• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

I have to say this, I hated on Cleary as being worthless with the injury because he was. In the playoffs he has been effective at half strength. I think if he can heal he should be kept around.

HOWEVER!!!!

However, it is clear that Cleary should have not played at all the last month plus and healed as much as possible. If he was going to hold back until now, it would have been better if he could have mended more.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#102 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Moving to one of the top 2 lines now too. Love the idea.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#103 NBCnothingbutcrosby

NBCnothingbutcrosby

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

Attached File  Cleary SUCKS.jpg   72.95KB   63 downloads
Not now chief, I'm in the zone.

#104 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

Attached File  Cleary SUCKS.jpg   72.95KB   63 downloads

Posted Image
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#105 brandon27

brandon27

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

Even at only 50% he's been playing better than most of our guys who are at 100% healthwise... ridiculous.
Posted Image

#106 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

"Listen, I tried as hard as I could," he said. "I did everything I could. It's hard playing on one leg. I walked with a limp since November. So the games were really hard."

Cleary, 33, said the surgery will take care of "significant issues -- tears, loose cartilage, bone-on-bone, lot of fluid. The buildup of fluid was a major issue. I'm hoping to get it resolved."

Cleary has become, as general manager Ken Holland put it, "a Red Wing," meaning Cleary is looked upon as part of the team's core fabric, someone who sets a positive example for the younger players. He also is counted on for scoring, and his 12 goals and 33 points in the regular season were far below expectations. He has had some big performances in the playoffs, and his inability to really be a factor this season hurt the Wings against the Predators.

When he spoke about the situation last week as the Wings cleaned out their lockers, Cleary said that in hindsight, he should have had surgery in November; at that time, even with the standard 6-8 weeks of recovery, he would have been back around the All-Star break.

Instead, he'll have four months to recover and rehabilitate. His sense of humor, at least, has not been impaired; when a TV reporter asked Cleary if there was a chance he might not play again, Cleary laughed and said: "That's a little drastic."

http://www.freep.com...5/1053/sports05

#107 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:01 AM

Cleary has surgery

Next season already looks a whole lot brighter for Red Wings forward Danny Cleary .

After enduring almost an entire season of knee pain, Cleary underwent surgery Tuesday on his damaged left knee, general manager Ken Holland said.

Cleary, who had floating debris removed and torn cartilage repaired, "will be ready for camp," Holland said.

Cleary had 33 points (12 goals) in 75 games, averaging just under 16 minutes.

"It's hard to play with one leg," Cleary said after the season ended. "I tried as hard as I could and gave it all I can."

Cleary, who walked with a pronounced limp since November, also suffered broken ribs late in the exhibition season.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitne...2#ixzz1uMDWJKr3

So he's had his knee surgery. Does he have any other injuries?

#108 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

It's absolutely incredible that Cleary played 75 games with broken ribs at first, followed by a torn up knee. Yeah his production wasn't good, but when Pav, Lids, Helm, etc. where out of the lineup, it's good to see a veteran gutting it out and steadying the boat. What a team guy.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#109 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

It's absolutely incredible that Cleary played 75 games with broken ribs at first, followed by a torn up knee. Yeah his production wasn't good, but when Pav, Lids, Helm, etc. where out of the lineup, it's good to see a veteran gutting it out and steadying the boat. What a team guy.

I agree but they can't continue to utilize him like that. It's great that he's willing to sacrifice his body but the team could have really benefitted from someone else with is more free to play and can provide more speed and energy.
  • Nev likes this

#110 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

I don't think his broken ribs would have bothered him all season. I've bust my ribs a couple of times, they don't take that long to heal, and they're not too painful except in certain situations. I doubt he would even have noticed them unless he got hit a certain way.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#111 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

I don't think his broken ribs would have bothered him all season. I've bust my ribs a couple of times, they don't take that long to heal, and they're not too painful except in certain situations. I doubt he would even have noticed them unless he got hit a certain way.

Maybe not, but you weren't playing hockey in the NHL either haha. I definitely don't think that bothered him for the whole season, but to come off that and then tear up a knee and only miss 7 games (three of which were in the last five games of the season suggests one gutty performance to me.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#112 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Really? Maybe it depends on the break, but I bruised some ribs a couple of times, and I recall that it hurt to breathe and move, especially when bending.

I suppose it depends on which ribs, how badly they were injured, etc. They did heal relatively quickly.

I can't imagine playing hockey in that condition. Danny's a warrior. No doubt about it.

(BTW, kipwinger, you're having a record day. I've plussed 3 of your posts already.)

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#113 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

Danny's a warrior. No doubt about it.

I can't deny that. Just wish he'd had the surgery during the regular season.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#114 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'm surprised that the OP, knowing where Cleary was for a day, didn't go after him.

#115 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

Danny's a warrior masochist. No doubt about it.

;)

But seriously, Dan's the man. (Though I can't help but feel he should've had the surgery earlier.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#116 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Really? Maybe it depends on the break, but I bruised some ribs a couple of times, and I recall that it hurt to breathe and move, especially when bending.

I suppose it depends on which ribs, how badly they were injured, etc. They did heal relatively quickly.

I can't imagine playing hockey in that condition. Danny's a warrior. No doubt about it.

(BTW, kipwinger, you're having a record day. I've plussed 3 of your posts already.)

Haha, well I've decided to avoid controversy and make all my posts fan friendly in order to pad my stats.

#117 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

I still have a cocktail of mixed emotions as I read, "Cleary has become, as general manager Ken Holland put it, "a Red Wing," meaning Cleary is looked upon as part of the team's core fabric."

To me, that means the Wings want to keep him for the rest of his career (Poor, poor NBC). I feel like the trend in Cleary's play really goes in huge waves. He's good for a while and then he gets hurt and then he's bad. It's the kind of trend that makes me think, 'I don't think I'd mind if he somehow priced himself out of Detroit after this year.' For 2012-2013, I feel like he'll bounce back in some ways; especially if he doesn't get injured in the beginning of the season.

However, with all these injuries to his knee and lower body in general, I mean, can he show the speed to keep up with today's game on a consistent, long-term basis? We can expect him to give his all and sacrifice his body for the team but it seems like that's it as far as qualitative measurement goes. I guess we'll see if he still has it in him to provide speed, forechecking, etc.