• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

What's Kenny Holland's Offseason Plan?

Rate this topic

Sproul and Ouellet are as close as stud dman in the making as you can find outside of the top 10 picks in the draft. Both have size and put up great offensive numbers. I'd bet both of these guys will crack the top 6 within the next 4-5 years.

To think that Jarnkrok and Jurco don't belong in the same sentence as pulks and tatar is crazy. Jarnkrok is for sure considered more of a sure thing than pulks and Jurco already has the size and skill to play in the nhl but needs time to develop properly into a top 6 player. Sheahan is iffy for me. Not sure if he will develop into a top 6 player just because he doesn't have the scoring touch i'd expect at the collegiate level (not enough games in AHL yet to see).

I don't buy into Jarnkrok being a top prospect. I think he is a second line center at best in the NHL and probably a third liner with decent offensive skills. He's definitely more of a playmaker. He's a little bit undersized and I just have a hunch that he will be a 3rd liner in the NHL. If he surprises me he could be a second liner. Jurco is playing in the Q with Saint John on a line with Coyle and Phillips (usually) and those two are putting up ridiculous numbers (Coyle: 15-17 in 15 games, Phillips: 8-21 in 15) but Jurco only has 10-12 in 14 (playoff stats only here). Obviously those aren't bad numbers but we all know numbers in the Q are inflated a little and I would argue that if Jurco wasn't playing with such high end talent his numbers wouldn't be nearly as high. That being said he is a good player but still probable a second liner in the NHL.

Knocks on him for me is showing a consistent effort and hockey sense

On a different note, I REALLY hope Holland signs Jeremy Welsh to a contract for GR. He is 23 and 6'3" 200lbs. He could, along with Sheahan, become a force in the NHL in a year or two. I also am still hoping the Holland inks DeKeyser as well.

Sheahan/Welsh

Smith/Dekeyser

All playing together 5 years from now in their primes...NICE!

to bracket any of our prospects as 'Elite ' is wrong from the start. We haven't had a pick in the top #10 since getting Marty Lapointe with the 10th overall pick in '91, which is a year alot of fans on here can't even remember!!

Its a bonus when any of our picks are top 6 material with where we are currently drafting. To expect anything more is being rather unrealistic in my view.

We could have a few potential top 6 players within 2-3 years within our current crop of prospects. We should really be delighted that we get any so called elite guys with our drafting position.

Calle Jarnkrok is listed at 6'0" and 176lbs another 15-20lb gain and he'll be ok for the NHL;

A very skilled center that will get the job done on the wing as well. Järnkrok's main asset is his outstanding hockey sense, which allows him to be the great playmaker that he is. Overall a very smart player with good positioning in all zones. Also quite shifty with soft hands and impressive puckhandling skills. Not a physical player, but plays pretty well through heavy traffic although in need of gaining strength and muscles. Good character. Often used as pointman on the man advantage, but can still improve his release. Is a good skater, but there is still some room for improvement in that department.

I don't buy into Jarnkrok being a top prospect. I think he is a second line center at best in the NHL and probably a third liner with decent offensive skills. He's definitely more of a playmaker. He's a little bit undersized and I just have a hunch that he will be a 3rd liner in the NHL. If he surprises me he could be a second liner. Jurco is playing in the Q with Saint John on a line with Coyle and Phillips (usually) and those two are putting up ridiculous numbers (Coyle: 15-17 in 15 games, Phillips: 8-21 in 15) but Jurco only has 10-12 in 14 (playoff stats only here). Obviously those aren't bad numbers but we all know numbers in the Q are inflated a little and I would argue that if Jurco wasn't playing with such high end talent his numbers wouldn't be nearly as high. That being said he is a good player but still probable a second liner in the NHL.

Knocks on him for me is showing a consistent effort and hockey sense

for the games i watched jurco wasn't on that line - only cause huberdeau is out. he played with gauthier, who is also good but still. regardless, jarnkrok is the same height as zetterberg and datsyuk so you can stop overblowing that and he has time to put on a good 15 pounds. He is playing over nyquist at the WC and is 4th in scoring in the SEL at age 20.

A very skilled center that will get the job done on the wing as well. Järnkrok's main asset is his outstanding hockey sense, which allows him to be the great playmaker that he is. Overall a very smart player with good positioning in all zones. Also quite shifty with soft hands and impressive puckhandling skills. Not a physical player, but plays pretty well through heavy traffic although in need of gaining strength and muscles. Good character.

So I was thinking last night.

So I thought to myself, "You know what the Wings need? More skill! And more shifty puckhandling wizardry! And don't we have enough physical grunts already? I think so! Why not give the non-physical, undersized package a chance for once, eh? And character! You can never have enough character on your roster!"

:hehe:

for the games i watched jurco wasn't on that line - only cause huberdeau is out. he played with gauthier, who is also good but still. regardless, jarnkrok is the same height as zetterberg and datsyuk so you can stop overblowing that and he has time to put on a good 15 pounds. He is playing over nyquist at the WC and is 4th in scoring in the SEL at age 20.

He's got a good portion of his playoff points on a line with those two. I think he plays with them occasionally and Huberdeau occasionally. His height is okay. But he NEEDS to add more weight, he'll get pushed off the puck so easily by the average NHL defenseman because he's so lanky. But then you have to worry about him possibly losing a step as far as skating ability goes and/or the possibility that his already questionable work-ethic gets worse. He's also got to become more of a student of the game. His hockey sense on the ice is less than admirable as well; every once in a while i'll see him trying to play Pavel Datsyuk and dangle into the zone and then lose the puck resulting in an odd man rush the other way. His defensive game could use a little work but that's the least of his worries really. That will improve a lot with more coaching and just learning better positioning. He does posses some pretty nice hands and good on ice vision. But he has A LOT of work to do before he'll be making any kind of positive impact to an NHL team.

Guest Hatethedrake!

So I was thinking last night.

So I thought to myself, "You know what the Wings need? More skill! And more shifty puckhandling wizardry! And don't we have enough physical grunts already? I think so! Why not give the non-physical, undersized package a chance for once, eh? And character! You can never have enough character on your roster!"

:hehe:

Ken Holland: Hey Zach? Sorry, we are not signing you. We have decided to sign Travis Moen instead because he is a physical grunt and gives us more size. You just do not fit our needs. Best of luck and thank you for your interest in the Detroit Red Wings. We really like our team.

Yeah I'm sure Kenny is going in with THIS attitude. :rolleyes:

Ken Holland: Hey Zach? Sorry, we are not signing you. We have decided to sign Travis Moen instead because he is a physical grunt and gives us more size. You just do not fit our needs. Best of luck and thank you for your interest in the Detroit Red Wings. We really like our team.

Yeah I'm sure Kenny is going in with THIS attitude. :rolleyes:

1. I was joking around (see emoticon at the bottom of the message).

2. Parise is not Jarnkrok. In fact, Parise is not anyone in the Wings' system - and I mean that in more than one way.

3. http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic/72479-suter-most-likely-out-of-nashville/page__view__findpost__p__2300336

On a different note, I REALLY hope Holland signs Jeremy Welsh to a contract for GR. He is 23 and 6'3" 200lbs. He could, along with Sheahan, become a force in the NHL in a year or two. I also am still hoping the Holland inks DeKeyser as well.

Sheahan/Welsh

Smith/Dekeyser

All playing together 5 years from now in their primes...NICE!

I'd be very happy if Holland managed to add either of those two to GR. I think it all depends on who earns a contract this summer. As it stands the Wings have 37 people on the list towards the 50 contract limit (but that doesn't include any of our RFA or UFAs. Tvrdon and Quine are up for contract and will likely play in the AHL instead of an over-age year in junior. I'm not sure what the status is for GR's team next year but we have the following as of now:

GR UFAs (non-prospects):

Excelby (D)

Janik (D)

Brunnstrom (F)

Conner (F)

Minard (F)

Johnson (F)

GR RFAs (prospects):

Ehrhardt (D) <-- will likely get another contract at a cheap price to play in GR

Pyett (D) <-- may get another contract to stay in GR as depth or may be let go, his development seems to have stalled at an AHL level

So the Wings have a nice number of contracts to play with.

Ouellet and Sproul both have their entry level contracts so it's a lock that they'll be in GR next year. Don't forget that Mrazek signed his entry level contract as well so he'll be in GR. I'm betting one of McCullom or Pierce will be traded at some point depending on how Mrazek's season in GR starts (both are RFAs next summer). Almqvist is on his entry level deal next year as well so he'll be in GR for sure.

GR UFAs (non-prospects):

Excelby (D)

Janik (D)

Brunnstrom (F)

Conner (F)

Minard (F)

Johnson (F)

GR RFAs (prospects):

Ehrhardt (D) <-- will likely get another contract at a cheap price to play in GR

Pyett (D) <-- may get another contract to stay in GR as depth or may be let go, his development seems to have stalled at an AHL level

I say:

Exelby - Keep him for GR if he wants to stay.

Janik - Keep him for GR if he wants to stay.

Brunnstrom - Keep him for GR if he wants to stay but I bet he'll understandably want more in Europe.

Conner - Keep him for GR if he wants to stay.

Minard - Good finish to the season but look to upgrade. Should be like a Plan J or K.

Johnson - Decent season but look to upgrade. Again, should be like a Plan J or K.

Ehrhardt - Meh. A Brett Lebda at best.

Pyett - He sucks. Tell him to f*** off, haha.

Plus I don't think Ouellet and Sproul are old enough to play in the AHL yet.

I say:

Exelby - Keep him for GR if he wants to stay.

Janik - Keep him for GR if he wants to stay.

Brunnstrom - Keep him for GR if he wants to stay but I bet he'll understandably want more in Europe.

Conner - Keep him for GR if he wants to stay.

Minard - Good finish to the season but look to upgrade. Should be like a Plan J or K.

Johnson - Decent season but look to upgrade. Again, should be like a Plan J or K.

Ehrhardt - Meh. A Brett Lebda at best.

Pyett - He sucks. Tell him to f*** off, haha.

Plus I don't think Ouellet and Sproul are old enough to play in the AHL yet.

I'm not sure if they're eligible. I tossed the question out to Sproul on twitter... we'll see what happens. Both got their entry level contracts but are slide eligible (meaning if they don't play 10 NHL games in the first season of the contract it slides back another year without counting towards the 3 contract years). I know Holland's stated that the intention is to play Jurco in GR this season, so hopefully he can live up to expectations and tear things up! Almqvist is definitely in GR this coming season as well (again according to a Jimmy D interview). Sounds like Quine is returning to jr for another year, though.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Plans will be formed on how to engage in free agency come July 1; the Wings will be "aggressive," Holland said, regardless of what Lidstrom does. Most certainly those plans will include pursuing defenseman Ryan Suter, if he hasn't been re-signed by Nashville.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120510/SPORTS05/205100573/1053/sports05

I certainly hope it's Suter then everyone else...IMO Suter is priority #1 UFA to get signed here. The rest, including Lidstrom are secondary...

Alright, I'm going to try a different tact with you this time around, so I'm going to propose two questions to you that I've been wondering about since you began your advocacy for Suter (and Parise, but I don't want to deal with him here).

1. What is it about Ryan Suter or his game that makes you want him so badly?

2. What is the maximum that you would pay for Ryan Suter to get him on this team?

Edited by kipwinger

Alright, I'm going to try a different tact with you this time around, so I'm going to propose two questions to you that I've been wondering about since you began your advocacy for Suter (and Parise, but I don't want to deal with him here).

1. What is it about Ryan Suter or his game that makes you want him so badly?

2. What is the maximum that you would pay for Ryan Suter to get him on this team?

I feel, and it is just my opinion, that Ryan Suter is the closest thing we can acquire to having anyone near the talent of Lidstrom. He is better than any of our current defensemen that are under contract. As for salary, I think $7.5M would be what I would top out at. Like I said, I am sure he will get plenty of offers that are over and above that amount and it'll be up to him to sign with a contender (whether it's Detroit or not) or make the max in Columbus. Now if a contender offer's him $9M, then that is fine too. I think my max would be $7.5M, if not then there are other, not so talented options out there too. LA right now, is proving that you don't really need that high dollar defender to win, so if no Suter, then maybe a couple of $4M B class hard working defensemen that aren't named Quincey...

edit: Sorry, just checked and I didn't know Doughty was at $7M per season, guess that theory was wrong! :lol: But honestly, now knowing that he is only at $7M, $7.5M should be plenty to get Suter signed...but to add to that theory, the Rags highest paid D man is less than $4M and it isn't hurting them!

Edited by LeftWinger

Ok, here's another one.

3. Do you think Ryan Suter is one of the ten best defensemen in the league?

added: and if you do, what makes you say so?

Maybe...but with Lids at or near the end, he is definitely near the top if not the top available defender's right now. I just think that right now, this team doesn't have that one D man that will take over... But like I said, I am sure there can be a couple of D-men signed for less that could cover the loss of Lidstrom too...

...and with all the talk about Suter/Parise, I think it is more important to solidify the D before the O...It's a more crucial position and obviously the Red Wings wouldn't have been nowhere near as consistent without Lidstrom for the past 20 years...

Edited by LeftWinger

You know, considering how thin this UFA pool is, and looking at next summer's pool...I won't be surprised if Holland sits on his hands, does just about nothing.

That's what I'm saying, but I actually think it's a good thing. I REALLY don't want to see the Wings overspend on Suter given that I think depth in the top six is more of a problem, and the fact that Parise is a better forward than Suter is a defenseman. If we're going to be forced to overspend in a bidding war, I'd rather it be Parise. Defensively, I think we could make a couple of acquisitions that would help us out alot and not force us to overspend.

Contingent on Lidstrom coming back, Quincey re-signing, and Stuart leaving I'd like to see this...

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Bryan Allen

Ericsson-Quincey

Smith

or if Quincey doesn't come back then this...

Lidstrom-Carle

Kronwall-Brian Allen

Ericsson-White

Smith

I really like Allen as a replacement for Stuart, they play a similar game and have similar skating ability, but Allen is bigger and stronger. I also like Carle in if Quincey doesn't want to stay, as he's got good offensive instincts, is bigger than White for the top pairing role, skates well, and can play big minutes.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Johnz96

You know, considering how thin this UFA pool is, and looking at next summer's pool...I won't be surprised if Holland sits on his hands, does just about nothing.

I would rather he did than overpay for anybody or gets somebody just because we have cap space. Scoring is a strength for us more than anything we need to get bigger and tougher and there are not any UFAs this year that can provide either and actually play hockey while there should be a some available next year

I would rather he did than overpay for anybody or gets somebody just because we have cap space. Scoring is a strength for us more than anything we need to get bigger and tougher and there are not any UFAs this year that can provide either and actually play hockey while there should be a some available next year

In an effort to get "bigger and tougher" who do you think we should get, and who do you think we should get rid of?

I'm not sure if they're eligible. I tossed the question out to Sproul on twitter... we'll see what happens. Both got their entry level contracts but are slide eligible (meaning if they don't play 10 NHL games in the first season of the contract it slides back another year without counting towards the 3 contract years). I know Holland's stated that the intention is to play Jurco in GR this season, so hopefully he can live up to expectations and tear things up! Almqvist is definitely in GR this coming season as well (again according to a Jimmy D interview). Sounds like Quine is returning to jr for another year, though.

For guys coming out of the CHL, they must be 20 years of age, or have played 4 years of junior hockey in order to make the jump full time (although, they can sign those ATO contracts and finish the year in the AHL). You're right about Jurco and Almqvist making the jump, though. I'm very interested to see how Jurco does next season.