• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NBCnothingbutcrosby

Dan Cleary openly admits to being at 50%

Rate this topic

Come on Babs, you're the same guy that had the balls to pull Hasek for Osgood during a round 1 series. Don't tell me you can't do the same with a 50% Dan Cleary. Well, not pull him for Osgood but when I think about it, maybe even Osgood would be more effective than a 50% Cleary at this point.

I'm no Cleary hater at all, but I just don't see anything he is providing right now that can't be provided by Conner.

Conner played great for us when he was up, not really sure why we didn't bring him back up when he got healthy.

If Cleary is saying that he is only at 50% then why on earth even play.He won't be to any use on the ice one bit. I'm really hoping Babs uses his brain and shuts down Cleary for the rest of the year. At the end of the day Cleary is just going to end up hurting us in the long run

Does anyoneknow exactly what is wrong with his knee and when it got that way? It's likely the recovery time on whatever surgery he needs would have kept him out the remainder of the season had he gotten it. That being said, and watching him play this second half, i really feel like the team would be better off with conner or mursak because our team really needs to be faster in order to deal with the preds.

The Wings always give their veterans an opportunity, for better or for worse.

It's not the perfect comparison but they let Hasek play those games out until he was hopefully convinced himself that he wasn't helping the team. Uwe Krupp f***ed up in the two losses against Vancouver in 2002 and then they benched him. I don't know if I would follow that protocol myself but it's just the way they do business.

Hopefully he can contribute. Looks like he's going to play Game 1 no matter what. If he can't be effective then hopefully the Wings rest him.

Not sure what my opinion is right now. Its good to hear he's committed and all, but as others have said, it would have been better if he had been just sitting out getting healed up instead of dragging ass all season just to get to playoffs at 50%. I wish we could replace him, especially since its now common knowledge that he will be little help due to his injury, but the team can only stand to have so many AHLERs. As much as it sucks to have these injured or otherwise useless players in, I can understand managements apprehension to replace them.

Pretty much on the fence with Cleary as well, speaking strictly of his health/lack thereof and how in general people will play with a broken leg in the playoffs. I think he should be on a short leash though. Not because I don't think he is capable, but again solely because of health and guys like Conner and Mursak hopefully providing some speed/energy, even if it doesn't affect the stat sheet much.

Given who created the topic though and his frequency of posting about this topic in an irritating way, it makes this thread pretty aggravating as well.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Steve Yzerman at 50% was better than 80% of the league at 100%.

As for Cleary, he probably gets a lot of pressure from Babcock. If the guy can skate and isn't playing Babcock is poking him in the media. Talking about how he's skating but apparently isn't ready and almost seems to be down on the guys who try and get to a place where they can be effective. It's understandable that a coach wants a full bench but Babs seems determined to grind anyone down who isn't playing. So put a good deal of blame on Babs. If the coach has a beef with you he'll bury you.

Honestly, why wasn't he sitting before the playoffs to get healthy? Makes no sense. Cleary's one of my favorite players when healthy, but he's been painful to watch for the last few months.

Love the heart, but come on, man...

Edited by Trapt1307

Face it dude, Dan Cleary is all-heart, no matter how ineffective he is, he's still playing his heart out on the ice. You'll have to get over the fact that he stole your Social Security Number before you were even born. We know he is not producing, so ***** about the coaching not recognizing this and calling someone up from GR. Holy bitchfest, Batman.

Red Wings forward Dan Cleary may only be at 50% due to his troublesome left knee, but he’s completely committed to being in the lineup for the playoffs.

Cleary practiced today after missing the final two games of the regular season. It was clear he was still in pain. “Yeah,” Cleary said. “Nothing I can really do. The rest helps a lot to bring down the swelling, but once you get back on the ice, it’s pretty sore.”

Cleary said he takes pain medication when he plays, but not when he practices.

“I’m going to play for sure,” Cleary said. “When you practice, there’s no pain reliever involved. It feels a little better in the game.”

How effective can he be?

“Mentally, I’m just going to have to find a way to get through it,” Cleary said. “Do the best I can and try to contribute. Try to be a factor.”

When asked to put a percentage on his health, he said “50 (percent) probably.”..

(read article for rest of the story)

WTF??? Can anyone tell me what pain meds are authorized for use during competition? If this is opiate pain medication, he has no reason being on the ice. He is not only risking the play on the ice, he is risking himself in general. I would consider full contact professional hockey to be about 15 clicks up from driving on the dangerous scale and you arent allowed to drive while under the influence of narcotics.

I seriously hope this isnt a typo because if it isnt there is a whole string of people responsible if he is seriously injured by a hit while playing and they cleared him to play knowing he was drugged.

WTF??? Can anyone tell me what pain meds are authorized for use during competition? If this is opiate pain medication, he has no reason being on the ice. He is not only risking the play on the ice, he is risking himself in general. I would consider full contact professional hockey to be about 15 clicks up from driving on the dangerous scale and you arent allowed to drive while under the influence of narcotics.

eh?

aleve_10399_4_(big)_.jpg

648_pd194705_1.jpg

Motrin-24.jpg

Cyclobenzaprine

Indomethacin

Diclofenac (maybe shouldnt count )

Gabapentin

Lidocaine patches

And others.

Edited by MDtizzle

eh?

Acetaminophen

Naproxen

Ibuprofen

Cyclobenzaprine

Indomethacin

Diclofenac (maybe shouldnt count )

Gabapentin

Lidocaine patch

And others.

Ok so NSAIDs, topical numbing agents and cortisteroids. Im gonna assume that Pain medication in this context isnt Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Methadone or Buprenefin (the two latter being synthetics, Methadone being a opiate agonist and Bupe being an opiate antagonist although having the same opiate like effects).

BTW I have had to take these and others due to my medical issues also from Osteoarthritis and seeing that he quoted directly that he was take pain meds, made me think of the worst. Not saying he isnt considering the rampant abuse of oxy in general among Hockey players and just about everyone else in the modern world right now but I hope its more sedate medications.

Ok so NSAIDs, topical numbing agents and cortisteroids. Im gonna assume that Pain medication in this context isnt Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Methadone or Buprenefin (the two latter being synthetics, Methadone being a opiate agonist and Bupe being an opiate antagonist although having the same opiate like effects).

BTW I have had to take these and others due to my medical issues also from Osteoarthritis and seeing that he quoted directly that he was take pain meds, made me think of the worst. Not saying he isnt considering the rampant abuse of oxy in general among Hockey players and just about everyone else in the modern world right now but I hope its more sedate medications.

actually it was dumb to put the last 2 or 3 on the list i posted, but my point is that 'pain meds' doesn''t mean he's on oxycontin out there. although that would explain some things too.

all of the opiates above are synthetics, the latter 2 having way different purposes and he'd have to be on injured reserve before ever getting near those. Buprenorphine is usually used for detox-type situations

Edited by MDtizzle

actually it was dumb to put the last 2 or 3 on the list i posted, but my point is that 'pain meds' doesn''t mean he's on oxycontin out there. although that would explain some things too.

all of the opiates above are synthetics, the latter 2 having way different purposes and he'd have to be on injured reserve before ever getting near those. Buprenorphine is usually used for detox-type situations

Bupe is definitely used for detox but it also has the same pain killing effects as oxy, hydrocone or methadone. The only reason why it is used for detox is that since it is an Opiate Antagonist, ingestion of a comparable amount of an opiate will cancel each other out causing immediate withdrawal. For someone that isnt taking opiates, that would be a very effective pain killer and would also stay offthe radar of almost every drug test.

Methadone is a common pain killer for chronic long term pain not just detox. The well known use is for heroin substitution but consider why its used... It provides the body with the opiate feel but without the high from heroin or oxy. Methadone is a miracle drug for killing pain without getting you high and would probably be used heavily in sports medicine if it was allowed. Remember the history of Methadone, it was developed by the Germans during WW2 because they didnt have access to opiates and needed a pain killer for soldiers.

Excuse me for my freakout, when I see someone saying they are taking PAIN MEDICATION I figure it is something well beyond Naproxin or the like.

Edited by Cali-Wing-Nut

Says he's going to play... WTF. You're at 50% you fricken moron, you're doing more harm than good!!!! I'm livid.

Blaming Cleary for playing is like blaming your teal 94 Ford Taurus with 192,000 miles logged for stalling on your trip from Detroit to San Diego. It's really trying, but how much do you expect it to produce under that condition?

Says he's going to play... WTF. You're at 50% you fricken moron, you're doing more harm than good!!!! I'm livid.

haha

Fricken moron Cleary! Grrrrrrr he makes me livid! Why doesnt he just go over the coaches head and sit himself??? honestly....I hate guys who nut up and power through injuries when the coaches ask them to play on it! Those guys are the worst! Lets trade all our injured players for someone decent like Gomez....guys who r injured always play so crappy....i wonder why? lets just buy Cleary out already

I love that Cleary has the never say die attitude like others have mentioned here, but with his knee only being 50% he will be even slower than he already was. What is Babcock thinking? We must have someone that can come up in his place, and if we don't, then what was Holland thinking knowing about this injury before trade deadline?

If he's only taking them for games and not practices, I'm guessing that it's something strong. He probably does the standard NSAIDs for regular life and something stronger (hydro, oxy, whatever) for games.

If he's taking, say for example, 5/500 hydro for games, that's a pretty low dose and he would be fine to play without any bad side effects and if he's only taking it for games, the chance of addiction would be less than if they just give it to him and have him take it PRN.

I was on that dose before my back surgery. It works well, except it made my already low blood sugar drop. Chocolate for medicinal purposes! What a concept!

If he needs something stronger, I'm sure it is closely supervised. People tend to freak out over opiates, but they have perfectly good medicinal value when used correctly.

although i posted the original non-opioid thing, I agree with you- but its not a sure thing. When i was on percocet after my ankle surgery it didnt affect me too much. helped keep the pain down so i could sleep or function otherwise.

If he's only taking them for games and not practices, I'm guessing that it's something strong. He probably does the standard NSAIDs for regular life and something stronger (hydro, oxy, whatever) for games.

If he's taking, say for example, 5/500 hydro for games, that's a pretty low dose and he would be fine to play without any bad side effects and if he's only taking it for games, the chance of addiction would be less than if they just give it to him and have him take it PRN.

I was on that dose before my back surgery. It works well, except it made my already low blood sugar drop. Chocolate for medicinal purposes! What a concept!

If he needs something stronger, I'm sure it is closely supervised. People tend to freak out over opiates, but they have perfectly good medicinal value when used correctly.