LeonardSankar

What's Kenny Holland's Offseason Plan?

Rate this topic

According to Jimmy D, Holland's off-season plan will be as follows:

1. Get bigger and tougher to play against

2. Add a scorer

3. Add a defensemen

4. Upgrade the back-up goalie position

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/05/wed_like_to_get_a_bit_bigger_a.html

"Certainly we'd like to get a bit bigger and a little tougher. We'd like to get a little bigger size-wise and a little tougher. We really prefer tougher players who can play the game, not just somebody who can play two-three minutes and fight.

Encouraging read. You've got to feel like there will be intense pressure from the top down for Holland to work his balls off this summer.

Edited by rick zombo

Milan Lucic, go?

You never know. With the way he and the Bruins struggled in the 1st round, they might be willing to make changes.

With Jimmy D's comments though, I fully expect to see a couple Travis Moen/Gregory Campbell types signed. Guys that can scrap, PK and pot a few goals.

Milan Lucic, go?

I always thought this guy was awesome. I don't know what it would take to get boson to give him up though. I think he is exactly the kind of player the Wings need right now.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Ok Jimmy...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m)

Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Zenon Konopka ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($1.500m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Ryan Suter ($7.000m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Matt Carkner ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Josh Harding ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,550,379; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $449,621

Edited by Hatethedrake!

According to Jimmy D, Holland's off-season plan will be as follows:

1. Get bigger and tougher to play against

2. Add a scorer

3. Add a defensemen

4. Upgrade the back-up goalie position

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/05/wed_like_to_get_a_bit_bigger_a.html

Encouraging read. You've got to feel like there will be intense pressure from the top down for Holland to work his balls off this summer.

Sounds promising but seriously, how many times have we heard "get bigger and tougher" only to see half-assed attempts at it like bringing in Brad May's little ass or bringing Abby up from the minors. I'll be excited when I see something more than lip service from the Wings brass.

esteef

Ok Jimmy...

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

DEFENSEMEN

Matt Carkner ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Josh Harding ($1.500m)

------

Looks good. Might want to keep Bertuzzi.

Moen - Konopka - Bertuzzi

FORWARDS

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Zach Parise ($6.500m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / David Jones ($2.750m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Darren Helm ($1.200m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($6.500m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m)/Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.350m)/ Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Josh Harding ($1.000m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,533,379; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,466,621

I also left left space under the cap in case it takes more to sign some of the UFAs so the posters who automatically assume Parise/Suter will sign for absurd contracts don't jump down my throat.

Ok Jimmy...

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Matt Carkner ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Josh Harding ($1.500m)

------

Problem with this is that you're assuming Parise takes a million dollars less per year just to come here. I don't see that happening. And I think were Parise goes, Suter goes. That's the ***** of it; and we know Kenny Holland won't pony up the dough that other teams will.

FORWARDS

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Zach Parise ($6.500m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / David Jones ($2.750m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Darren Helm ($1.200m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($6.500m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m)/Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.350m)/ Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Josh Harding ($1.000m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,533,379; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,466,621

I also left left space under the cap in case it takes more to sign some of the UFAs so the posters who automatically assume Parise/Suter will sign for absurd contracts don't jump down my throat.

Parise and Suter will not take 6.5. It just won't happen.

How do you think a front-loaded long term deal works?

First of all, love the name/picture. Tombstone.. Great movie. Secondly, I think he'll get a 5-6 year deal with 7-8 Million throughout. He'll be 34 at the end of his new deal if he signs a six year contract.. No need to front load it, especially for teams who will have a lot of cap space in the years to come.

Problem with this is that you're assuming Parise takes a million dollars less per year just to come here. I don't see that happening. And I think were Parise goes, Suter goes. That's the ***** of it; and we know Kenny Holland won't pony up the dough that other teams will.

Parise and Suter will not take 6.5. It just won't happen.

I love how posters like you express your opinion as though it is fact. You may be of the opinion that it will take $7.5-8M/yr to get each of Suter and Parise and that's fine, but that doesn't mean that is what will happen. It also doesn't mean that an opinion of it taking $6.5-7/yr (which both the poster before me and I had especially if you read the whole post) to get each of them is wrong.

I love how posters like you express your opinion as though it is fact. You may be of the opinion that it will take $7.5-8M/yr to get each of Suter and Parise and that's fine, but that doesn't mean that is what will happen. It also doesn't mean that an opinion of it taking $6.5-7/yr (which both the poster before me and I had especially if you read the whole post) to get each of them is wrong.

Why the hell would Zach Parise take 6.5 Million?? He makes 6 Million right now and that was generous of him to take that little. He's an elite talent and this FA class is thin at best. To think he won't get at least 7 is crazy.

Why the hell would Zach Parise take 6.5 Million??

To be a key part of a killer roster that looks poised to win the Cup in 2013?

Mind you, I don't think he'll end up settling for 6.5. But, well, you asked why he might do it.

To be a key part of a killer roster that looks poised to win the Cup in 2013?

Mind you, I don't think he'll end up settling for 6.5. But, well, you asked why he might do it.

Yeah I can't possibly see him settling for so little. Especially because your opinion and my opinion of the roster are different. You see a killer roster, a see a roster that will have to claw to make the playoffs next year let alone contend for a cup. We just have too many old players and a lack of stellar NHL ready prospects with which to replace them like we did last time around. We still have a couple years of possible contention but in 2-3 years we're going to drop out of contention and we're going to have to rebuild through the draft.

Yeah I can't possibly see him settling for so little. Especially because your opinion and my opinion of the roster are different. You see a killer roster, a see a roster that will have to claw to make the playoffs next year let alone contend for a cup. We just have too many old players and a lack of stellar NHL ready prospects with which to replace them like we did last time around. We still have a couple years of possible contention but in 2-3 years we're going to drop out of contention and we're going to have to rebuild through the draft.

We add one top 6 player and we are back in Stanley Cup contention.

You are way too pessimistic about the Wings 2-3 years down the road when there will be a lot of chances to make changes to the roster. This year especially.

I wasn't referring to our roster. If I was, it's a roster with the likes of Suter, Prust, and Lucic.

Agreed.

I gotta be honest here...The Wings have been on a steady decline these past few years...UFA's will take notice, and for some - the grass may look alot greener elsewhere.

Good to see there are still some knowledgeable hockey fans out there that realize the team is aging and declining. We're going to have to rebuild in 2 or 3 years when Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't producing much anymore and Lids is gone. Dislike my comments all you want but it's the reality and I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan who isn't afraid to be realistic.

I wasn't referring to our roster. If I was, it's a roster with the likes of Suter, Prust, and Lucic.

My mistake. And yeah.. Those would be fantastic additions but you actually have to get them. Getting them all is close to impossible, getting two is unlikely and getting even one is going to be no easy task especially if we're talking Suter. He's going to have a ton of teams after him.

We add one top 6 player and we are back in Stanley Cup contention.

You are way too pessimistic about the Wings 2-3 years down the road when there will be a lot of chances to make changes to the roster. This year especially.

Adding one single top 6 forward is not suddenly going to make us a cup team. With all do respect, that's just absurd.

I'm not pessimistic, I'm realistic. It's not like I don't want the Wings to win now but the reality is this: Declining on ice product/aging core of players + average prospect pool = time to rebuild soon. That's how it works in every pro sport. At least some variation of it.