• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

What's Kenny Holland's Offseason Plan?

Rate this topic

Guest Hatethedrake!

Unless lidstrom takes a discount I really fail to see how the Wings would be able to sign both Parise and Suter while re-signing Lidstrom. Don't get me wrong, I'd like all 3 but that's a tall order

Depending on where the chips fall, I don't think it's impossible...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Ryan Suter ($7.000m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $68,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,708,712; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,291,288

Why is everyone so confident that Suter and Parise will land here in Detroit? There are plenty of other organizations that want them both.

I don't know if its so much confidence as it is optimism. We have lots of caps space, for a change, and these two players bring something we're lacking right now, so one would have to think that we're at least going to be pursuing them. Personally, I don't think we'll get both, but one would be great. We need a new stud defenseman with Lidstrom getting near the end and Parise would fit so well on this team its ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wings get neither, but they have to do something. I really don't want to hear Holland say in September "Darren Helm coming back from injury was our big off season acquisition".

With the Winter Classic, aging core, and 3 years of being spanked in the post season, I actually think Holland will attempt to make some big moves and spend to the cap. In a dream world:

1. Lidstrom comes back. Holmstrom (god love him) doesn't.

2. Sign Parise.

3. Trade Franzen, Filpulla, and Emmerton to Anaheim for Corey Perry.

4. Trade Miller to Buffalo for Cody McCormick.

5. Sign Bryan Allen to replace Stuart. And Josh Harding to back up Jimmy.

This will never happen (I even overpaid for Perry) but one can dream.

FORWARDS

Parise ($7.000m) / Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Nyquist ($0.875m)

Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Perry ($5.325m)

Cleary ($2.800m) / Helm ($1.500m) / Eaves ($1.200m)

Abdelkader ($1.500m) / McCormick ($1.200m) / Andersson ($0.875m)

Mursak ($0.550m) / Conner ($0.550m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Kronwall ($4.750m) / Allen ($4.000m)

Lidstrom ($5.500m) / Ericsson ($3.250m)

White ($2.875m) / Smith ($0.875m)

Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Howard ($2.250m)

Harding ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,116,667; BONUSES: $275,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $183,333

Edited by rick zombo

Depending on where the chips fall, I don't think it's impossible...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Ryan Suter ($7.000m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

SALARY CAP: $68,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,708,712; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,291,288

I guess I dont see it being that realistic that the Wings don't bring Quincey back. Plus, you'd need to add another forward to fill out the 23-man roster.

With the Winter Classic, aging core, and 3 years of being spanked in the post season, I actually think Holland will attempt to make some big moves and spend to the cap. In a dream world:

1. Lidstrom comes back. Holmstrom (god love him) doesn't.

2. Sign Parise.

3. Trade Franzen, Filpulla, and Emmerton to Anaheim for Corey Perry.

4. Trade Miller to Buffalo for Cody McCormick.

5. Sign Bryan Allen to replace Stuart. And Josh Harding to back up Jimmy.

This will never happen (I even overpaid for Perry) but one can dream.

FORWARDS

Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Perry ($5.325m)

Cleary ($2.800m) / Helm ($1.500m) / Eaves ($1.200m)

Abdelkader ($1.500m) / McCormick ($1.200m) / Andersson ($0.875m)

Mursak ($0.550m) / Conner ($0.550m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Kronwall ($4.750m) / Allen ($4.000m)

Lidstrom ($5.500m) / Ericsson ($3.250m)

White ($2.875m) / Smith ($0.875m)

Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Howard ($2.250m)

Harding ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,116,667; BONUSES: $275,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $183,333

Hmmmm... I like #1,2,3,4. Perry would be a GREAT addition. He has the grit AND scoring we need in the top 6. Perfect player to prevent us getting pushed around and has a right handed shot. I would make a few changes though. I'd have Tatar in the top 6 for bert and move bert down to third line and eaves down to fourth line bumping andersson out. I just think Bert shouldn't be relied upon anymore as a top 6 player and should convert to more of a checking role. That makes a solid bottom 6. Does anyone think that Perry could be had for Fil, Franzen, Emmerton and a first rounder next year?

Tatar ($0.875m) / Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Perry ($5.325m)

Cleary ($2.800m) / Helm ($1.500m) / Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Abdelkader ($1.500m) / McCormick ($1.200m) / Eaves ($1.200m)

Mursak ($0.550m) / Andersson ($0.875m)

Franzen for Morrow is one of the dumbest trade ideas in recent memory. Franzen, while streaky, pots close to 30 goals a year. His injuries have often been freak plays. Morrow throws a check and limps off the ice. He fills no void for the Wings.

To me, Parise is the "all in" UFA for this franchise. He'd be dynamite on a line with Datsyuk. I truly think Detroit is on his short list of destinations.

Suter is interesting because Nashville could go far this postseason and now has an ownership group that can pay him. The question for the Preds will simply be "Can we pay everyone?" Radulov is going to get a huge pay raise. Weber is UFA next summer and could easily get $10 million/year on the open market and the team has some other free agents they'll need to decide on. Given their depth of D, maybe they let Suter walk for the greater good. I think most can agree on the Wings making a huge push on both Suter and Parise. They are "need" players for the franchise. I can only hope management does not drop the ball this offseason as they have since 2009.

Dream scenario to me is:

1. Sign both Suter and Parise

2. Some type of trade to acquire a right handed sniper. If its FA that's fine too. If possible Id take Shane Doan for leadership toughness and a right handed shot.. this obviously would depend on who we let go and who retires.

3. Reshuffling of the bottom 2 lines. Bert move back to 3rd line. Homer retire. Helm and Eaves get healthy. Sign one other tough grinder type player.

Dream scenario to me is:

1. Sign both Suter and Parise

2. Some type of trade to acquire a right handed sniper. If its FA that's fine too. If possible Id take Shane Doan for leadership toughness and a right handed shot.. this obviously would depend on who we let go and who retires.

3. Reshuffling of the bottom 2 lines. Bert move back to 3rd line. Homer retire. Helm and Eaves get healthy. Sign one other tough grinder type player.

Brandon Prust. He's tough son of a ***** that can actually play. He'd be great on the 3rd line with Bert/Helm or Eaves/Helm depending on which way the wind is blowing that day.

Salary cap prevents a lot of trades and who, minus our core, was really trade bait? Too many people live in a fantasy world when it comes to trades & free agency.

How about Parise, Perry, Suter?

What would it take to get Perry?

EDIT:

Salary cap prevents a lot of trades and who, minus our core, was really trade bait? Too many people live in a fantasy world when it comes to trades & free agency.

Flip and Nyquist come to mind first. Franzen's not entirely unmovable. Abdelkaber, Miller, Emmerton, Eaves....

(I kind of like our D, assuming we get Suter and Nick returns.)

Edited by Dabura

I kind of like our D, assuming we get Suter and Nick returns.

Just remembered that Stuart isn't expected to be back. Man, if we lose Nick and Stuart, we NEED to do something big on the blue line. Not saying Suter is a must, there's always trades, but that would be an awful scenario to have to replace both of them in one offseason.

Wings won't trade Flip or Nyquist. If Franzen is made available, Holland will want a comparable player in return. Name how many of those guys are actually available and if someone wants to absorb the years left on Mule's deal. Realistically, what do you think guys like Eaves, Emmerton, Miller or Abdelkader bring in return? Not much. Miller actually scores on the bottom 2 lines. You gotta hold on to guys like that. The other 3 are role players that don't score. Not exactly hot commodities.

I agree about Nyquist, no way Holland moves him. Flip is, I think, a possibility.

The bottom six guys I mentioned, they're good guys, but they're also pretty expendable. Not that I think they'd fetch a whole lot - unless, perhaps, packaged along with a bigger name or two....

As for Franzen - like I said, he's not entirely unmovable. I realize everyone and his mom feels that no one in his right mind would ever take him on, but I really don't think that's so. There are teams who could use someone like him. Could we get a comparable player in return? I dunno. But the thing with him is, if he starts tanking, he may very well be unmovable in a couple seasons. In which case The Powers That Be would look back in anger and remorse, asking, "Why didn't we even consider moving this lazy sonsabitch?"

Mind you, I don't seem him going anywhere. So I do hope he does great things for us. (In other words, I don't have a Franzen voodoo doll. He has the potential to be elite.)

Edited by Dabura

Franzen for Morrow is one of the dumbest trade ideas in recent memory. Franzen, while streaky, pots close to 30 goals a year. His injuries have often been freak plays. Morrow throws a check and limps off the ice. He fills no void for the Wings.

To me, Parise is the "all in" UFA for this franchise. He'd be dynamite on a line with Datsyuk. I truly think Detroit is on his short list of destinations.

Suter is interesting because Nashville could go far this postseason and now has an ownership group that can pay him. The question for the Preds will simply be "Can we pay everyone?" Radulov is going to get a huge pay raise. Weber is UFA next summer and could easily get $10 million/year on the open market and the team has some other free agents they'll need to decide on. Given their depth of D, maybe they let Suter walk for the greater good. I think most can agree on the Wings making a huge push on both Suter and Parise. They are "need" players for the franchise. I can only hope management does not drop the ball this offseason as they have since 2009.

Franzen just proved to the entire world that he has zero heart. He floated around like a butterfly and only scored when the time expired and his lazy ass got in the way of the actual man who made the play...and regarding Morrow hitting and limping away....uh...at least he hits. I would Morrow's heart, grit and 20 goals over Franzen and his lazy, heartless, soft nearly 30. Oh and regarding injuries, Franzen has played 180 games the last 3 seasons....Morrow 215.

Sorry but if you want results and a change to this franchise to avoid the same crap next season, IMO Franzen has to go.

I don't live in one...Franzen, Cleary, Hudler, Emmerton, Mursak and Kindl were all tradeable at the deadline, and they are all tradeable at the draft. (minus Hudler the UFA)

Just remembered that Stuart isn't expected to be back. Man, if we lose Nick and Stuart, we NEED to do something big on the blue line. Not saying Suter is a must, there's always trades, but that would be an awful scenario to have to replace both of them in one offseason.

Honestly, I believe that signing Suter and re-signing Quincey along with promoting Smith full time will more than cover the loss of Lids and Stuart. Especially they way Lids played the end of the season and payoffs. I understand he was nursing an injury, but if he cannot heal correctly, it's time to call it a career...he just looked worn down and tired...it may be over.

This team needs some change this summer badly!

This is what I would like to see (probably hopeful but possible)

First trade Franzen, rights to Stuart, and pick/prospect for Dustin Brown at draft (right handed shot, plays with grit, skates hard) - long shot but possible imo

Then sign Parise (goal scorer, entering prime)

Resign lids at slight discount if possible

Don't resign huds please!

Sign someone like Jarott Stoll (right hander with grit and scoring touch)

Sign Bryan Allen to replace Stuart

Trade Emmerton, Kindl, for anything

Lines could look like this:

Parise-Datsyuk-BertuzziFilpula-Z-BrownNyquist-Helm-StollCleary-Abdelkader-Eaves/Miller

Lids-WhiteKronwall-AllenEricsson-Quincey/Smith

Even without Stoll lines would be a lot more solid! Parise and Brown are upgrades over Hudler/Franzen

Suter would be awesome but I think he'll stay in Nashville!

Man, just imagine if the wings missed the playoffs. :scared:

I think the Wings need to do a little more than stick with free agents, I'd really like the wings to look into a trade the only players I wouldn't trade on the Wings right now are Z/Pav/Kronwall/Nyquist/Smith .It's probably unlikely but San Jose is going to be looking to change things up, wouldn't mind seeing Murray, or Clowe. Canucks are looking to retool as well.

Or if we miss on Parise/Suter we could tank for #1 pick next year and then try and lure Sidney Crosby here :hehe:

To be serious though next years UFA market is looking really good Corey Perry and Getzlaf need to be signed so it's possible one might test the market, Fisher, Hartnell, J. Staal, Lupul, Derek Roy, Horton, Enstrom, Clowe, Edler, Weiss, Chris Neil, Chad Larose, Nystrom ugh why couldn't it be this year :(

I don't know if its so much confidence as it is optimism. We have lots of caps space, for a change, and these two players bring something we're lacking right now, so one would have to think that we're at least going to be pursuing them. Personally, I don't think we'll get both, but one would be great. We need a new stud defenseman with Lidstrom getting near the end and Parise would fit so well on this team its ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wings get neither, but they have to do something. I really don't want to hear Holland say in September "Darren Helm coming back from injury was our big off season acquisition".

Optimism is fine, but in reality I don't see why either one would sign with the wings. What we have to offer here is a tradition of winning (which is great but doesn't mean much), an aging group of core players, and some modest talent as far as prospects go. We have to be realistic here and realize that Parise and Suter are just about to enter their prime. They are going to want to go to a team that is going to be getting better and better every year. I'm sorry to say that I see Detroit going the exact opposite way and in the end, I think that will be why they don't sign with the wings.

Optimism is fine, but in reality I don't see why either one would sign with the wings. What we have to offer here is a tradition of winning (which is great but doesn't mean much), an aging group of core players, and some modest talent as far as prospects go. We have to be realistic here and realize that Parise and Suter are just about to enter their prime. They are going to want to go to a team that is going to be getting better and better every year. I'm sorry to say that I see Detroit going the exact opposite way and in the end, I think that will be why they don't sign with the wings.

Which teams, other than Detroit, can guarantee consistent success and bids to the playoffs?

Detroit is a promising destination no matter what the naysayers think.

Which teams, other than Detroit, can guarantee consistent success and bids to the playoffs?

Detroit is a promising destination no matter what the naysayers think.

I don't know, who would want to play with that Datsyuk guy? Terrible player.