Hudler's let go outright. If it plays out that way, I do see Kenny going hard after Parise to set up something like this at forward...

Parise-Pavs-Mule

Flip-Hank-Gus

Abby-Helm-Bert

Eaves-Emmerton-Miller

Mursak

Edit: Just dawned on me that I forgot Cleary...

Much of the 3rd & 4th line's problems get fixed with a healthy Helm & Eaves next year imo. Personally though, I would much rather see Sheahan centering the 4th if he can prove he can hold his own on faceoffs in camp. He has a clear size advantage on Emmerton & comes from a defensive minded system at ND that placed a great deal of emphasis on cycling the puck too.

I just don't see Suter leaving Nashville at this point, at least not for Detroit, and the rest of the FA class doesn't look that strong at all. That might mean the d-corps looks like this going into camp...

Kronner-White

Quincey-Ericsson

Smith-Kindl

Janik

If that's the case, I think Kenny needs to start packaging some prospects/draft picks up for a trade. But who knows, maybe if Lids does hang them up, Kenny will too like he's mentioned before. Maybe this should be a "What's Jim Nill's offseason plan" thread instead.

Edited by ogreslayer

I am changing this team. I know they made the playoffs, showed a little heart, they almost made my 6th place prediction come true, so I am not happy with this team at all. They backed into the playoffs and pretty much have lost it's identity this season. I realize it was probably an expensive asking price on Trade Day, so I won't hold Holland too accoutable and noone can predict the injuries, but some of the players that were relied upon to step up, failed. This is all hypothetical and what I would want to see done. Prolly won't happen, even though it is affordable, but hey, I can want...

Lidstrom retires, Holmstrom retires, Stuart leaves. I am not re-signing Hudler and I am trading Mursak, Franzen, Cleary, Kindl and Emmerton. I will send Franzen + off to Dallas (he can star with Eriksson for the next 10 years) for Brenden Morrow then re-sign him for a longer deal, then acquire whatever I can draft pick wise for the rest. I am re-signing Abdelkader, Helm and Qunicey to discounted but longer term deals. I am then signing Suter for $6.5M long term, Parise $6.7M long term and Semin $5.0M long term. When I say long term I mean at least 5 yrs. I am promoting Smith and Nyquist full time, also Tatar/Sheehan will be up & down here for the 13th forward to rotate in and out. I am not sure on a 7th Defenseman, but I am sure a serviceable one will present itself.

For GRR I am signing Dekeyser for the D and I wanted to sign Jeremy Welsh but he was already plucked by Carolina...another miss for Holland.

Anyhow, here is my 2012-2013 roster:

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($6.700m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($5.000m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg © ($6.083m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Brenden Morrow ($4.100m) / Darren Helm (@) ($1.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.866m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)

Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall (@) ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($6.500m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

This actually leaves $973,000 available under the CURRENT Cap. Of course if the Cap drops (which I doubt considering the revenue the NHL is bringing in) then some numbers could be tweaked, but this roster is sitting pretty good as it stands...

You may like it or not, and I am sure you will tell me about it, but this team beats the current team hands down all season long AND in a series.

I stand by what I said in the above post earlier in the spring, with the exception of maybe trying to get a better backup here to challenge Jimmy. He has no one to challenge him, his job is secure, he is comfortable. He needs to be pushed. Not many quality goalies out there that are sub $1M goalies....I think Vokoun and Nabokov will get more than that...we may be stuck with MacDonald.

Edited by LeftWinger

I didn't have a chance to listen to the interview yet but based on the comments I've seen it looks like all he said was "blah blah blah we've had so much past success we're going to play hard and I doubt much will change in the off season".

If this is true then I am very disappointed and have truly lost faith in Holland. This team has SERIOUS FLAWS all around. At least address them and encourage us that we will work towards fixing them. Not just "OH WAIT WE HAVE MIGHT HAVE ONE MORE RUN IN US". Because we've been hearing that for three years and enough is enough.

Hanging onto a nucleus too long is one of the most detrimental things you can do. Just look at what it did to the pistons.

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Parise

Zetterberg-Filppula-Malone

Abdelkader-Helm-Bertuzzi

Miller-Prust-Pyatt

Eaves/Mursak

Suter-White

Kronwall-Garrison

Ericsson-B.Smith

Vandermeer

Jason Garrison is an extremely underrated defenseman. I'd rather sign him and let Quincey go. He doesn't get a ton of exposure in Florida, but he's got a hell of a slap shot.

One part he says "we battle hard, we play hard" I just lol'ed.

This team has serious compete issues.

at least he did say yes when asked if he wished they had more physical of a presence on the ice right now. Regardless this interview really isn't worth listening to, he just kinda strokes the history of us, and blah blah blah parity... I can't say I expect him to have a melt down or just come out and say s***, so hopefully his actions speak for themselves in a positive way.

Howard needs to spend the whole summer working on improving his rebound control and preventing rebounds. Obviously that has been every teams game plan against him.... just shoot the puck on net for a rebound and play the rebound.

In my opinion we only have 3 elite players. I bet one of those retires in a few weeks. This summer is the absolute last second Holland has to improve the team before a rebuild is necessary. Truth is I bet they know it & have accepted it and are not planning to fix it. The new arena will be announced this summer or fall. They will begin rebuilding after next season & will anticipate having a rebuilt team in two or three years when the new arena opens. Hate to be so cynical but it's all a business & Hollands choices of the last few years have failed.

I am extremely respectful & appreciative of the last twenty years or so. I have absolutely loved it, but the writing is on the wall.

It is amazing reading all the calls for Franzen to get traded. There is no chance the Stars, Leafs or anyone else will take that contract off our hands. He has eight years left, cap hit of just under $4M and is owed almost $24M over the next five seasons.

The only chance of a trade happening is if he's exchanged for another terrible contract. So I guess that means he either goes to Vancouver for Luongo (which is an even worse contract -- 10 more years at a cap hit of $5.3M, and owed $40M over the next six years) or to the Islanders for DiPietro.

It is amazing reading all the calls for Franzen to get traded. There is no chance the Stars, Leafs or anyone else will take that contract off our hands. He has eight years left, cap hit of just under $4M and is owed almost $24M over the next five seasons.

The only chance of a trade happening is if he's exchanged for another terrible contract. So I guess that means he either goes to Vancouver for Luongo (which is an even worse contract -- 10 more years at a cap hit of $5.3M, and owed $40M over the next six years) or to the Islanders for DiPietro.

Fixed it for you :hehe:

I have a feeling that there won't be any major changes.

I don't think we land Parise or Suter now.

Maybe we land that Justin Schultz, but I just don't think many big moves are coming because it is going to be hard to keep what we have.

I don't think we can make any trades to fix our team in one year that doesn't empty the cupboards. I also think that the office thinks those prospects are up to the task of being the next wave.

Perhaps Holland will empty the UFA contracts at the next deadline and bring up all the youngsters.

It is a awful mess to try and fix, because you have to get worse to get better.

Guest Heaten

One part he says "we battle hard, we play hard" I just lol'ed.

This team has serious compete issues.

So I take it you didn't watch game 4? Detroit has outplayed and out chanced Nashville. Difference is Nashville has capitalized on their chances, Wings did not. You can blame Datsyuk for not burying his multiple grade 'A' chances, you can blame Filpulla and Lidstrom as well.

I'm not disappointed with the team. I think they are playing the traditional Red Wings hockey that won cups in the past. This year they are not getting the luck or bounces or calls.

The Franzen contract isn't bad. I stand by the concept that we need another big time forward to allow us to balance the top lines for chemistry. There just isn't any way to put Franzen and Pavel together without destroying that line or the second to compensate.

Pavel Fil and Franzen would be the best bet.

So after this years first round ouster what does Kenny do in the offseason? As far as I am concerned its a complete failure if both Ryan Sutter & Zach Praise are not in Wing jersey's come fall. Also I would make a play for Shea Webber b/c our first round picks take for ever to come on board and also they gave up a first for a piece of junk in Kyle Quency so might as well give up some firsts for something great.

What's a fact is that this team has been in serious decline since game 7 2009 and it needs to be fixed ASAP! This team won't beat any of the other 7 teams in the West come playoffs and being is 6th seed is a damm joke!

last i checked we were still in the playoffs....not the greatest chance at winning but didnt we come back from 3-0 against st jose last year?

So after this years first round ouster what does Kenny do in the offseason? As far as I am concerned its a complete failure if both Ryan Sutter & Zach Praise are not in Wing jersey's come fall. Also I would make a play for Shea Webber b/c our first round picks take for ever to come on board and also they gave up a first for a piece of junk in Kyle Quency so might as well give up some firsts for something great.

What's a fact is that this team has been in serious decline since game 7 2009 and it needs to be fixed ASAP! This team won't beat any of the other 7 teams in the West come playoffs and being is 6th seed is a damm joke!

I for one am going to be really disappointed if Kenny goes after Sutter, Praise, & Webber. Are those cheap, Chinese knockoffs of the real Ryan Suter, Zach Parise, & Shea Weber?

the real problem with the Wings is this,

before when our skill level wasnt getting it done we had the likes of Mac,Shan,Joey and Lapointe to shake it up

and get the momentum swing we needed. We do still have a high skill level, but we are lacking in the other department.

this roster doesn't need a complete overhaul but it does need a change of 3 or 4 personnel in key areas.

hopefully we'll see this done in the off season by our GM, if not i think the owner may be having words.

the real problem with the Wings is this,

before when our skill level wasnt getting it done we had the likes of Mac,Shan,Joey and Lapointe to shake it up

and get the momentum swing we needed. We do still have a high skill level, but we are lacking in the other department.

this roster doesn't need a complete overhaul but it does need a change of 3 or 4 personnel in key areas.

hopefully we'll see this done in the off season by our GM, if not i think the owner may be having words.

Agree, but don't hold your breath.

esteef

If nobody is going to take Franzen's horrible contract off our hands, then still go after Parise and Semin and demote Franzen to the third line with Helm & Bertuzzi. If Bertuzzi plays anywhere near the top two, then I hate the re-signing of him. Third line is perfect for Bert. It will be fine for Franzen too. I don't mind Franzen in a third line role, but he is NOWHERE near a top 6 forward anymore. Not on this team or most others. He's NEVER be picked to be an All-Star and as hokey as the ASG Weekend is, it still speaks wonders of what the fans and your piers think of you as a player. Let Hudler walk. Zetterberg and Datsyuk and even Filppula need skilled scoring forwards.

Parise - Datsyuk - Semin

Filppula - Z - Nyquist

Bert - Helm - Franzen

Miller - Abdelkader - Eaves

Tatar(Sheahan)

I'd prefer just dumping Frazen and acquiring Morrow for that third line though...

Agree, but don't hold your breath.

esteef

Agree with both of you! The 3 or 4 player change AND not holding my breath...

Leaving - Cleary, Franzen, Hudler, Emmerton, Mursak, Stuart (Lids & Holms retires)

Coming - Morrow, Parise, Semin, Suter, Smith

Edited by LeftWinger

Semin has a horrible work ethic. I don't want him here. A lot of people complain about Hudler and Franzen, and I don't think they realize that Semin is basically the same thing, as far as effort goes. He has a lot of skill, but often seems uninterested in the game. There are better option out there for the top 6.

Semin has a horrible work ethic. I don't want him here. A lot of people complain about Hudler and Franzen, and I don't think they realize that Semin is basically the same thing, as far as effort goes. He has a lot of skill, but often seems uninterested in the game. There are better option out there for the top 6.

as long as that other option is a perfect compliment to Datsyuk (like Hossa was). This team needs TWO pure scorer's. Maybe Semin for a year to see what gels, if he works out great, if not, he moves on...

Maybe they get lucky and Cleary goes the Rafalski route and hangs them up for health reasons? Though he has been playing his ass off in this series so it makes me believe that he still has the desire to play.

Just a thought.

Maybe they get lucky and Cleary goes the Rafalski route and hangs them up for health reasons? Though he has been playing his ass off in this series so it makes me believe that he still has the desire to play.

Just a thought.

Maybe they get even luckier and Hudler decides to do that

The first thing that Holland needs to do, and would be a good sign of things to come, is that he decides to get a new flipping haircut and stop walking around like he just stuck his head in a grease gun. All the money in the world and he goes out his house looking like that. What is the deal? If he can figure that out, I will expect better things moving forward.

I hope Kenny's watching the other teams who have a bottom six filled with guys who play extremely hard, can skate really quickly and are more than solid defensively. I mean, the guys aren't even that big. It seems like a lot of them are around 6'0 or 5'11 but they get the job done in the playoffs.