• Please log in to reply
567 replies to this topic

#401 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

How would you feel about moving Filppula for Jordan Staal? They've had similar point production through their careers but Staal is a more gritty style to Filpulla's finesse.

Stall would be great but I highly doubt it would ever happen. However, a more realistic option could be Brandon Dubinsky, and if the Rangers can't finish off the Sens maybe they will make some changes.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#402 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

How would you feel about moving Filppula for Jordan Staal? They've had similar point production through their careers but Staal is a more gritty style to Filpulla's finesse.

I think everyone would take Staal on their team but I don't see how that trade would make sense for the Pens. PITT would be looking to move Staal only if they see it as impossible to re-sign him at the end of next season when his current contract is set to expire. Filppula's contract is also set to expire next summer. Now, granted Staal will probably get a higher priced contract than Filppula but if the Pens and Wings were to make that exchange the difference between Filppula's and Staal's new contracts wouldn't be enough for PITT to really go for it.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#403 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Decent idea, don't see the pens doing it though.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Parise
Nyquist-Staal-Franzen

:yowza:

#NOMOREKINDL

#404 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

I think everyone would take Staal on their team but I don't see how that trade would make sense for the Pens. PITT would be looking to move Staal only if they see it as impossible to re-sign him at the end of next season when his current contract is set to expire. Filppula's contract is also set to expire next summer. Now, granted Staal will probably get a higher priced contract than Filppula but if the Pens and Wings were to make that exchange the difference between Filppula's and Staal's new contracts wouldn't be enough for PITT to really go for it.

I don't know that Pitt would want that trade either, but I do know there aren't high expectations for their 3 center system going forward, especially with the speculation that Staal wants to center a top-two line, and not the third. I dont know that they can afford all three guys. Flip plays wing as effectively as he does center and would be a solid playmaker for Malkin, and an effective center should Crosby get injured again.
Like you mentioned, though, it doesn't provide much Cap relief on their part, and while their top six may look better rounded, they still need serious help on th back end.
I

#405 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

If we are talking about Filppula, what about packaging him and Franzen to Anaheim for Perry? Would that be enough? Would you have to throw in Mursak? I am all for ANY trade getting Franzen the "F" out of Detroit...

Geesh, where's "The Realist" when you need him to tell me what's gonna happen and what would work and not be over or under payment?

(for the record, I am not advocating trading Filppula, but if a package gets someone like Perry or Nash in return, then ok)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#406 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

If we are talking about Filppula, what about packaging him and Franzen to Anaheim for Perry? Would that be enough? Would you have to throw in Mursak? I am all for ANY trade getting Franzen the "F" out of Detroit...

Geesh, where's "The Realist" when you need him to tell me what's gonna happen and what would work and not be over or under payment?

(for the record, I am not advocating trading Filppula, but if a package gets someone like Perry or Nash in return, then ok)

Anaheim will not trade Perry. Especially not to Detroit.

Posted Image

#407 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

Anaheim will not trade Perry. Especially not to Detroit.

Ya, I agree, but I don't think trading Filppula alone is going to get Detroit a great player, the other side of the sword is if Franzen is added in, then you would expect someone of Nash's or Perry's caliber in return...dunno, just keep them both and hope Franzen decides he wants to actually play someday.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#408 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Ya, I agree, but I don't think trading Filppula alone is going to get Detroit a great player, the other side of the sword is if Franzen is added in, then you would expect someone of Nash's or Perry's caliber in return...dunno, just keep them both and hope Franzen decides he wants to actually play someday.

Yeah, I guess we will be stuck with his 25-30 goals in the meantime and the cap space to sign another top 6 player.

Posted Image

#409 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Yeah, I guess we will be stuck with his 25-30 goals in the meantime and the cap space to sign another top 6 player.

I am just tired of his disappearing act. I guess if they actually land Parise and Franzen still nets 30 goals, it'll be ok, but I really need him to convince me he is for real again, especially come playoff time. I know he isn't really worried about what I think personally, but I would hope that he does care what his fans think about him, good or bad...he already said he doesn't care too much about the regular season. I really hope this changes, because I know (despite me trading him all over the forum) he will be a Red Wing next year and beyond and I hope he changes back into pre-serious contract Franzen...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#410 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

I am just tired of his disappearing act. I guess if they actually land Parise and Franzen still nets 30 goals, it'll be ok, but I really need him to convince me he is for real again, especially come playoff time. I know he isn't really worried about what I think personally, but I would hope that he does care what his fans think about him, good or bad...he already said he doesn't care too much about the regular season. I really hope this changes, because I know (despite me trading him all over the forum) he will be a Red Wing next year and beyond and I hope he changes back into pre-serious contract Franzen...

We just forget that Franzen broke out when Datsyuk and Zetterberg potted 90+ points and the team was stacked like no other. Now that it is basically a less elite Datsyuk, a top 6 but not elite Zetterberg (arguably), Franzen, and Filpulla to lead the team on offense, his mistakes on the offensive end are magnified.

If Detroit signs Parise our top 6 players get a lot more space to do what they want. The only reason the second line with Zetterberg and Filppula worked was because Fil broke out in a way most of us probably weren't expecting.

Detroit does need a top sixer, though.

Posted Image

#411 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

wow, I think you've already made it abundantly clear you want Franzen out. Way to hijack another thread.

In reference to what you said about Franzen I wouldnt be against it if it brought in the right player. To me, I would want someone other than Perry.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#412 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

wow, I think you've already made it abundantly clear you want Franzen out. Way to hijack another thread.

In reference to what you said about Franzen I wouldnt be against it if it brought in the right player. To me, I would want someone other than Perry.

Hijack a thread asking what we think Holland should do this offseason, by saying Holland should trade Franzen this offseason? That's what you call a hijack? You probably believe a man in cave planned 9/11 too...

EDIT: Not like saying what I think Holland should do is off subject, but okay...

...anyhow, for the right player, yes, trade Franzen. It's just seems some "Realists" have a differing opinion of Franzen's worth and nobody else's opinion matters if they disagree. It's obvious I would not miss Franzen, but its not like he doesn't disappear half the season anyway. But I know he won't be traded...

Edited by LeftWinger, 25 April 2012 - 04:54 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#413 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hijack a thread asking what we think Holland should do this offseason, by saying Holland should trade Franzen this offseason? That's what you call a hijack? You probably believe a man in cave planned 9/11 too...

EDIT: Not like saying what I think Holland should do is off subject, but okay...

...anyhow, for the right player, yes, trade Franzen. It's just seems some "Realists" have a differing opinion of Franzen's worth and nobody else's opinion matters if they disagree. It's obvious I would not miss Franzen, but its not like he doesn't disappear half the season anyway. But I know he won't be traded...

:lol:

You are right. It was probably Johan Franzen.

Posted Image

#414 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

2 minor trades that we should be making are Steve MacIntyre LW lhs and Hugh Jessiman RW rhs. The mins we give our 4th line we may as well have a couple of guys to keep the flies off as Babs says. Jessiman can actually play a bit and Mac would keep the opposing teams 'honest' ! With young Sheahan as the centre. That would be a nice big 4th line that could play 7-8 mins a game i would say.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#415 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 789 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

Kenny should help Hudler to find a new team. Maybe a kindergarten hockey team or similar. Hudler should leave Detroit permanently ! Must not resign with the Wings.

#416 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Freep Article today says if Lidstrom comes back he may bring Holmstrom with him. :blink:

...and here we go. Nick and Homer re-sign, for whatever they want because Holland rewards loyalty instead of according to waning talent. Homer should retire and Lidstrom should tell Holland he will play one more year for a salary of whatever it takes to make this team super again...

http://www.freep.com...tomas-holmstrom

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#417 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Sounds good. As long as you don't have Parise/Suter in the thread title cause there's too many similar threads and people here are getting annoyed...other than that, can't wait for the insight.

Well, if it does come to fruition, I'll try not to disappoint!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#418 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Staal was really good for the Pens against Philly. He was professional, hard-working. He did his job, didn't get sucked into the bulls***. Point being, no way do the Pens move him. (But then, I think the Wings could land Perry. So what do I know?)

[grainofsalt]I'm hearing whispers re: the captaincy. Specifically, that Crosby may try to redeem himself, or whatever, by giving the C to someone else - and not one of his alternates....[/grainofsalt]

Don't Toews me, bro!

#419 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,043 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Freep Article today says if Lidstrom comes back he may bring Holmstrom with him. :blink:

...and here we go. Nick and Homer re-sign, for whatever they want because Holland rewards loyalty instead of according to waning talent. Homer should retire and Lidstrom should tell Holland he will play one more year for a salary of whatever it takes to make this team super again...

http://www.freep.com...tomas-holmstrom

I think that's just Helen St. James looking for an angle for the story. There's no quote from Lidstrom that implies that, just the one from Babs that asks the question.

And from the mlive article about roughly the same topic, there's this quote from Lidstrom regarding Homer's retirement.

Lidstrom, who also has yet to decide what the future holds for him, said he hasn't discussed the possibility of him and Holmstrom retiring at the same time.
"I don't think that will have any bearing on my decision," Lidstrom said. "I'm not sure Homer knows what he's going to do."

http://www.mlive.com...ure_with_r.html

#420 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

I think that's just Helen St. James looking for an angle for the story. There's no quote from Lidstrom that implies that, just the one from Babs that asks the question.

FWIW, Pav said the same thing in one of his interviews with the Russian writer who works for Puck Daddy. On some level it does make sense since they're such good friends and they've played together for so long.

I'd actually be curious to see how many goals they've combined for where Lidstrom was the primary assist maker. Chances are that goal was probably Lidstrom shooting the puck intentionally wide so that Homer could stick his dick out to deflect it. Yeah I said it.