It sounds like Helmer is back! the mvp of our bottom 6

BOLD PREDICTION: there will be Helm for Conn Smythe talk this year

#22 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

"It is time" implies that there was a chance to do so during the 2011 offseason. This unfortunately wasn't the case; it was the worst UFA crop in our lifetime.

No it doesn't.

Posted Image

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

No it doesn't.

Got it.

Edited by Crymson, 11 April 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm not sure what your meaning is when you say that we could have "easily" gotten Clarkson in the offseason. The guy's current contract began before free agency commenced in 2010, and, as far as I can remember, New Jersey never placed him on the trading block. Travis Moen was likewise already under contract during the 2011 offseason, and the Habs specifically noted that he was not on the table at the deadline.

I can't help but think that you're looking at Nystrom with goggles tinted by hindsight. He scored 16 goals this season, sure; but he had totaled 25 in his roughly 250 games before that; he was coming off of a rather unpleasant incident; and he had been waived by a Wild team that couldn't exactly be called deep in any fashion. More, the Wings had a rather extensive glut in the bottom six; Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Hudler, Mursak, Helm, Abdelkader, Eaves, Miller and Emmerton were all candidates for those lines. Too, acquiring Nystrom would have required waiving somebody, as the roster limit had been reached.

Well, part of making good moves is signing players no one else think will succeed. Kind of like Holland did with Cleary many years ago. You've gotta take chances sometimes to be a step ahead of other teams. Someone took a chance on Nystrom, and it paid off.

Plus, some of those "so-called" bottom six players are interchangeable. However, we don't have any player like a Clarkson or Moen. Abby is sort of like Nystrom I guess.

But guys like Nyquist, Hudler and Holmstrom aren't really bottom six players. They need to play with more skilled players to be effective. But frequently, they're just thrown on the bottom lines and that's why those bottom lines have no identity.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#25 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Well, part of making good moves is signing players no one else think will succeed. Kind of like Holland did with Cleary many years ago. You've gotta take chances sometimes to be a step ahead of other teams. Someone took a chance on Nystrom, and it paid off.

Plus, some of those "so-called" bottom six players are interchangeable. However, we don't have any player like a Clarkson or Moen. Abby is sort of like Nystrom I guess.

But guys like Nyquist, Hudler and Holmstrom aren't really bottom six players. They need to play with more skilled players to be effective. But frequently, they're just thrown on the bottom lines and that's why those bottom lines have no identity.

There's no guarantee that Nystrom would have succeeded in Detroit.

#26 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Cleary and Emmerton shouldn't be playing. Period.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#27 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

Cleary was awesome tonight! Emmerton absolute garbage

#28 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

Did Emmerton even play. I never saw him leave the bench. Cleary actually looked decent

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#29 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

If you think that Cleary shouldn't have played, then I've got to believe that you didn't watch the game.

Emmerton was in because his presence allowed Abdelkader to play the wing.