Naproxen
Ibuprofen
Cyclobenzaprine
Indomethacin
Diclofenac (maybe shouldnt count )
Gabapentin
Lidocaine patch

And others.

Ok so NSAIDs, topical numbing agents and cortisteroids. Im gonna assume that Pain medication in this context isnt Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Methadone or Buprenefin (the two latter being synthetics, Methadone being a opiate agonist and Bupe being an opiate antagonist although having the same opiate like effects).

BTW I have had to take these and others due to my medical issues also from Osteoarthritis and seeing that he quoted directly that he was take pain meds, made me think of the worst. Not saying he isnt considering the rampant abuse of oxy in general among Hockey players and just about everyone else in the modern world right now but I hope its more sedate medications.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#42 MDtizzle

MDtizzle

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

Ok so NSAIDs, topical numbing agents and cortisteroids. Im gonna assume that Pain medication in this context isnt Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Methadone or Buprenefin (the two latter being synthetics, Methadone being a opiate agonist and Bupe being an opiate antagonist although having the same opiate like effects).

BTW I have had to take these and others due to my medical issues also from Osteoarthritis and seeing that he quoted directly that he was take pain meds, made me think of the worst. Not saying he isnt considering the rampant abuse of oxy in general among Hockey players and just about everyone else in the modern world right now but I hope its more sedate medications.

actually it was dumb to put the last 2 or 3 on the list i posted, but my point is that 'pain meds' doesn''t mean he's on oxycontin out there. although that would explain some things too.

all of the opiates above are synthetics, the latter 2 having way different purposes and he'd have to be on injured reserve before ever getting near those. Buprenorphine is usually used for detox-type situations

Edited by MDtizzle, 09 April 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#43 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

actually it was dumb to put the last 2 or 3 on the list i posted, but my point is that 'pain meds' doesn''t mean he's on oxycontin out there. although that would explain some things too.

all of the opiates above are synthetics, the latter 2 having way different purposes and he'd have to be on injured reserve before ever getting near those. Buprenorphine is usually used for detox-type situations

Bupe is definitely used for detox but it also has the same pain killing effects as oxy, hydrocone or methadone. The only reason why it is used for detox is that since it is an Opiate Antagonist, ingestion of a comparable amount of an opiate will cancel each other out causing immediate withdrawal. For someone that isnt taking opiates, that would be a very effective pain killer and would also stay offthe radar of almost every drug test.

Methadone is a common pain killer for chronic long term pain not just detox. The well known use is for heroin substitution but consider why its used... It provides the body with the opiate feel but without the high from heroin or oxy. Methadone is a miracle drug for killing pain without getting you high and would probably be used heavily in sports medicine if it was allowed. Remember the history of Methadone, it was developed by the Germans during WW2 because they didnt have access to opiates and needed a pain killer for soldiers.

Excuse me for my freakout, when I see someone saying they are taking PAIN MEDICATION I figure it is something well beyond Naproxin or the like.

Edited by Cali-Wing-Nut, 09 April 2012 - 11:37 PM.

I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#44 ValpoHockey

ValpoHockey

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

Says he's going to play... WTF. You're at 50% you fricken moron, you're doing more harm than good!!!! I'm livid.

Blaming Cleary for playing is like blaming your teal 94 Ford Taurus with 192,000 miles logged for stalling on your trip from Detroit to San Diego. It's really trying, but how much do you expect it to produce under that condition?

#45 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Says he's going to play... WTF. You're at 50% you fricken moron, you're doing more harm than good!!!! I'm livid.

haha

Fricken moron Cleary! Grrrrrrr he makes me livid! Why doesnt he just go over the coaches head and sit himself??? honestly....I hate guys who nut up and power through injuries when the coaches ask them to play on it! Those guys are the worst! Lets trade all our injured players for someone decent like Gomez....guys who r injured always play so crappy....i wonder why? lets just buy Cleary out already

#46 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm rather interested re: his pain med(s).

(Not being sarcastic. I live with an assload of pain and I'm always curious to know how other folks in similar boats deal.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#47 ace76

ace76

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

I love that Cleary has the never say die attitude like others have mentioned here, but with his knee only being 50% he will be even slower than he already was. What is Babcock thinking? We must have someone that can come up in his place, and if we don't, then what was Holland thinking knowing about this injury before trade deadline?

#48 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

If he's only taking them for games and not practices, I'm guessing that it's something strong. He probably does the standard NSAIDs for regular life and something stronger (hydro, oxy, whatever) for games.

If he's taking, say for example, 5/500 hydro for games, that's a pretty low dose and he would be fine to play without any bad side effects and if he's only taking it for games, the chance of addiction would be less than if they just give it to him and have him take it PRN.

I was on that dose before my back surgery. It works well, except it made my already low blood sugar drop. Chocolate for medicinal purposes! What a concept!

If he needs something stronger, I'm sure it is closely supervised. People tend to freak out over opiates, but they have perfectly good medicinal value when used correctly.

#49 MDtizzle

MDtizzle

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

although i posted the original non-opioid thing, I agree with you- but its not a sure thing. When i was on percocet after my ankle surgery it didnt affect me too much. helped keep the pain down so i could sleep or function otherwise.

If he's only taking them for games and not practices, I'm guessing that it's something strong. He probably does the standard NSAIDs for regular life and something stronger (hydro, oxy, whatever) for games.

If he's taking, say for example, 5/500 hydro for games, that's a pretty low dose and he would be fine to play without any bad side effects and if he's only taking it for games, the chance of addiction would be less than if they just give it to him and have him take it PRN.

I was on that dose before my back surgery. It works well, except it made my already low blood sugar drop. Chocolate for medicinal purposes! What a concept!

If he needs something stronger, I'm sure it is closely supervised. People tend to freak out over opiates, but they have perfectly good medicinal value when used correctly.

#50 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Dan Clearly will step up and be clutch. He's out there to win and no doubt he will put everything on the line to win.

Guy has heart!

#51 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Dan Clearly will step up and be clutch. He's out there to win and no doubt he will put everything on the line to win.

Guy has heart!

probably not....

Hope I'm wrong though
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#52 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

If Dan Cleary is in the lineup, it is because the coaching staff wishes for it to be so.

#53 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:24 AM

Dan Cleary has had some money goals in the playoffs before. I wouldn't be so quick to sit him.

#54 ace76

ace76

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

I have always thought Cleary was a good grinder, I'm just concerned that he won't be able to keep pace and the preds will skate circles around him that's all.

#55 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Babcock said he hasn't decided on Cleary being in the lineup tonight yet. If Cleary's out, it's either Goose or Emmerton in his spot.

https://twitter.com/#!/DetroitRedWings/status/190126295479361537

Babcock said he still hasn't made a decision on Cleary. Says Sheahan, Mursak and Conner will be healthy scratches.

https://twitter.com/#!/AnsarKhanMLive/status/190126572517330944

Babcock said Conner, mursak and sheahan out up front. Hasn't decided between Nyquist and emmerton.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#56 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Babcock said he hasn't decided on Cleary being in the lineup tonight yet. If Cleary's out, it's either Goose or Emmerton in his spot.

Just saw that as well. I hope if Cleary is out he puts Nyquist in.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#57 NBCnothingbutcrosby

NBCnothingbutcrosby

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Finally Babcock is looking into making a sound decision by keeping Nyquist in and Cleary out
Not now chief, I'm in the zone.

#58 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

This guy should be out on IR 30 games ago to get fixed! Cleary is completely ineffective while playing on one leg, and hes gonna get steamrolled in his condition in the playoffs, despite his never say die attitude. He aint no Stevie Y!

that's exactly what i was thinking. for Cleary, why the hell didn't he get his knee fixed when it first started bugging him? he's been terrible this season cause he's always injured. if we can go without Dats for a month to get his knee fixed, we can go without Cleary for however long he needs. i think it's irresponsible on both parts, Cleary and the Wings med staff to even let the guy lace up the skates with the problems he has. and he's for damn sure no Stevie Y! he doesn't win a conn smythe on 1 leg, he helps the Wings get knocked out in the 2nd round again because they don't ice "the best Wings team possible"

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#59 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

there's actually a decision to be made between Emmerton and Nyquist? :rotflmao:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#60 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

that's exactly what i was thinking. for Cleary, why the hell didn't he get his knee fixed when it first started bugging him? he's been terrible this season cause he's always injured. if we can go without Dats for a month to get his knee fixed, we can go without Cleary for however long he needs. i think it's irresponsible on both parts, Cleary and the Wings med staff to even let the guy lace up the skates with the problems he has. and he's for damn sure no Stevie Y! he doesn't win a conn smythe on 1 leg, he helps the Wings get knocked out in the 2nd round again because they don't ice "the best Wings team possible"

This assumes that Cleary wasn't asked to continue playing.

Finally Babcock is looking into making a sound decision by keeping Nyquist in and Cleary out

You'd be best off simply pressing charges against Cleary for whatever it is that he did to you.