• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nightfall

Stand behind your Wings!

Rate this topic

:siren: Its playoff time. :siren:

Thats right Red Wings fans. Its the most wonderful time of the year for hockey fans. I am calling for all Wings fans to rally together and support their team. This is the team that was #1 in the NHL before the rash of injuries hampered the team. This was the team that won 23 consecutive home games in a row this season. This is also the team that is going to contend for the Stanley Cup for the 21st season in a row.

If you are a negative Nancy or a Wings "fan" that sees the team bowing out in five or six games, please do not apply.

I am calling for all fans of this team to stand up and stand behind their team. We have enjoyed the four cups in the last fifteen years, and we support this organizations decision making. We also support the players, even if they make mistakes. After all, mistakes are all part of being human. In the end, no matter what, win or lose, we support this team and the organization.

Stand behind your Wings as we embark on this playoff journey. Foster positive discussions without bailing on your team. Do not be afraid to constructively criticize the team either, but keep your remarks away from the "Wings are done" comments.

Its time! Drop the puck!

Edited by Nightfall

In my honest opinion. I think the Wings have a good chance at winning it all. Realistically, any team in the playoffs does and it's only a matter of playing well at the right times. We have at times the best top 6 in the game and if they start firing on all cylinders, nobody can stop them. It's going to be tough and they NEED to stay healthy during the entire run but by no means is it out of the question. It's going to boil down to how bad this team wants it. How bad they want to possibly send Lids out on top and I'll be there the whole way cheering them on and believing until the end. And if they don't get it done, I'll just say 2013 Stanley Cup Champions sounds better anyways :hehe: LGW!!!

I love the contradictions in the original post.

We should stand behind the decision making of the organization and players, yet we shouldn't be afraid to criticize the team or the players.

Okie dokie. :rolleyes:

Big difference to constructive criticism and asshat criticism while bailing on the team. You, of all people, should know that difference by now. :D

I was hoping for another "how to be a real fan" discussion. Because anyone that doesn't think a 5th seeded Red Wings team that is scuffling into the playoffs can win it all isn't worthy to be a part of the fan base.

Look, I'm all for supporting the team and always will be. I will attend the games and cheer on the Red Wings like always. That being said, you can be a realist and still be a loyal fan. I don't think the Red Wings are built to win the Stanley Cup this season. They probably have a shot if literally everything goes in their favor. If that makes me a negative nancy or a lesser fan to those that judge this type of thing, then that comes with the territory.

Everyone has an opinion and the great thing about LGW is being able to discuss that including differing ideas. I don't want to come here and read nonstop about blind support for the Red Wings. I don't care if there are fans that predict the Wings to win it all -- you're entitled to that -- but just remember so is everyone else that disagrees.

Best time of the year is finally here. Go Red Wings!

Edited by GoWings1905

personally, i am fine with people being negative if they really feel the wings dont have a shot. there are unfortunately many posters that just seem to hate everything and they ruin any chance for legit conversation. there are also many posters that come off as fan boi's, so to me, the opinions all balance out eventually...

with that said, here is why i am excited:

despite all the injuries, only a handful of teams won more games than det. their 48 wins are 3 behind the leaders that had 51. only 2 teams in the west had more wins and stl was only 1 win ahead of us. to act like there is a big difference in us and the top seeds is silly.

along those same lines is goal differential. only 3 teams bested the wings +45 as we were tied with stl in 4th. the two best teams for differential are in the east, so vancouver being only 6 goals better once again indicates that the west is a very winnable conference for the wings.

goals against average. everyone that talks about this first round series loves to talk about how amazing rinne is. well sure hes a good goalie, but guess who was 6th in the league in gaa? jimmy howard. thats right, rinne was 8 spots lower at a little over a quarter of a goal per game more than jimmy. as i mentioned in the round 1 thread, lots of people are forgetting that the wings gave up less goals this season even though conklin was crap for many of his dozen or so games and negatively impacted the goals allowed.

goalie wear and tear. while jimmys groin is a bit scary, he is in a better position for a strong playoff run. stats have shown that outside of brodeur, most goalies cannot play in over 70 games and win a cup. because of howards injuries he is primed for a good run. additionally as far as the first round is concerned, no one faced more shots than rinne and no one played in more games. so can he hold up?

sure lots of things scare me about this team as it certainly has been an up and down year, but those are some reasons to be excited and optimistic that we can make a run. though looking ahead a bit, i hope that the yotes can make it through as i would prefer to not play stl in the 2nd round. their goaltending is great and that has always been the wings kryptonite in the playoffs... but i am trying not to get too ahead of myself!

Best time of the year, no doubt. Perhaps being an underdog ( most " experts" are picking us to lose to Nashville in the 1st round) so....flying under the radar may work to our advantage.

Anything can happen...as hockey fans, we have seen it time and again.

Let's go Red Wings!!!! I want to still be cheering in June!

honestly if you add a healthy helm and add eaves (for PK especially) to the mix I'd really feel confident of going far but helm isn't 100% and eaves won't be back. I still cheer 150% for the wings every night but its crazy to just ignorantly call ourselves the favourite or anything - thats not what fans are supposed to do.

I was hoping for another "how to be a real fan" discussion. Because anyone that doesn't think a 5th seeded Red Wings team that is scuffling into the playoffs can win it all isn't worthy to be a part of the fan base.

Look, I'm all for supporting the team and always will be. I will attend the games and cheer on the Red Wings like always. That being said, you can be a realist and still be a loyal fan. I don't think the Red Wings are built to win the Stanley Cup this season. They probably have a shot if literally everything goes in their favor. If that makes me a negative nancy or a lesser fan to those that judge this type of thing, then that comes with the territory.

Everyone has an opinion and the great thing about LGW is being able to dicuss that with everyone. I don't want to come here and read nonstop about blind support for the Red Wings. I don't care if there are fans that predict the Wings to win it all -- you're entitled to that -- but just remember so is everyone else that disagrees.

Well if this team plays like they did early on and in the middle of the season they are damn near unstoppable. Defense has been much improved this year. It seems like goal scoring is an issue, and puck possession needs to improve. They have the tools, they CAN win.

I think the new Asst. coaches aren't bringing as much to the table as we hoped. Their new PP approach worked well in the beginning of the season, but has dropped off BIG time.

If the bottom 2 lines can pick up the scoring like they did earlier in the season, PP starts to work (even just a little), and possession time increases then the Wings can hang with anyone.

People forget that "fan" is derived from the word "fanatic" meaning : "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". A term which, lately, is used negatively when we talk about terrorists. i.e.: religious fanatic. My Point? now think about what terrorists do for their "team".

Me, as of right now, I'm committing my unwavering optimistic support from now until the end of June. I really do think we can make it to finals..

Here's how: our boys would love nothing more that a short travel schedule and we're not going to have to play one series outside of the central conference.

1st round: Wings over Preds.

Stl over SJ

Chicago over Phx

Van over La

2nd round. Wings over Stl (who are battered from a long tilt over SJ)

Chicago over Van (hawks have done it before)

3rd round Wings over Chi town. (no problem there, chicago is just a half ass version of the wings)

That's how it's going to go down. Bank on itthumbup.gif

Everyone has an opinion and the great thing about LGW is being able to dicuss that with everyone. I don't want to come here and read nonstop about blind support for the Red Wings. I don't care if there are fans that predict the Wings to win it all -- you're entitled to that -- but just remember so is everyone else that disagrees.

Pretty much it. I'm the last thing from being a person that goes ZOMG PLAYER ABC sucks and ZOMG PLAYER XYZ is worthless or just obsessively hates players or panics like the sky is falling and I'm going to kill myself and this team is beyond repair. That's beyond aggravating like the poster below you said. However the holier than thou people aggravate me just as much if you can't be even a shred of negative in a realistic way like you said.

Can the Wings advance this series? Yes they can.

Do I think they will? No.

Do I want them to prove me wrong? Without question.

Does any of this above make me any less of a fan? No, and nobody better suggest to me otherwise because I don't want to hear it and you are likely going to be full of b.s.

I'm going to watch every game rooting for them to pull through hoping that I am incorrect. And if I'm not, am I going to come on here and tell people I told you so? Absolutely not, that's not my style and it's pretty much acting like an a**hole there.

Hopefully the holier than thou cheerleaders on here will do the same if they win and advance - keeping their mouths shut and getting over any ego they might have.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

panic-button.jpg

Just keep pressing it, there's a chance it might work once ;)

Personally hockey is great, but, win or loss I stand behind my team.

Edited by Shaman464

As much as I am behind this post and understand your frustration with the people that are leaving the team for dead, I think the sheer fact of starting this thread is counterproductive to you original intent.

Everyone that takes offense to being called a negative nancy will be in here trying to explain their case even though you ask them not to.

I for one think the Wings got this round, I dunno how many itll take but I really do believe that the Wings go into a different mode of playing come playoff time. Im not particularly excited that Cleary has now admitted that he not only has a cyst but also has degenerative osteoarthritis. I had it after 6 surgeries from an impacted acetabulum (my thigh bone went through the hip bone, like jumping off a 4 story bulding and landing on your feet) sustained from a bad moto wreck. For one year, my bones werent healed enough to have a hip replacement and merely existed in the pain from the bone on bone movement. If he is that bad he needs to sit it out. I required pretty hefty doses of oxy just to walk. If he isnt taking anything and is even 20% of what I was he has no reason to play. This isnt a play through a mild fracture or any injury that can be heavily taped, this is a situation that every movement is affecting him and as such needs to go on LTIR.

Beyond that one I am confident the Wings are going to win.

Who can remember a time we have played the Preds and werent a little apprehensive about the match up? They are a tough team that likes to grind it out. Things havent changed much since the last time we took them out so this shouldnt be any different.

My best guess is we take it in 6, thats what we've beaten them by the last few times we played.

Oh and GO WINGS

As much as I am behind this post and understand your frustration with the people that are leaving the team for dead, I think the sheer fact of starting this thread is counterproductive to you original intent.

Everyone that takes offense to being called a negative nancy will be in here trying to explain their case even though you ask them not to.

I for one think the Wings got this round, I dunno how many itll take but I really do believe that the Wings go into a different mode of playing come playoff time. Im not particularly excited that Cleary has now admitted that he not only has a cyst but also has degenerative osteoarthritis. I had it after 6 surgeries from an impacted acetabulum (my thigh bone went through the hip bone, like jumping off a 4 story bulding and landing on your feet) sustained from a bad moto wreck. For one year, my bones werent healed enough to have a hip replacement and merely existed in the pain from the bone on bone movement. If he is that bad he needs to sit it out. I required pretty hefty doses of oxy just to walk. If he isnt taking anything and is even 20% of what I was he has no reason to play. This isnt a play through a mild fracture or any injury that can be heavily taped, this is a situation that every movement is affecting him and as such needs to go on LTIR.

Who can remember a time we have played the Preds and werent a little apprehensive about the match up? They are a tough team that likes to grind it out. Things havent changed much since the last time we took them out so this shouldnt be any different.

My best guess is we take it in 6, thats what we've beaten them by the last few times we played.

Oh and GO WINGS

Honestly, I can never remember the Wings looking so vulnerable going into the playoffs.

In 2002, this team played awful to end the season, but that team was loaded like none other. You had to know they'd win.

In 2010, we were a 5 seed, but had the best record in the league after the deadline from what I remember. And after destroying Phoenix in game 7, most people would have picked us to beat San Jose. Even last season, the team looked really strong sweeping Phoenix and it looked like they could handle the Sharks potentially.

But this team has fallen into the playoffs like no other Wings team I can remember. I don't know why anyone is surprised that so many people are not excited about our prospect of going far.

Link

ESPN - Stats say Wings poised for another cup.

EDIT: Can an insider share?

It's obvious that the 2011-12 Detroit Red Wings aren't as good the 2007-08 squad that won the Stanley Cup. I say this because this season's team doesn't exhibit the sheer dominance the Wings have shown in previous years. In fact, they finished third in their division. And they've won just five of their past 17 games.

But don't let this team fool you. The Red Wings have the characteristics of a Stanley Cup winner -- more so than any other club in NHL. But this time around, they aren't a juggernaut. They are strong but vulnerable.

Detroit finished atop the Playoff Power Meter, which ranks teams by how much they statistically resemble past Cup champions. For example, previous teams have shown that it's incredibly hard to win a Cup without scoring at least 2.8 goals per game or by allowing more than 2.6 goals per game. They've also shown that regular-season save percentage doesn't matter as much, while performance against top-eight NHL teams is the best indicator of a champion. (See the full explanation here.)

When the numbers were crunched for the 2012 playoffs, the Wings came out on top.

Now, it's tough for Wings fans to feel comfortable with this team because, when the Red Wings last won the Cup, they had a goal differential of 0.89 per game and shot differential of 10.9 per game. That's unheard of. This 2011-12 squad is less invincible, with a 0.48 goal differential and 5.2 shot differential. Most of the difference between the two clubs is on the defensive end, where the 2007-08 team allowed just 23.5 shots per game, which offset mediocre goaltending. This season, the Wings don't have that padding. They've allowed 27 shots per game, which is still very good, but it's not a huge cushion for goalie Jimmy Howard.

That said, what's most encouraging about this year's squad is its performance against the top eight teams in the league. The Red Wings have won 12 of 21 games, second-best in the NHL. They split the season series against the Nashville Predators, Vancouver Canucks and Philadelphia Flyers, and they won four of six against the St. Louis Blues. In short, they won't be overmatched in any series.

So who would they likely see in the finals? Let's take a look:

Eastern Conference champions: Pittsburgh Penguins

The Penguins finally got Sidney Crosby back and, in the meantime, held their spot in the power meter standings. They're scoring at an encouraging rate (3.33 goals per game) and getting plenty of shots on goal (33.9 per game), but the concern is on the defensive end. On one hand, the Penguins are allowing 2.66 goals per game, which is a bit too much for comfort; the power meter benchmark is set at 2.6 goals per game. On the other hand, this Pens team is better defensively than the 2008-09 squad that won the Stanley Cup.

In fact, that team allowed 2.84 goals per game and had a .906 save percentage and minus-1.3 shot differential. This makes the Penguins the only championship club to have a negative regular-season shot differential. So it might be an easier road to the Stanley Cup than last time, but goalie Marc-Andre Fleury and his defensemen will need to step up -- especially in Round 1 against the Flyers. The Pens have lost four of six against the Flyers, although they did beat the Flyers 4-2 in the season finale. Obviously this, and season series in general, is not a huge sample size, but they are the most recent results we have.

In the mix: Boston Bruins, Los Angeles Kings, Vancouver Canucks, New York Rangers

The Bruins were at the top of the power meter standings for a while and, despite some struggles along the way, met every major benchmark except one: record versus top-eight teams. They won just seven of 16 games, which is alarming on two fronts. First off, they've played the fewest games against the top teams in the league (tied with the Canucks), so they aren't the most tested club. Secondly, they lost to the Rangers and Penguins three out of four games.

The Kings sneak in here because despite major offensive issues -- 2.29 goals per game will be a problem -- goaltending is the great equalizer, especially against elite teams in the league. With much thanks to Jonathan Quick, the Kings have won 11 of 21 against the top-eight clubs. They might have a problem with the Red Wings, who have outscored the Kings 18-11 in four games, but Quick can keep them competitive against any other club.

The Canucks are much like the Bruins in that they've met every major benchmark, although their shot differential of 0.7 per game leaves a bit to be desired. They're tied with the Bruins in having the fewest number of games against the top eight teams in the league. They played the Rangers, Flyers and Penguins just once -- and lost all three games. The earliest they can see those teams is in the Stanley Cup finals. They did, however, split the season series against the Red Wings, so they could spoil Detroit's run.

Rangers fans are probably very unhappy to see their team anywhere but at the top of this list, especially after such a strong regular season. But there are some real weaknesses on this squad, almost entirely on offense. Scoring just 2.71 goals per game is simply not enough; the lowest-scoring championship team since the lockout was the 2010-11 Bruins, and they scored 2.98 goals per game in the regular season. As far as shots per game, 28.5 is uncomfortably low; the 2008-09 Penguins got away with 29 shots per game -- but they had Crosby, and the Rangers don't. All that said, this Rangers squad came alive against the top eight teams in the league. They won 14 of 20 games, sweeping the Flyers in six regular-season matches. The only team they might want to avoid is the Penguins, who beat the Rangers four times in six tries.

Needing a lucky bounce: Chicago Blackhawks, Philadelphia Flyers, St. Louis Blues, San Jose Sharks

For the Blackhawks, there's good news and bad news. The good: They played a whopping 27 games against the NHL's top eight teams, and they beat the Wings and Blues eight out of 12 games, including a shootout win in the season finale against the Wings. The bad: Their goal differential is 0.12 per game. Since the lockout, no team has won the Cup with such a low goal differential. The 2008-09 Penguins (0.3 per game) come the closest.

The Flyers' biggest problem is their record against the top teams in the league. They lost 14 of 22, although they won four of six against the Penguins, who are their first-round matchup. But if they run into the Rangers -- a potential second-round matchup -- it could be ugly. They lost all six of their games against the Blueshirts.

The Blues might not belong in the above category. The power meter doesn't know what to do with them because they're putting up unprecedented defensive numbers. They miss the benchmarks for goals per game and shots per game, but they met the defensive benchmarks by such a large margin that, if they win the Cup, they'll radically reshape the power meter formula going forward. That said, they've struggled as of late.

The Sharks don't quite score enough (2.67 goals per game), and their goal differential is just 0.16 per game. There have been no Cup-winning teams since the lockout with such poor numbers in those categories. However, they nearly met the benchmark for performance against elite teams, winning 10 of 21 games. That said, they lost all four regular-season games versus the Blues, their first-round matchup, and they lost three of four against the Canucks.

Left out: Nashville, New Jersey Devils, Washington Capitals

The Predators have a shot differential of minus-3.2 per game. Only one team has played in the Stanley Cup finals with such a poor regular-season shot differential, and that's the 2007-08 Penguins (minus-3.1). The Penguins didn't have a Pekka Rinne to offset the imbalance of shots. But then again, the Preds don't have a Crosby to will them to the finals.

The Devils' goal differential (0.13 per game) and lack of scoring punch (2.63 goals per game) will be a problem. However, they split the regular-season series with the Rangers, Flyers and Penguins, so favorable matchups could help them go deep in the playoffs.

The Caps sneaked into the playoffs despite meeting just one major benchmark. They allowed 30.5 shots per game (the benchmark is 31), but that's still too many when considering their shaky goaltending situation. However, there's just one reason to watch them. Against the top eight teams in the league, they were an even .500 -- including three wins in four games against the Bruins, their first-round matchup. They split the season series against the Predators, Rangers and Penguins while beating the Red Wings twice in two games.

That's too bad: Colorado Avalanche

The Avalanche are the highest-ranked team in the power meter to miss the playoffs. They landed here because they had just enough shots per game (31.5) and allowed just 29.6 shots per game, combined with some solid goaltending.

They are the only nonplayoff team with a positive shot differential, which is good news for seasons to come. That said, the young Avs were pummeled by the top eight teams in the league, losing 16 of 23 games.

Oh and GO WINGS

You are probably right in your assessment. My goal wasn't to convert people, but merely to get a base of people who believe in this team all together and on the same page. There is no converting the negative nancy people. What I can do though is motivate the people who are all in for the Wings.

Pretty much it. I'm the last thing from being a person that goes ZOMG PLAYER ABC sucks and ZOMG PLAYER XYZ is worthless or just obsessively hates players or panics like the sky is falling and I'm going to kill myself and this team is beyond repair. That's beyond aggravating like the poster below you said. However the holier than thou people aggravate me just as much if you can't be even a shred of negative in a realistic way like you said.

Can the Wings advance this series? Yes they can.

Do I think they will? No.

Do I want them to prove me wrong? Without question.

Does any of this above make me any less of a fan? No, and nobody better suggest to me otherwise because I don't want to hear it and you are likely going to be full of b.s.

I'm going to watch every game rooting for them to pull through hoping that I am incorrect. And if I'm not, am I going to come on here and tell people I told you so? Absolutely not, that's not my style and it's pretty much acting like an a**hole there.

Hopefully the holier than thou cheerleaders on here will do the same if they win and advance - keeping their mouths shut and getting over any ego they might have.

I like this attitude.

I am a Ferris State Bulldogs fan, and I didn't think they were going to win the game against BC. Did I want them to prove me wrong? Absolutely.

What you point out is what every fan naturally does. Most are realists, like myself.

No fan should be coming onto forums and saying how "They told you so". I would never do that when it came to the Bulldogs or the Red Wings. As you said, that is acting like an asshat, and IMHO, real fans don't do that to their team.