• Please log in to reply
567 replies to this topic

#101 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

This is going to be his most important off season in a very long time. He needs to hit on a top 4 defenseman, and a top 6 forward. I don't really have much in mind, all I know is this team in it's current state just won't be able to get it done.

Edited by Carman, 18 April 2012 - 12:01 AM.

#102 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

What do you think the chances are of adding Jordan Staal? I could see him being traded, he's a 2nd line player playing on the 3rd line. His cap hit is 4 mil and with crosby and malkin getting raises in 1 and 2 years they likely won't have the cap space for a 4 mil/yr 3rd liner. especially when you consider the work that needs to be done to their defense so they don't allow 20 goals in 3 games again next season.

Getting Staal allows you to play Z-D-Bert on the 1st line and Flip-Staal-Franzen on the 2nd line. Staal is a horse so Franzen can float around and do nothing still. Also, Staal instantly makes your PK better.

Is he a UFA or are you talking trade?

#103 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

Mr Ilitch isn't going to stand for this crap much longer, he'll be calling Kenny and Co into the office Sat morning
for some heart to heart's!!

Holland now is probably re-visiting all those so called trades he had in mind, this team needs a bonafide goalscorer
badly, the shots we have put on net is unreal for the return weve had in goals. Now just imagine if that old goat Hull
had have had 20% of those, this series would be over!

Edited by Andy Pred 48, 18 April 2012 - 12:13 AM.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#104 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

Jason Woolley anyone?

bringit.jpg

#105 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

Is he a UFA or are you talking trade?

Trade, next season is his contract year. If I'm the pens, I'd listen to some trade offers since they can't afford to resign him in 2013, at least not in my mind.

#106 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

Trade, next season is his contract year. If I'm the pens, I'd listen to some trade offers since they can't afford to resign him in 2013, at least not in my mind.

Yes I'd be willing to trade for Staal, I just don't see the Pens willing to trade with us.

#107 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

This team is boned. Holland resigned Bert which was a huge mistake as he has done nothing but that so called fight against Weber. Franzen is useless and for being this big time playoff guy has done squat in the last 2 playoffs. If Lids leaves this team becomes seriously mediocre and I doubt Holland will be able to get anyone like Suter or Parise as any FA would obviously see the ship is sinking. Making the playoffs is meaningless if you just squander you opportunities not only at the end of the regular season but then in the playoffs. This team needs kids that have passion like many other teams have. All these old guys they keep resigning will get them no where.

When the Predators scored the first goal tonight I wanted to hang myself for recording this game and staying up late to watch the Wings fail to finish for 2 periods and then hand the Predators the game...again even though I know that is par for the course.

#108 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

Add a top line scorer, then increase the size and nastiness of the bottom six. guys like prust, martin neil. The bottom six needs an identity, something it does very well, not this mishmash of players who suck, and do nothing overly well. Please bring in guys who will hit the hell out people, grind along the boards, inflict some pain on the other team. Our fourth line has becaome a ground for spare parts, not the true fourth line guys who actually bring one great aspect to the table!

Ahhh we do have those guys and their names are Helm and Eaves :blink: and unfortunately they are hurt.

#109 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

Just throwing out a crazy idea, with the extra cap space we already have, a couple players with $2 mil contracts coming off the books, Lidstrom possibly retiring, the salary cap most likely going up again, what are the odds the Wings go after a big name like Iginla, Nash, Bobby Ryan or heck even Ovechkin? The first three are supposed to be on the move this summer and Ovechkin's value is the lowest its ever been, plus, I really think he needs to get on a different team since he appears to have worn out his welcome in Washington. Yeah, he has a HUGE salary, but all those factors I listed with players leaving, the cap going up... I think we could absorb that contract better than most teams. Just a thought. It sure would be nice to a have a bona fide goal scorer in the lineup.

#110 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

The real s***ty thing isn't knowing Holland is going to do a damn thing, except sign some tired ass over the hill 3/4 liner and try to present him as the solution to our scoring touch(ala Modano) and probably some ex Red Wing (Sammy/WIlliams/Quincey) then give us some buls*** excuse about how he likes this team. f*** him for believing in his own hype!
The asking price was too? ***** you supposedly have a top 10 prospect pool and $6 million dollars, we won't see 95% of these prospects for another 10 years, so shut the f*** up and have the balls to make af****** move for someone we can see.

Edited by ben_usmc, 18 April 2012 - 07:37 AM.

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#111 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

Bring in Chris Stewart!!!!! He was a healthy scratch the other day for S.L. and is a RFA, we can probably get him on the cheap since his fall from grace. This dude a beast and everything we want in Detroit, that would be step 1.

#112 wingsfan_indian

wingsfan_indian

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

Print copies of wings play book from Scotty years and hand it over to new asst. coaches

#113 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

The only thing is, what do we get in return for trading Franzen? A lot of people complain about Hudler, but I think Semin has a questionable work ethic, as well.

Do the Leafs have anything worthwhile? They seem to like taking on and handing out bad contracts.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#114 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

Do the Leafs have anything worthwhile? They seem to like taking on and handing out bad contracts.

I'm game for a straight-up trade of Franzen for Schenn.

Holland wouldn't even consider it though.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#115 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

I'm game for a straight-up trade of Franzen for Schenn.

Holland wouldn't even consider it though.

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. What does Schenn make?

#116 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

Holland will golf and will ice another decent skilled, regular season team. Vanilla. He needed to begin changing the team two years ago. The re-tooling days are over. He needs to do much more. I honestly don't think he has it in him. He will survive this year, but I bet he is a GM somewhere else by the beginning of the 14 15 season. Put a fork in him. He deserves a little bit of the sharp end of the stick. He built this one dimensional, well intended team. Get your clubs out! We will all have more time to golf for the next few years.

#117 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Fire himself :ph34r:
IPB Image

#118 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Bring in Chris Stewart!!!!! He was a healthy scratch the other day for S.L. and is a RFA, we can probably get him on the cheap since his fall from grace. This dude a beast and everything we want in Detroit, that would be step 1.

I wanted Chris Stewart so badly but despite his RFA status there is no way STL lets him go (let alone to their division rival).
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#119 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

Mr Ilitch isn't going to stand for this crap much longer, he'll be calling Kenny and Co into the office Sat morning
for some heart to heart's!!

Holland now is probably re-visiting all those so called trades he had in mind, this team needs a bonafide goalscorer
badly, the shots we have put on net is unreal for the return weve had in goals. Now just imagine if that old goat Hull
had have had 20% of those, this series would be over!

Mr Illitch is much more concerned with getting the Tigers a World Series then the Wings a cup, he has even said this.

I wanted Chris Stewart so badly but despite his RFA status there is no way STL lets him go (let alone to their division rival).

Pull another Yzerman, hell maybe we could even convince Yzerman to Mule while we are at it

#120 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

As much as I like Stewart I think a more realistic player the Wings should look at is David Jones from Colorado. Obviously we all want Parise but I think Jones would be perfect for a 3rd line spot. Next season I'd love to see a 3rd line of Jones - Helm - Franzen

This would be sweet (assuming the worst happens) with bertuzzi and jones being interchangeable:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Zach Parise ($6.500m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / David Jones ($2.750m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Darren Helm ($1.200m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.250m) / Ryan Suter ($6.500m)
Ian White ($2.875m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,708,712; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $408,712

also, yes I realize it's slightly over the cap

Edited by mmamolo, 18 April 2012 - 10:29 AM.

Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca