• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#21 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

I admit the warrior mentality, and Cleary deserves props for this. However, he's not an Yzerman. When he's on the ice injured he's not contributing. Babcock needs to rest him because he doesn't help the lineup injured. Maybe he can play when he's 80%.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#22 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

The more I think about it the more I feel as though eaves is a huge part of this team that we are missing. Imagine if we had that one more guy to take the pressure off on the PK and take some of the wear and tear of the bottom guys. Maybe keep Z and dats off the PK and cleary could have gotten healthy. He's just such a utility guy that is in my mind sorely missed. with eaves in the lineup this season we could have been in a much better spot going into the playoffs.

#23 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

why didnt he stay out of the lineup during regular season to get 100%?

#24 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

My only problem with revealing this information about him only 50%, now every team knows too :unsure: <_<

Edited by Hockeymom1960, 09 April 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#25 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

This is dumb. I appreciate Cleary's attitude, but this is the playoffs we're talking about - we need the best men for the job, and that's that. I don't think it would affect Cleary's confidence if they sat him. It's no knock on his playing abilities when he's healthy - he's just injured and needs to heal.

I get that the team is more used to playing with Cleary on it, and it's an advantage to know your teammates' style and have some chemistry going into these important games, but considering how his line has played this year, it seems like it'd be more of an advantage at this point to bring someone in like Conner who has NHL experience and is 100% healthy.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#26 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

why didnt he stay out of the lineup during regular season to get 100%?

He won't be 100% until he has surgery, unfortunately, which is scheduled for the off-season.

#27 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

Come on Babs, you're the same guy that had the balls to pull Hasek for Osgood during a round 1 series. Don't tell me you can't do the same with a 50% Dan Cleary. Well, not pull him for Osgood but when I think about it, maybe even Osgood would be more effective than a 50% Cleary at this point.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#28 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

I'm no Cleary hater at all, but I just don't see anything he is providing right now that can't be provided by Conner.

Conner played great for us when he was up, not really sure why we didn't bring him back up when he got healthy.
Posted Image

#29 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Gotta be honest, I'm not thrilled about this. Dan Cleary at 50% lost us some games. In the playoffs, it'll be worse. My prediction of one and done is looking more probable.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#30 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

If Cleary is saying that he is only at 50% then why on earth even play.He won't be to any use on the ice one bit. I'm really hoping Babs uses his brain and shuts down Cleary for the rest of the year. At the end of the day Cleary is just going to end up hurting us in the long run
IPB Image

#31 LidstromIsASuperhero

LidstromIsASuperhero

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Does anyoneknow exactly what is wrong with his knee and when it got that way? It's likely the recovery time on whatever surgery he needs would have kept him out the remainder of the season had he gotten it. That being said, and watching him play this second half, i really feel like the team would be better off with conner or mursak because our team really needs to be faster in order to deal with the preds.

#32 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

The Wings always give their veterans an opportunity, for better or for worse.

It's not the perfect comparison but they let Hasek play those games out until he was hopefully convinced himself that he wasn't helping the team. Uwe Krupp f***ed up in the two losses against Vancouver in 2002 and then they benched him. I don't know if I would follow that protocol myself but it's just the way they do business.

Hopefully he can contribute. Looks like he's going to play Game 1 no matter what. If he can't be effective then hopefully the Wings rest him.

#33 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Not sure what my opinion is right now. Its good to hear he's committed and all, but as others have said, it would have been better if he had been just sitting out getting healed up instead of dragging ass all season just to get to playoffs at 50%. I wish we could replace him, especially since its now common knowledge that he will be little help due to his injury, but the team can only stand to have so many AHLERs. As much as it sucks to have these injured or otherwise useless players in, I can understand managements apprehension to replace them.

Pretty much on the fence with Cleary as well, speaking strictly of his health/lack thereof and how in general people will play with a broken leg in the playoffs. I think he should be on a short leash though. Not because I don't think he is capable, but again solely because of health and guys like Conner and Mursak hopefully providing some speed/energy, even if it doesn't affect the stat sheet much.

Given who created the topic though and his frequency of posting about this topic in an irritating way, it makes this thread pretty aggravating as well.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 09 April 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#34 One4TheWings

One4TheWings

"dc"

• Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Steve Yzerman at 50% was better than 80% of the league at 100%.

As for Cleary, he probably gets a lot of pressure from Babcock. If the guy can skate and isn't playing Babcock is poking him in the media. Talking about how he's skating but apparently isn't ready and almost seems to be down on the guys who try and get to a place where they can be effective. It's understandable that a coach wants a full bench but Babs seems determined to grind anyone down who isn't playing. So put a good deal of blame on Babs. If the coach has a beef with you he'll bury you.
4G1V3N

#35 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Frustrating topic

#36 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

Honestly, why wasn't he sitting before the playoffs to get healthy? Makes no sense. Cleary's one of my favorite players when healthy, but he's been painful to watch for the last few months.

Love the heart, but come on, man...

Edited by Trapt1307, 09 April 2012 - 09:50 PM.

"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#37 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

Face it dude, Dan Cleary is all-heart, no matter how ineffective he is, he's still playing his heart out on the ice. You'll have to get over the fact that he stole your Social Security Number before you were even born. We know he is not producing, so ***** about the coaching not recognizing this and calling someone up from GR. Holy bitchfest, Batman.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#38 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Red Wings forward Dan Cleary may only be at 50% due to his troublesome left knee, but he’s completely committed to being in the lineup for the playoffs.

Cleary practiced today after missing the final two games of the regular season. It was clear he was still in pain. “Yeah,” Cleary said. “Nothing I can really do. The rest helps a lot to bring down the swelling, but once you get back on the ice, it’s pretty sore.”

Cleary said he takes pain medication when he plays, but not when he practices.

“I’m going to play for sure,” Cleary said. “When you practice, there’s no pain reliever involved. It feels a little better in the game.”

How effective can he be?

“Mentally, I’m just going to have to find a way to get through it,” Cleary said. “Do the best I can and try to contribute. Try to be a factor.”

When asked to put a percentage on his health, he said “50 (percent) probably.”..
(read article for rest of the story)

WTF??? Can anyone tell me what pain meds are authorized for use during competition? If this is opiate pain medication, he has no reason being on the ice. He is not only risking the play on the ice, he is risking himself in general. I would consider full contact professional hockey to be about 15 clicks up from driving on the dangerous scale and you arent allowed to drive while under the influence of narcotics.

I seriously hope this isnt a typo because if it isnt there is a whole string of people responsible if he is seriously injured by a hit while playing and they cleared him to play knowing he was drugged.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#39 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

Love the Cleary out there when he's on... but seriously everyone if he's barely feeling 50%" heading in to this then why not oh I dont know... TATAR! Just sayin' there are better options at this point.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#40 MDtizzle

MDtizzle

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

WTF??? Can anyone tell me what pain meds are authorized for use during competition? If this is opiate pain medication, he has no reason being on the ice. He is not only risking the play on the ice, he is risking himself in general. I would consider full contact professional hockey to be about 15 clicks up from driving on the dangerous scale and you arent allowed to drive while under the influence of narcotics.

eh?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Cyclobenzaprine
Indomethacin
Diclofenac (maybe shouldnt count )
Gabapentin
Lidocaine patches
And others.

Edited by MDtizzle, 09 April 2012 - 11:12 PM.