"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#242 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

I think that our winning tradition in the past made us an enviable place to come and play, so much that players may take a 'discount' to be a Red Wing. I mean let's be honest, the city is not an attraction, nor is the Joe Louis. Unfortunately, that winning tradition has taken a bit of a hit lately with the early exits from playoffs. So now the only way is if Holland throws a lot of money at players. Seriously, why would Suter want to come if he is offered something with Nashville or Parise? I think players like that only comes to play in Detroit if they are offered more $$. Thoughts?

Edited by RedWingsRox, 21 April 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#243 plopster

plopster

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Why is Emmerton on the second line?

fixed it

I think that our winning tradition in the past made us an enviable place to come and play, so much that players may take a 'discount' to be a Red Wing. I mean let's be honest, the city is not an attraction, nor is the Joe Louis. Unfortunately, that winning tradition has taken a bit of a hit lately with the early exits from playoffs. So now the only way is if Holland throws a lot of money at players. Seriously, why would Suter want to come if he is offered something with Nashville or Parise? I think players like that only comes to play in Detroit if they are offered more $. Thoughts?

I think to get Suter, Holland would have to get Arnott and Parise or similar talent, and drop the dead weight like cleary or hudler, then go to Suter and say heres what we have to done to improve, here is what we want to offer you because we really want you to come play for us because you will help us win a cup.
mccarty3

#244 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

I think to get Suter, Holland would have to get Arnott and Parise or similar talent, and drop the dead weight like cleary or hudler, then go to Suter and say heres what we have to done to improve, here is what we want to offer you because we really want you to come play for us because you will help us win a cup.

Except when July 1st 9:00 am comes, you've got to go after them all .. at once.

#245 plopster

plopster

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Except when July 1st 9:00 am comes, you've got to go after them all .. at once.

well I would imagine that there is some embellishing going on when those calls are made about what moves have gone through...
mccarty3

#246 WingNut 25

WingNut 25

Minister of Defense - Red Wings Nation West

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

This team needs more grit and speed on the bottom 2 lines.

#247 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

Parise - Dats - Morrow (I think he's a FA)
Bert/Clarkson - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Moen/Bert - Flip - Eaves
Miller - Helm - Rupp/Gaustad
Abdelakder

Lids - Schenn (for Franzen)
Kronwall - White
Quincey - McQuaid
Smith
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#248 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

This team needs more grit and speed on the bottom 2 lines.

How about some wingers that give a crap.

I am happy that Babs said what he said in the post game interview.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 21 April 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#249 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

I am happy that Babs said what he said in the post game interview.

I agree. It was right time to send the message to Kenny. What will be Kenny's next move??? Lilja and Sammy for the 2nd tour? :(
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#250 Diluvian04

Diluvian04

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

We have close to $21 million to get some players. If Lidstrom comes back, expect to pay him between 5 and 6 million. Suter is gonna get $6 million on the open market and Parise is gonna command upwards of 7 to 7.5 million based on the inflated salaries last year. We still need to pay Quincey, Helm, and Abdelkader. Even at best case scenario this would be hard to work in.

Lidstrom - $5 Million

Suter - $6 Million

Parise - 7 Million

Helm - $2 Million

Abdelkader - $1 Million

Quincey - $3 Million

Total - $24 Million

One of two things have to happen. Salary cap increase and/or trade someone. The chances at getting other people in addition are slim to none. Trades need to happen in my opinion because the CBA is an unsure thing and noone knows if the cap will go up or down.
Although a great player its sad that we have a 42 year old as our best Defensman, Lidsrom or not our future is a little scary unless we pick someone up.
Anyone who thinks Parise won't get that much is dreaming. If Lidstrom comes back go after Parise hard and hopefully Suter. If he retires pull out the check book.

#251 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

The more people talk about Parise and Suter the less I think we'll actually get them.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#252 Diluvian04

Diluvian04

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

The more people talk about Parise and Suter the less I think we'll actually get them.

esteef

I feel the same way. I have hope that we will get a pretty good D if not Suter someone like Carle or Wideman and at F if not Parise someone like P-A Parenteau who is a pretty damn good player.

#253 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

esteef

There are going to be a lot of disappointment around here come July 1st I can tell you that.

I say we don't get either of them. Kenny needs to get creative and make this team better VIA trade.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#254 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Allowing for UFAs to leave and bringing in no one else besides our RFAs, our roster looks something like this next year:

Franzen - Dats - Cleary
Filppula - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Miller - Helm - Bertuzzi
Abdelkader - Emmerton - Mursak/Eaves

Kronwall - White
Quincey - Ericcson
Kindl - Smith

Howard
Joey Joe Joe

I don't know Holland's off season plans, but it seems clear to me where upgrades would be desirable to complement the existing players and provide depth:

Defensive D-men (to provide stability for offensive ability / defensive liability of existing d-men):
- Ideal: fantasy options like Suter would be nice
- More realistic: might include Cory Sarich or Greg Zanon. Komisarek could be available for cheap, but would be risky.
- further depth in potential UFAs: BUF's Sulzer, S Hannan, C Stoner, P Harrold, J Woywitka, K Huskins, A Rome

Heavy lifters upfront (to play a role like Hartnell or Burrows on the top lines, like Homer used to do and Bert tries to do)
- Ideal: someone who can play this role in the top 6 such as Rick Nash, Chris Stewart
- Also potentially valuable: a true fourth line centre with size, such as Gaustad or Zenon Konopka
- Other potential UFAs that might be play good secondary roles: David Jones, Adam Burish, Colin Fraser, Steve Bernier, Travis Moen, Brandon Yip, Brandon Prust, Taylor Pyatt, Daniel Winnik, Torrey Mitchell, Jim Slater. Depth: Chris Durno, Adam Hall

Back up goalie:
- I like Joey Mac but his back is a concern. Lots of options here among "young vets" like UFAs Biron, Clemmensen, Leighton, Niittymaki or younger, like Harding or even Gustavsson (another gamble if the price was right). Not to mention the oldies like Turco, Vokoun, Hasek...etc...but I've been trying to conider players who will help this team get younger

Guess we'll wait and see who is available in the marketplace! Happy off-season...

#255 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

You are all forgetting, he said he would most likely be done when Lids retires.

Lids said he wanted to retire when he didn't feel up to hockey anymore.

Lids played like a player not up to hockey anymore, and had his ice time go down and while I AM NOT SUGGESTING HE PLAYED POORLY, he did seem less interested than in other years.

I think he won't play next year, and I hope I am wrong.

If he doesn't, it is quite possible Nill is in charge next year.

This whole thread could be null in void.

esteef

Also, why would Suter and Parise choose to come here? Nashville just proved to be better than us. There are other teams out there that have promise. s***, I think I would go to Edmonton if I were them before Detroit.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#256 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

I think if Suter were to sign in detroit, we would have to get Parise first. Detroit with parise puts them over nashville IMO. Parise is just great, love the way he plays.

#257 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

At this point we have more chances to sign Parise than Suter (due to Parise recent comments about Red Wings).

#258 WingNut 25

WingNut 25

Minister of Defense - Red Wings Nation West

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Lidstrom disinterested? Wow that's a dumb observation. The guy was getting cortisone injections before games. He was basically playing with 1 leg. He was clearly hampered and far from 100%.

I think Parise is a very real option. Suter is gonna get $8 million/year from someone. If Lidstrom returns, which I don't believe he will, Holland needs to get realistic and offer him a $2 million base. This $6-7 mill/year BS is only hurting the club.

What were Zach's recent comments on the Wings? Just curious as I hadn't heard them.

#259 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

http://www.mlive.com...ed_wings_9.html

http://www.toutsurlehockey.com/12082/rumeurs/de/transactions/tslh/NJD/2012-04-08/zach-parise-aurait-il-une-preference-pour-les-red-wings-de-detroit!/

#260 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Parise over Suter, if that's what it comes to. We need offense to help Zetterberg and Datsyuk. If Lidstrom does retire, it MAY be possible to sign both Parise and Suter, but I wouldn't bank on it. Which ever big name player we do or don't get (we sorely need one), the overall depth at forward needs to improve drastically. Someone to win faceoffs. More physical, grinding players.