567 replies to this topic

#501 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

I sincerely doubt that.

And even if they don't nab those two, they still have cap space to improve the roster in other ways. They are the ideal situation, but it isn't over if either or both of those two come here.

Agreed. I have said that I'm not a fan of the prospect pool, I think it's pretty shallow and pretty average IMO.. But I think there are ways we could swing a deal for a top end scorer with a package of prospects/picks/current players in a way that could work out well for both teams. Will Ken Holland do that when/if we miss out on Parise and Suter? I don't know. I suppose we'll find out after July 1

#502 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Do you guys think that with the emergence of OEL phx would be willing to trade gormley or murphy for forward talent? They currently have yandle, OEL, gormley, murphy, summers all as very good young guys and the last 3 arent even in the nhl. I could see one of them being moved for help at forward next season as their blueline will get crowded very soon. Thoughts?

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#503 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:40 AM

Babs says probably no trades. I think if we're gonna see a trade, we're gonna have to come up really short in the FA hunt, and it'll have to be perfect, something that falls right into Holland's lap and requires next to no creativity or imagination or work or risk or saying goodbye to a roster player or.........

Don't Toews me, bro!

#504 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Babs says probably no trades. I think if we're gonna see a trade, we're gonna have to come up really short in the FA hunt, and it'll have to be perfect, something that falls right into Holland's lap and requires next to no creativity or imagination or work or risk or saying goodbye to a roster player or.........

Lol so true. Some gm will have to ask holland to please take a star player of his hands for picks and mid prospects...

#505 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

To be fair, we're pretty short on sexy assets. I mean, there's Flip...and there's Franzen and his ridiculous contract...so, basically, there's Flip....

Like you said - picks and middle-of-the-road prospects. mehhhh

Don't Toews me, bro!

#506 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

To be fair, we're pretty short on sexy assets. I mean, there's Flip...and there's Franzen and his ridiculous contract...so, basically, there's Flip....

Like you said - picks and middle-of-the-road prospects. mehhhh

to be fair we have some very sexy prospects however. Look at Jurco tearing it up and oulette just to name 2. of course there are many more like jarnkrok, pulks, sproul etc. These players would hold lots of value to many teams. Its just that we know holland will never trade them. I mean he'd trade like ferraro, andersson, emmerton but these are all fringe guys. if he isn't willing to trade roster players or top prospects then we are screwed as far as acquiring nhl proven talent outside of ufas.

#507 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Matt Martin you heard it here first!
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#508 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

to be fair we have some very sexy prospects however.

True. But, like you said, he won't part with them. Wasn't it just a day or two ago that he was quoted as saying our prospect pool is the key to our future success, or some facepalm s*** like that?

meeehhhhhhhhh

Don't Toews me, bro!

#509 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

Do you guys think that with the emergence of OEL phx would be willing to trade gormley or murphy for forward talent? They currently have yandle, OEL, gormley, murphy, summers all as very good young guys and the last 3 arent even in the nhl. I could see one of them being moved for help at forward next season as their blueline will get crowded very soon. Thoughts?

Edmonton is crying for defensive help and has a #1 pick in June to offer up. If I'm Phoenix's GM, that's my first call.

#510 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:37 AM

Also, no way Parise and Suter command that much in free agency.

Really?

Did anyone predict Ericsson's payday last summer?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#511 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

Really?

Did anyone predict Ericsson's payday last summer?

That was a panic move made in house to make sure Ericsson didn't make it to free agency and so he wouldn't lose a young defenseman for nothing. Besides, I don't think that he has been that overpaid based on how he played this season.

Posted Image

#512 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

Matt Martin you heard it here first!

Think the Isles would do Kindl for Martin straight up?
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#513 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

We can throw in Emmerton or Mursak as well.

#514 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Martin would be amazing for the Wings. However, IMO he is the type of player that has an extremely high 'team value'. That is, like Helm, he would require a lopsided trade (not necessarily a large overpayment) to acquire. With that said, a package of Mule+Kindl for Martin+(good prospect, high picks) may be right value-wise.

#515 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

We should start to turn our focus to getting younger and lining the prospect pool with more talent and high end assets. IMO, we should be starting to get younger and definitely not trade away any picks. We don't have a ton of prospects that I would consider untouchable. Minus Jurco, Nyquist, and Smith, considering they are the closest thing we have to top prospects. If we start to get younger now it will lessen the blow in 2-3 years when we're really going to have to look at rebuilding.

#516 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

We should start to turn our focus to getting younger and lining the prospect pool with more talent and high end assets. IMO, we should be starting to get younger and definitely not trade away any picks. We don't have a ton of prospects that I would consider untouchable. Minus Jurco, Nyquist, and Smith, considering they are the closest thing we have to top prospects. If we start to get younger now it will lessen the blow in 2-3 years when we're really going to have to look at rebuilding.

I'd definitely add Jarnkrok to that list. He's the best prospect we have IMO.

And the Wings don't rebuild, they reload.

#517 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

That was a panic move made in house to make sure Ericsson didn't make it to free agency and so he wouldn't lose a young defenseman for nothing. Besides, I don't think that he has been that overpaid based on how he played this season.

Fair enough - however I too share the opinion with others here that both Suter, and Parise stand a good chance to get more than what they may be worth.

Draft day, UFA, and a new CBA all make for an interesting summer.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#518 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

True. But, like you said, he won't part with them. Wasn't it just a day or two ago that he was quoted as saying our prospect pool is the key to our future success, or some facepalm s*** like that?

meeehhhhhhhhh

Check your calendar dude. Drafting and internal growth are the only way to success in the post-cap era.

I'd definitely add Jarnkrok to that list. He's the best prospect we have IMO.

And the Wings don't rebuild, they reload.

The only guys ahead of Jarnkrok are Smith and Nyquist and that's arguably because they're farther ahead on the development curve. Ironhook is one hell of kid. I can't wait to see what he can do with NHL size and some time in NA under his belt.

Add Mrazek to the stud list as well. Anyone who doubts him definitely didn't watch the World Juniors this year.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#519 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

If the Wings don't hit the jackpot and sign Parise and/or Suter, then they're better off waiting until the trade deadline, which is deeper than usual, and just adding pieces at that point.

The Wings need to add a top 3 forward and a top 2 defenseman to remain competitive. No exceptions.

Edited by FunkedUp, 07 May 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#520 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

If the Wings don't hit the jackpot and sign Parise and/or Suter, then they're better off waiting until the trade deadline, which is deeper than usual, and just adding pieces at that point.

The Wings need to add a top 3 forward and a top 2 defenseman to remain competitive. No exceptions.

There's no way to determine the depth of the trade deadline pool until the deadline is near.