• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

What's Kenny Holland's Offseason Plan?

Rate this topic

I sat there watching the handshake and my gut feeling is that Nick is done. He's 42 and clearly his body doesn't heal the way it used to. He went scoreless in the postseason to boot. I think Nick is going to see that as a sign he's not what he used to be and he'd rather not come back and be even less than what he was. Stuart is gone. My guess is he signs with the Ducks. I think Holmstrom is gone too. He was barely used on the PP and that, truly, was where he was most valuable. At this point he's useless if he's not being used on the PP. The bottom line is that the league has caught up to and figured this team out. Change HAS to happen. Management needs to realize the team isn't good enough to win a Cup anymore. With the uncertainty of the next CBA, it's hard to see them going after Parise and Suter. Suter, IMO, is the more important of the 2 if Nick retires. If he comes back, they need to switch the focus to Parise.

Take Scotty Bowman out of the equation, Holland would of just been another GM. He gets way too much credit and not enough blame. What did he think was going to happen with this team?

Holland's cup in 2008 was not because of Scotty Bowman.

Jim Nill will probably not take over the reigns and Yzerman is in Tampa. Neither of those are realistic choices (don't forget Yzerman as GM had a 60 goal scorer on his roster this season and still couldn't find a way into the playoffs).

Edited by Doc Holliday

Seems like Hudler thinks the writing is on the wall in this article

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/04/changes_could_be_brewing_with.html

I'd be pretty annoyed if Holmstrom came back next year. Sucks to say that, but he is no longer capable of playing a top 6 role, and he can't play an effective checking role. I love Homer, but it's time he hangs them up.

It seems clear to me that Stuart is gone.

Obviously, Lids' decision will dictate how we go about remodeling our defense in free agency. Hopefully he comes back, but it seems up in the air.

Hudler is gonna want a steady raise, and I could care less if we let him walk. I wouldn't mind trying out someone new for the top 6.

I think the Bertuzzi signing was extremely stupid. I like Bertuzzi and am not one to bash him, but he brings nothing to this team besides crafty shootout victories. He had zero points in the playoffs and was minus 5. Also, if it were possible I would really enjoy seeing Franzen leave this team, just can't stand him anymore.

Someone on another board I frequent made an interesting comment that led to the debate of: did the Wings sign the wrong player in 2009 (Hossa vs Franzen)?

This is a good tracker

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nhl/

By the looks of available players it seems a good idea that we get parise, suter, and Jason arnott. Arnott is a right hander and doesn't seem to mind floating around the central division and he's a physical presence.

Edited by plopster

Bertuzzi - datsyuk - parise

Filpulla - Zetterberg - Cleary

Holmstrom - Arnott - franzen

Abdelkader - Helm - Miller

Eaves/holmstrom

Lidstrom - white

Suter - Kronwall

Ericsson - Quincey

Smith/Quincey

I don't know that the salary cap is breeched by this lineup, but looks pretty good to me

Edited by plopster

Nyquist - datsyuk - parise

Filpulla - Zetterberg - Emmerton

Holmstrom - Arnott - franzen

Abdelkader - Helm - Miller

Eaves/holmstrom

Lidstrom - white

Suter - Kronwall

Ericsson - Quincey

Smith/Quincey

Why is Emmerton on the second line?

I think that our winning tradition in the past made us an enviable place to come and play, so much that players may take a 'discount' to be a Red Wing. I mean let's be honest, the city is not an attraction, nor is the Joe Louis. Unfortunately, that winning tradition has taken a bit of a hit lately with the early exits from playoffs. So now the only way is if Holland throws a lot of money at players. Seriously, why would Suter want to come if he is offered something with Nashville or Parise? I think players like that only comes to play in Detroit if they are offered more $$. Thoughts?

Edited by RedWingsRox

Why is Emmerton on the second line?

fixed it

I think that our winning tradition in the past made us an enviable place to come and play, so much that players may take a 'discount' to be a Red Wing. I mean let's be honest, the city is not an attraction, nor is the Joe Louis. Unfortunately, that winning tradition has taken a bit of a hit lately with the early exits from playoffs. So now the only way is if Holland throws a lot of money at players. Seriously, why would Suter want to come if he is offered something with Nashville or Parise? I think players like that only comes to play in Detroit if they are offered more $. Thoughts?

I think to get Suter, Holland would have to get Arnott and Parise or similar talent, and drop the dead weight like cleary or hudler, then go to Suter and say heres what we have to done to improve, here is what we want to offer you because we really want you to come play for us because you will help us win a cup.

I think to get Suter, Holland would have to get Arnott and Parise or similar talent, and drop the dead weight like cleary or hudler, then go to Suter and say heres what we have to done to improve, here is what we want to offer you because we really want you to come play for us because you will help us win a cup.

Except when July 1st 9:00 am comes, you've got to go after them all .. at once.

Except when July 1st 9:00 am comes, you've got to go after them all .. at once.

well I would imagine that there is some embellishing going on when those calls are made about what moves have gone through...

How about some wingers that give a crap.

We have close to $21 million to get some players. If Lidstrom comes back, expect to pay him between 5 and 6 million. Suter is gonna get $6 million on the open market and Parise is gonna command upwards of 7 to 7.5 million based on the inflated salaries last year. We still need to pay Quincey, Helm, and Abdelkader. Even at best case scenario this would be hard to work in.

Lidstrom - $5 Million

Suter - $6 Million

Parise - 7 Million

Helm - $2 Million

Abdelkader - $1 Million

Quincey - $3 Million

Total - $24 Million

One of two things have to happen. Salary cap increase and/or trade someone. The chances at getting other people in addition are slim to none. Trades need to happen in my opinion because the CBA is an unsure thing and noone knows if the cap will go up or down.

Although a great player its sad that we have a 42 year old as our best Defensman, Lidsrom or not our future is a little scary unless we pick someone up.

Anyone who thinks Parise won't get that much is dreaming. If Lidstrom comes back go after Parise hard and hopefully Suter. If he retires pull out the check book.

The more people talk about Parise and Suter the less I think we'll actually get them.

esteef

I feel the same way. I have hope that we will get a pretty good D if not Suter someone like Carle or Wideman and at F if not Parise someone like P-A Parenteau who is a pretty damn good player.

The more people talk about Parise and Suter the less I think we'll actually get them.

esteef

There are going to be a lot of disappointment around here come July 1st I can tell you that.

I say we don't get either of them. Kenny needs to get creative and make this team better VIA trade.