• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

What's Kenny Holland's Offseason Plan?

Rate this topic

He's an RFA, so we're not stuck with him. Having said that, bet your lunch that Holland re-signs him.

I agree, I just hope it's not more than $3M per season. He should get a raise, but a small cut isn't too insulting, especially if it long term. If Lids does come back, Holland needs to cut salary wherever he can so he can make a serious run for Parise and Suter. I still would love to see a strong goalie come in to push Jimmy. Conklin and Mac aren't good enough to give Jimmy a challenge. I think Jimmy needs a challenge to take that next step...

I'd prefer Kindl be moved before White. Very underwhelmed by Kobdl in all facets of his game.

This we do agree upon! I have never like Kindl, even on draft day. I list him as my 7th defenseman only because at his pay and experience, not many other #7's out there that are worth it. It's pretty sad that he turned out to be a wasted draft pick. But until recently I have always second guessed Holland's choices at the table, none moreso than Kindl. For a long time, he seemed fixated on mid-size European Defensemen like he was trying to find the next Lidstrom or maybe still trying to replace Vladdy. He has done pretty well in the 3rd and later, because his scouts are always finding him that obscure talent and he knows when he wants to select them, but he always seems to falter when it comes to that first round pick. ( I do like the Sheahan pick) That is why I shutter at the thought if he ever had the #1 pick overall...

Earlier I mentioned that I would've loved for Holland to sign free agent player Jeremy Welsh out of Union. He signed an EL contract with Carolina so I figured that was over. Turns out, Welsh only signed a deal that lasted until the end of the season. He is a RFA this July 1st. I would love to see this kid signed to shore up GR and eventually make the jump. He truly is a diamond in the rough. He is going to turn some heads one day soon in the NHL...

Our prospect pool isn't bad hell I believe it's in the top half of the league, I'll definitely take our prospect pool over Minnesota's for sure. Red Wings have the most respected front office in the league and to go along with a great coach. On the ice. The track record speaks for itself. I'm not saying we will get whoever we want, but a free agent isn't going to just cross out the Red Wings.

Wow that would be a horrible decision. There's not a GM in the league that would take the Wings' prospects over Minnesota's. After the draft the wild took an average pool and made it a great prospect pool. I've seen them ranked in the top 3 in the league by a few scouts. I'm friends with a couple NHL scouts I met a while back and we talk hockey every now and then and they have said that Minnesota's prospect pool is still a little bit underrated even though they are ranked high in virtually every updated list by a competent author. The Wings have a very average prospect pool. I'm not saying it's certain that Parise and Suter won't sign here but let's be honest with ourselves, it's going to be tough to get them both here. Kenny will probably offer around 7.000Mil a year for each. I think Minnesota is going to be the stiffest competition for the Wings given everything I've said about the prospects and a number of other factors. They both have strong ties to Minnesota and Parise was born and raised there. Toss in the fact that Minnesota will probably go as high as 8.000Mil per year on Parise and maybe 7-7.5 for Suter and it's going to be tough to get them in red and white.

LOL you're pathetic kid. You can't even keep on topic while everyone blows holes in your ridiculous fantasy trades like Franzen for Morrow. No one is making competitions out of thread creation. What are you 10? Who cares who replies?? I frankly was exhausted by page after page of fantasy scenarios. I hadnt even started posting on this forum again until recently so no, I didn't make any predictions like you apparently did in your crystal ball. You're right, no one's opinion is right or wrong. But that doesn't mean an opinion isn't dumb or even ridiculous in nature, like your master plan you laid out. It's dumb, it's short sighted and my daring prediction is none of it will happen.

Let's agree to disagree from here on out. I get tired of replying to useless drivel.

Wow that would be a horrible decision. There's not a GM in the league that would take the Wings' prospects over Minnesota's. After the draft the wild took an average pool and made it a great prospect pool. I've seen them ranked in the top 3 in the league by a few scouts. I'm friends with a couple NHL scouts I met a while back and we talk hockey every now and then and they have said that Minnesota's prospect pool is still a little bit underrated even though they are ranked high in virtually every updated list by a competent author. The Wings have a very average prospect pool. I'm not saying it's certain that Parise and Suter won't sign here but let's be honest with ourselves, it's going to be tough to get them both here. Kenny will probably offer around 7.000Mil a year for each. I think Minnesota is going to be the stiffest competition for the Wings given everything I've said about the prospects and a number of other factors. They both have strong ties to Minnesota and Parise was born and raised there. Toss in the fact that Minnesota will probably go as high as 8.000Mil per year on Parise and maybe 7-7.5 for Suter and it's going to be tough to get them in red and white.

I'd like to see these competent authors. I don't really rely on THN, HFboards, Espn etc. Just going through the prospects with my own research and don't see how the Wild's prospect pool is top 3 material Hackett and Granlund are great but the depth seems to be lacking.

I agree about the other factors with Parise though.

Edited by Carman

All I know is Parise and Suter are great, but the fact remains there needs to be a grit player. Look at what the teams with grit are doing now. The Blues, the Flyers, the Yotes, the Kings, they all had the gritty guys grind it out, punish the opposition, and wear them down so the finishers could finish and take advantage of the tired players on the ice. Remember who the Wings had in 2008? Drake, McCarty and Chelios. Not only was there grit, but there was depth. And Cleary and Helm were healthy at the time as well. Same thing in 2009. The grind line was still there, even though Babcock wouldn't play McCarty. Then we also had Hossa. The fact is that grit wins the post season, while scoring and special teams wins the regular season. You have to just wear down the other team because when the series starts, everyone is motivated and on pretty equal footing. We need to get some more grit and stop with the finesse. We have that covered. Now it needs to be balanced out.

I'd like to see these competent authors. I don't really rely on THN, HFboards, Espn etc. Just going through the prospects with my own research and don't see how the Wild's prospect pool is top 3 material Hackett and Granlund are great but the depth seems to be lacking.

I agree about the other factors with Parise though.

I do a lot of my own research too. But I talk to scouts and other people who know a lot about western conference teams. I have to get most of my stuff on the East on my own accord, but I digress. Ah you are right about Granlund and Hackett. They are very good prospects. But there's WAY more than that. Charlie Coyle and Zach Phillips are two players the Wild picked up in the draft last year and they both play together for the Saint Johns Sea Dogs in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. The numbers in that league are slightly inflated based on style of play but those two absolutely tore it up. Coyle had almost 2 pts per game and they haven't slowed down in the playoffs. Coyle has great speed and size and is a pure scorer. Phillips is a great offensive forward. He makes passes that he has no business making and is on the same line as Coyle and regularly sets him up. The one knock on him is that his skating needs to improve. Jonis Brodin was their first pick in last years draft and it looks like once he adds a little size he's going to be a fantastic defenseman. He can really skate and move the puck. He played for Farjestads in the Swedish Elite League. Johan Gustafsson is another goalie prospect that looks really promising. He won gold with Sweden in the WJC. The captain of that team was Johan Larsson and he is probably the most underrated prospect in the organization. All he does is win everywhere he goes. There's a ton more.. Bulmer, Zucker who played the last few games with them this year, Mario Lucia is a raw prospect but has a huge upside and serious star potential. Tyler Cuma, Marco Scandella, Haula and theres more but I don't wanna get too deep. Plus they have the 7 overall this year and will likely end up with one of the defenseman that scouts are salivating over. And this new regime they have is really really good at drafting. They've rebuilt the prospect pool in like 3 years and considering they had absolutely nothing before that it's impressive that they now have really an embarrassment of riches.

All I know is Parise and Suter are great, but the fact remains there needs to be a grit player. Look at what the teams with grit are doing now. The Blues, the Flyers, the Yotes, the Kings, they all had the gritty guys grind it out, punish the opposition, and wear them down so the finishers could finish and take advantage of the tired players on the ice. Remember who the Wings had in 2008? Drake, McCarty and Chelios. Not only was there grit, but there was depth. And Cleary and Helm were healthy at the time as well. Same thing in 2009. The grind line was still there, even though Babcock wouldn't play McCarty. Then we also had Hossa. The fact is that grit wins the post season, while scoring and special teams wins the regular season. You have to just wear down the other team because when the series starts, everyone is motivated and on pretty equal footing. We need to get some more grit and stop with the finesse. We have that covered. Now it needs to be balanced out.

Holland has already pretty much said he's not especially interested in sandpaper. I think at most we'll get a guy like Doan or someone like Prust. Parise is definitely the priority, though. Ideally, we somehow get Corey Perry in addition. I really feel he'd be huge for us in more than one department - grit being one of them.

(I think I'm gonna try and mention Perry in every post I make from now until July 1.)

(Ha, no.)

LOL you're pathetic kid. You can't even keep on topic while everyone blows holes in your ridiculous fantasy trades like Franzen for Morrow. No one is making competitions out of thread creation. What are you 10? Who cares who replies?? I frankly was exhausted by page after page of fantasy scenarios. I hadnt even started posting on this forum again until recently so no, I didn't make any predictions like you apparently did in your crystal ball. You're right, no one's opinion is right or wrong. But that doesn't mean an opinion isn't dumb or even ridiculous in nature, like your master plan you laid out. It's dumb, it's short sighted and my daring prediction is none of it will happen.

Let's agree to disagree from here on out. I get tired of replying to useless drivel.

You showed me....ooooo scary.

My "master plan" as you put it, includes your realistic signing of Parise, but I guess if none of it is going to happen, then your plan isnt so realistic afterall...

Basically everything everyone is talking about here is hopes and fantasy, including yours. Agree to disagree, you hold Franzen more valuable than I do. He has broke his last straw with me, how many more years of his asinine contract until he breaks you? Also I did agree that Franzen may be a bit overpayment, but so was a 1st for.Quincey, so Holland has overpaid before....but you are just too focused on cutting someone down for wanting lazy players out and hard workers in, for wanting change.

Lets all just hope for a better team this october than the one that stunk up the ice since march.

Edited by LeftWinger

Holland has already pretty much said he's not especially interested in sandpaper. I think at most we'll get a guy like Doan or someone like Prust. Parise is definitely the priority, though. Ideally, we somehow get Corey Perry in addition. I really feel he'd be huge for us in more than one department - grit being one of them.

(I think I'm gonna try and mention Perry in every post I make from now until July 1.)

(Ha, no.)

But you do agree that it is part of the formula to win playoff hockey right? I mean it is so obvious. Look at the Bruins last year and this year. With the guys the wings have that really can score, if they balance it out with guys to wear down the opposition on the forecheck, it opens the door for your scorers. Thats why you need your 3rd and 4th line out there for a good solid shift keeping the puck in your offensive zone for a good 30-40 seconds each shift they are out there. That really takes a toll on the D.

(Ha, no.)

The best fit for the Wings needs is Parise and Prust. Sign Suter if possible. Any other potential signings do not hold the value these 3 do. Doan and Perry will re-sign with their current teams.

What about Tatar, Andersson and Sheahan? How do they all fit in next year? I don't know how many more years Tatar can stay down in Grand Rapids. Then we have Jarnkrok and Pulu coming over in a couple of years maybe Jurco as well.

What about Tatar, Andersson and Sheahan? How do they all fit in next year? I don't know how many more years Tatar can stay down in Grand Rapids. Then we have Jarnkrok and Pulu coming over in a couple of years maybe Jurco as well.

Sheahan will be up and down next year with injuries because of his size. Prolly up full time in 2 years or earlier if his scoring touch appears. Andersson is same story but less potential upside. Tatar will plug in for top 6 injuries. Only way tatar is up next season is if we trade roster players cause we already have so many.

The best fit for the Wings needs is Parise and Prust. Sign Suter if possible. Any other potential signings do not hold the value these 3 do.

THIS. Parise and prust are the perfect fit imo. If possible grab these guys fast. Suter would be nice but not as likely.

yeah i believe this is going to be Tatar's 3rd season down in grand rapids i think it's about time for him to be up full time like Nyquist, he has the talent. We just have too many players so there's not a chance for him unless an injury. I do think Sheahan will be good for us in a couple years he's a big body we could use. Just needs to develop and put on some weight i would say.

I see the glass half full most of the time....but Imo we don't land parise or Soooter! Hoping for some additions that can keep the flys off and wear down opponets.

I don't think we were too far away this year...injuries! I know its lame excuse but this seasons Team when healthy Could beat anytome on the ice and if healthy I would have felt great going up against anyone for 7 games.

With that being said, some sensible additions will round us out wonderfully, definately take a few homerun swings on Prust, Suter, Parise but not the end of the Wings if we dont land one.

Interesting thoughts from an article by Elliot Freidman:

18. I'm curious to see if Detroit makes Valtteri Filppula available. Before the Nashville series, Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock had a heart-to-heart with him, saying he'd had a great year, but a strong post-season performance was needed. While linemate Henrik Zetterberg was very good, Filppula had just two assists in five games.
17. Detroit is interesting. Rivals think the Red Wings will be very proactive. You can't mention them without hearing, "They're going to be bidding for [Ryan] Suter and Parise." Teams are uncertain about spending because of the looming CBA, but even if the cap drops to $55 million (for argument's sake), they are in a decent spot. Their best prospects, aside from Brendan Smith and maybe Gustav Nyquist, are a couple years away.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/04/luongo-trade-talk-30-thoughts.html

Also some tidbits about Lidstrom in there as well.

I have thought this for a while but I would like to see Filppula packaged with some pieces for that power forward we so desperately need. Question is, what power forwards are available other than Nash?

I'm considering turning what would, I assure you, be several thoughtful replies (to plopster, Dangler et al.) into a new, uber-thoughtful thread.

Sounds good. As long as you don't have Parise/Suter in the thread title cause there's too many similar threads and people here are getting annoyed...other than that, can't wait for the insight.

I have thought this for a while but I would like to see Filppula packaged with some pieces for that power forward we so desperately need. Question is, what power forwards are available other than Nash?

How would you feel about moving Filppula for Jordan Staal? They've had similar point production through their careers but Staal is a more gritty style to Filpulla's finesse.

How would you feel about moving Filppula for Jordan Staal? They've had similar point production through their careers but Staal is a more gritty style to Filpulla's finesse.

Stall would be great but I highly doubt it would ever happen. However, a more realistic option could be Brandon Dubinsky, and if the Rangers can't finish off the Sens maybe they will make some changes.

I think everyone would take Staal on their team but I don't see how that trade would make sense for the Pens. PITT would be looking to move Staal only if they see it as impossible to re-sign him at the end of next season when his current contract is set to expire. Filppula's contract is also set to expire next summer. Now, granted Staal will probably get a higher priced contract than Filppula but if the Pens and Wings were to make that exchange the difference between Filppula's and Staal's new contracts wouldn't be enough for PITT to really go for it.

I think everyone would take Staal on their team but I don't see how that trade would make sense for the Pens. PITT would be looking to move Staal only if they see it as impossible to re-sign him at the end of next season when his current contract is set to expire. Filppula's contract is also set to expire next summer. Now, granted Staal will probably get a higher priced contract than Filppula but if the Pens and Wings were to make that exchange the difference between Filppula's and Staal's new contracts wouldn't be enough for PITT to really go for it.

I don't know that Pitt would want that trade either, but I do know there aren't high expectations for their 3 center system going forward, especially with the speculation that Staal wants to center a top-two line, and not the third. I dont know that they can afford all three guys. Flip plays wing as effectively as he does center and would be a solid playmaker for Malkin, and an effective center should Crosby get injured again.

Like you mentioned, though, it doesn't provide much Cap relief on their part, and while their top six may look better rounded, they still need serious help on th back end.

I