• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Shea Weber fined for Zetterberg "headslam"

Rate this topic

The NHL is a huge joke, granted even after the hit I would love to see Webber in a Wings jersey. But it should be a game suspension at least. Now if the Wings can steal game 2 and bring it home, that's the best revenge. Guys are gonna have to start getting physical, or the wings are gonna have to score on the powerplay. They will run is until we are all injured, why not, not like we score on the powerplay. Until we do that, or get physical, looking at you Franzen, Bertuzzi, Abby, Big E, Stuart, Quincy they will play Smashville hockey, can't blame the Preds for that, its up to the Wings to turn this around fast. Get Physical or Score with the extra man its really that simple.

Um . . . They did. They went 2 for 8 (not counting the two Nashville penalties with less than 30 seconds left in the game).

25% on the powerplay is great.

Too bad we dont have a street justice type on this team.

I never advocate intentionally trying to injure a player, however if the NHL refuses to protect their players then its time for someone on this team to step up and send the message.

We dont have a single guy on this team that is willing to protect his team mates, and that is how you beat the Wings.

Shanny is a corporate kiss ass like Campbell before him, and so it goes.

If the Wings dont send a message by playing determined, physical hockey in game 2 this series is over. Its time for Bert and Kronner to lay some fools out. *** for tat, Holmqvist and Legawand better have their heads up this next game.

Do you think Shanahan had to not suspend because if he did, everyone would cry that he is playing favorites with his former team?

Also, Weber is an idiot... earlier in game when he drew a penalty on Franzen, it was a total act job... Franzen put his hand near his upper body/neck area... and 10 seconds after that Weber's head flew back like he got hit in the face. Total act job.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/04/red_wings_henrik_zetterberg_fe_1.html

This league is a joke sans punchline. Pathetic. Shanahan fines him peanuts and then says "but NEXT TIME, boy will he be in trouble". Shanny, I've lost all faith in you.

Zetterberg said he was mad after the hit, which cracked his helmet in two places

I find it very hard to believe his helmet was cracked in two places. Sounds like an ad-lib by a reporter.

Maybe his visor was cracked, which I could see...but those helmets are made to withstand much worse blows than that.

That doesn't matter. The league is the ultimate disciplinarian, be it a coach or a player who needs to be disciplined. Sending a message that a coach who verbally attacks opposing players gets a fine that is 8x more than a player who physically attacks opposing players is stupid, and downright dangerous.

No one out there (be it fan, player, or pundit) believes that the $2,500 is enough to "match the crime". If that's the case, and $2,500 is the maximum fine that can be levied, then a suspension needs to be assessed to pick up where the small fine leaves off.

I'm not arguing about what's fair. Players have a union/CBA. Coaches are considered management. Which means no union or CBA. Under the current CBA, $2,500 is the maximum Weber can be fined. It's not fair but it is what it is.

At first I was pissed off. But then I realized I was not surprised and knew this was exactly how it was going to play out. That's the NHL we live in and it won't change anytime soon as long as Bettman is in charge. But we've known this for years.

I find it very hard to believe his helmet was cracked in two places. Sounds like an ad-lib by a reporter.

Maybe his visor was cracked, which I could see...but those helmets are made to withstand much worse blows than that.

They are designed to crack to dissipate the force of the blow. Just like a motorcycle helmet. BTW, when they do crack thats the sign of a serious impact.

At first I was pissed off. But then I realized I was not surprised and knew this was exactly how it was going to play out. That's the NHL we live in and it won't change anytime soon as long as Bettman is in charge. But we've known this for years.

Wonder what would happen if someone went head hunting for Crosby?

I never advocate intentionally trying to injure a player, however if the NHL refuses to protect their players then its time for someone on this team to step up and send the message.

We dont have a single guy on this team that is willing to protect his team mates, and that is how you beat the Wings.

If the Wings dont send a message by playing determined, physical hockey in game 2 this series is over. Its time for Bert and Kronner to lay some fools out. *** for tat, Holmqvist and Legawand better have their heads up this next game.

I agree, we don't. That is part of why the wings are so banged up right now. They play hard all year. They take the hits & they deliver a few. They simply are not big enough people to dish what they dish & take what they take.

This is a Kenny's team. Kenny has jumped the shark! Come on Jimmy D. We need you right now to salvage the 2012 / 2013 season. Kenny is good, but fixing what we need fixed is not his strength.

I agree, we don't. That is part of why the wings are so banged up right now. They play hard all year. They take the hits & they deliver a few. They simply are not big enough people to dish what they dish & take what they take.

This is a Kenny's team. Kenny has jumped the shark! Come on Jimmy D. We need you right now to salvage the 2012 / 2013 season. Kenny is good, but fixing what we need fixed is not his strength.

Thats why I had posted before the playoffs that we need to bring Stevie Y home. I dont care if we win the cup, its time to bring him home.

Well, this just means Friday, Zetterberg will wind up and haul off and give Weber a mouth for of composite, right?

Really though, I wonder where Mike Ilitch is in all of this? This is a star player of his, he is definitely NHL royalty (Ilitch) so he should call out the NHL. I never hear an owner complain about anything the NHL rules on. This was obvious a blatant intent to injure and he gets fined $2500? Really? Weber farts $2500...

Without going through this thread, what was the reasoning behind just a fine? I am appalled by the league again, and again and again. This really means that it's ok to headhunt without fear of suspension. The worse part is, the game was over, it was already won, what did Weber gain by doing this? It was just a blatant intent to injure. It wasn't the heat heat of battle, it wasn't an accidental hit to the head. The game was over, the was not even a need for a pat on the ass, let alone a head into a turnbuckle type play... I am absolutely disgusted by the NHL yet is does not surprise me

While I agree with everything else you said, the two bold parts will NEVER happen...they'll just enforce with their powerplay and Playoff Franzen...

Hopefully Kronner will catch him with his head down. God, I miss Vladdy and McCarty sometimes. Not to mention Kocur.

I'm hoping that if Weber evades the Kronwall Express, Big Bert steps it up and throws down the gloves.

...actaully I want both to happen :hehe:

what a waste. the fine is the equivalent of fining me 14.67 for something i did. that is an amount so inconsequential it has no impact. similar to the clowe incident, the nhl is showing that it does not care about the douchebaggery that is taking over hockey. these guys obviously dont respect each other or the game, so the league needs to force them to respect it with harsh suspensions and not fining someone 1/300th of their salary...

I hope I haven't missed all the people calling for Shanny's head/him to be fired. Because I know I would hate to miss out on that kind of fun.

So the next puppet can take his place?

Shanny turned in his man card on this one, I hope its worth it to him.

So, here's what I'm thinking.

If WWF-esque "headslamming" is more or less ok, why not consider working it into our game? I mean, we may not be very physical, and we may tend to shy away from the rough stuff along the boards and in the corners - but that's sort of the point, really. It doesn't take an especially big frame, or GRIT!, or balls of steel, or fighting prowess, etc. to "headslam" a guy. So, hey: this could be The Great Equalizer for us with respect to hard-nosed physicality - and we don't have to waste a roster spot on an enforcer-type! :rockstar:

Edited by Dabura

what a waste. the fine is the equivalent of fining me 14.67 for something i did. that is an amount so inconsequential it has no impact. similar to the clowe incident, the nhl is showing that it does not care about the douchebaggery that is taking over hockey. these guys obviously dont respect each other or the game, so the league needs to force them to respect it with harsh suspensions and not fining someone 1/300th of their salary...

The league needs to fold. It wont even protect its assets. In all honesty, I hope after the lockout it does fold. I have been watching the NHL for 30+ years and I can tell you this league doesnt even resemble the hockey I grew up watching. Since the lockout Bettman and Co have completely ruined this game.

I hope they fold and the teams that actually make money form their own league. Betman and Lemeiux can have their own little league. One where no one makes any money and only Crosby is protected.