• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

What's Kenny Holland's Offseason Plan?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Yeah and it was only 13 percent of all players. That's all well and good, and of course Detroit is a good destination.. But it isn't the one and only place. And it looks like a lot of those votes are based on history alone which is why Toronto and Montreal made the list I assume because they are terrible right now. History and tradition are great things to have but when you're not winning and you're franchise clearly is not built for the future.. You're going to have a tough time attracting top guys who can go anywhere they want. Especially if they get offered more money there.

You can have your head in the clouds about all these prospects and think that UFA's are destined to come here all you want but it's going to be a cold slap in the face this summer when none of it materializes.

Thank goodness we've got you around to protect us from our own hopes.

Parise

Penner

Prust

Konopka

Wideman

Do-able, $$$-wise? (Too lazy to do the math myself. Apologies.)

A big :thumbup: for Parise, Prust, Wideman.

Penner doesn't interest me much, and Konopka is just a flat out goon who will put us on the PK more than we'd like. I like the idea of Prust because he will put up a decent amount of points on top of grinding, hitting, and fighting. Konopka offers no scoring depth whatsoever, he might get lucky with a small handful of assists but that's about it. I'm more into guys like Prust, Neil, Clutterbuck who can contribute offensively on top of being rough and intimidating.

Hartnell, Backes or Marchand would be ideal adds if it were even a possibility, which it isn't.

Penner doesn't interest me much, and Konopka is just a flat out goon who will put us on the PK more than we'd like. I like the idea of Prust because he will put up a decent amount of points on top of grinding, hitting, and fighting. Konopka offers no scoring depth whatsoever, he might get lucky with a small handful of assists but that's about it. I'm more into guys like Prust, Neil, Clutterbuck who can contribute offensively on top of being rough and intimidating.

Hartnell, Backes or Marchand would be ideal adds if it were even a possibility, which it isn't.

I'm not so keen on Penner myself, but...6'4, doesn't adequately utilize his frame, underachiever - though was once a force...the prototypical Detroit Red Wings power-forward. Point being, I can see Holland signing him. (To be fair, it's hard to argue with his size. And he does have good hands. And he's having a pretty good run right now.)

I'm not sure why I listed Konopka. Brain fart on my part, honest.

So -

Parise

Penner

Prust

Wideman

I don't see us signing both Parise and Suter. I don't know why so many of us are treating it like a done deal. No GM who isn't named Ken Holland wants to see the Wings pick up this summer's two marquee men. The Universe will not allow it, IMHO.

Konopka's face-off percentage is top 6 in the entire league during the regular season and top 2 in the playoffs. He'd instantly be our best face-off option.

If NJ beats Philly in this series there might not be any Parise FA sweepstakes as it is. I'm of the belief that they (the Devils) will have a hard time signing him to the kind of contract he will demand and just convincing him to stay there in general when the ownership thing is going down the tubes fast. But certainly getting to the conference finals would make it a little more difficult to leave NJ so quickly. So.. Lets go Philly

Konopka's a center who hits,fights,skates,wins face-offs(70% vs.Rangers :ph34r: ),plays hard and brings experience.

All that for cca. $1mil.

Meaning we won't get him.

We've had opportunities to get him and others like him before. Holland and company don't like these kinds of players. Whether they can contribute offensively or not, we just don't sign guys like Konopka. It's pretty sad.

Yeah and it was only 13 percent of all players. That's all well and good, and of course Detroit is a good destination.. But it isn't the one and only place. And it looks like a lot of those votes are based on history alone which is why Toronto and Montreal made the list I assume because they are terrible right now. History and tradition are great things to have but when you're not winning and you're franchise clearly is not built for the future.. You're going to have a tough time attracting top guys who can go anywhere they want. Especially if they get offered more money there.

You can have your head in the clouds about all these prospects and think that UFA's are destined to come here all you want but it's going to be a cold slap in the face this summer when none of it materializes.

This is why nobody cant take you seriously. You are making it seem like people wanting to get Suter and/or Parise is them assuming they are going to come here because it is simply Detroit. Nobody believes that.

And last time I checked, the Wings CAN offer more money than anyone else without hurting their roster. They have a lot of room to retool and make themselves better.

This is why nobody cant take you seriously. You are making it seem like people wanting to get Suter and/or Parise is them assuming they are going to come here because it is simply Detroit. Nobody believes that.

And last time I checked, the Wings CAN offer more money than anyone else without hurting their roster. They have a lot of room to retool and make themselves better.

Clearly you haven't read this and other threads all the way through. There have been several people claiming that Suter and Parise are locks to come here. And even more people who have put up future rosters including the two of them.

The Wings CAN offer AS MUCH as anyone but not more.. There are plenty of teams with 18-20 mil in cap space that will make offers. And my point is that Ken Holland never overpays for players so why would he start now? I know they are going to go hard after Parise and Suter but what happens when other teams offer Parise 8-8.5 Mil? You think Holland will go that high? No chance. Same deal with Suter. The only reason you dislike my opinion is because I don't agree with you and others who think that both of the most sought after FA's in this years class are both going to land here.

Edited by centcougar07

Clearly you haven't read this and other threads all the way through. There have been several people claiming that Suter and Parise are locks to come here. And even more people who have put up future rosters including the two of them.

You are way over exaggerating.

The Wings CAN offer AS MUCH as anyone but not more.. There are plenty of teams with 18-20 mil in cap space that will make offers. And my point is that Ken Holland never overpays for players so why would he start now? I know they are going to go hard after Parise and Suter but what happens when other teams offer Parise 8-8.5 Mil? You think Holland will go that high? No chance. Same deal with Suter. The only reason you dislike my opinion is because I don't agree with you and others who think that both of the most sought after FA's in this years class are both going to land here.

Most teams can't spend as much and ice a full roster of players, not to mention stay competitive.

Also, no way Parise and Suter command that much in free agency.

You are way over exaggerating.

Most teams can't spend as much and ice a full roster of players, not to mention stay competitive.

Also, no way Parise and Suter command that much in free agency.

Perhaps a little. But not as much as you think.

And Parise and Suter may not command that much, but they sure as hell will be offered that much by at least a couple teams IMO. That's what happens when you mix a lot of desperate teams with a thin FA class.

Perhaps a little. But not as much as you think.

And Parise and Suter may not command that much, but they sure as hell will be offered that much by at least a couple teams IMO. That's what happens when you mix a lot of desperate teams with a thin FA class.

I sincerely doubt that.

And even if they don't nab those two, they still have cap space to improve the roster in other ways. They are the ideal situation, but it isn't over if either or both of those two come here.

I sincerely doubt that.

And even if they don't nab those two, they still have cap space to improve the roster in other ways. They are the ideal situation, but it isn't over if either or both of those two come here.

Agreed. I have said that I'm not a fan of the prospect pool, I think it's pretty shallow and pretty average IMO.. But I think there are ways we could swing a deal for a top end scorer with a package of prospects/picks/current players in a way that could work out well for both teams. Will Ken Holland do that when/if we miss out on Parise and Suter? I don't know. I suppose we'll find out after July 1

Do you guys think that with the emergence of OEL phx would be willing to trade gormley or murphy for forward talent? They currently have yandle, OEL, gormley, murphy, summers all as very good young guys and the last 3 arent even in the nhl. I could see one of them being moved for help at forward next season as their blueline will get crowded very soon. Thoughts?

Babs says probably no trades. I think if we're gonna see a trade, we're gonna have to come up really short in the FA hunt, and it'll have to be perfect, something that falls right into Holland's lap and requires next to no creativity or imagination or work or risk or saying goodbye to a roster player or.........

Babs says probably no trades. I think if we're gonna see a trade, we're gonna have to come up really short in the FA hunt, and it'll have to be perfect, something that falls right into Holland's lap and requires next to no creativity or imagination or work or risk or saying goodbye to a roster player or.........

Lol so true. Some gm will have to ask holland to please take a star player of his hands for picks and mid prospects...

To be fair, we're pretty short on sexy assets. I mean, there's Flip...and there's Franzen and his ridiculous contract...so, basically, there's Flip....

Like you said - picks and middle-of-the-road prospects. mehhhh

to be fair we have some very sexy prospects however. Look at Jurco tearing it up and oulette just to name 2. of course there are many more like jarnkrok, pulks, sproul etc. These players would hold lots of value to many teams. Its just that we know holland will never trade them. I mean he'd trade like ferraro, andersson, emmerton but these are all fringe guys. if he isn't willing to trade roster players or top prospects then we are screwed as far as acquiring nhl proven talent outside of ufas.

to be fair we have some very sexy prospects however.

True. But, like you said, he won't part with them. Wasn't it just a day or two ago that he was quoted as saying our prospect pool is the key to our future success, or some facepalm s*** like that?

meeehhhhhhhhh