• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Shea Weber fined for Zetterberg "headslam"

Rate this topic

I find it very hard to believe his helmet was cracked in two places. Sounds like an ad-lib by a reporter.

Maybe his visor was cracked, which I could see...but those helmets are made to withstand much worse blows than that.

Oh yeah? Somehow I don't find it hard to believe it was your screen name attached to this post.

Hopefully Kronner will catch him with his head down. God, I miss Vladdy and McCarty sometimes. Not to mention Kocur.

If it's going to be an open-ice hit, it will have to be a forward. Defensemn rarely ever level other defensemen, just because defensmen usually play behind the puck and pass rather than lead a rush. It sometimes happens, but not much. And it's usually forwards battling defensemen behind the net, and we all know that we only have one forward that is capable of leveling Weber, and he's gun-shy. I doubt there will be any retaliation in game 2; this team is built to take all of the punishment, not to dish any out. Holland had his chance to get some tough 4th line players at the deadline -Matt Martin, Travis Moan?- but stood pat, as always.

Unleash Bertuzzi. If he reminds Weber what he's capable of, he erases the debt for what he did to Moore in my eyes.

I get what you are saying but to me it has already been erased. We can't afford to loose him. Unfortunately where will it come from?? Nowhere. That's not how the team is built.

I would prefer to struggle with Yzerman re-building the team then struggle KNOWING that Kenny isn't going to do what we need. How long is Yzerman's contract? This is not about the Wings going home early again, this is about not appreciating the same kind of team Kenny does.

Edited by pondrocket

Made me angry at first place and the response from the department of player player safety made me - as expected - more angry.

A 2'500$ fine for Weber is almost like 25$ for one of our kinds.. it's a joke. What does it have to do with "player safety" if they consider the fact that Zetterberg didn't get seriously injured, much stronger than that the whole act by Weber was purely done on purpose, 2 seconds before the whistle.

And wouldn't it be playoffs the rulebook would be interpreted differently anyways..

I have never been one to say "oh we need an enforcer, we need more size and hitting", but I think as this salary cap era goes on, that's exactly what the championship teams will be built on. It's sad. Who wants to watch 4 rounds of the crap we watched last night? I want to see star power on the ice. I don't want to see games grind for 60 minutes and the last flukey goal wins. That's boring. But that's exactly what this league is now.

The talent is spread out, and now its' about who has the better 3 and 4 lines. Look at what we were hoping for...HELM to come back and suddenly make this team the TEAM to beat. Come on. In the past a 3rd or 4th line player goes out and its no big deal. Today if one player is out it's a very big deal, no matter where it is in the lineup.

I'm losing interest in the NHL. I will always love the Wings, but my enthusiasm has waned since the salary cap.

Maybe its because we were spoiled, but I don't think so. I don't like the brand of hockey. On the surface it seems more exciting, but for the wrong reasons. Refs call penalties in favor of the team down 4-1, so those leads are never safe. The top 2 lines on each team usually cancel each otehr out, so it comes down to a grind fest.

I hate it. I want to see more flow to games and the more talented team winning. Yesterday was a joke. We should have won 2-1 last night.

If this was done to Crosby, who ever did that to him would be gone from the NHL for good and sent to a different country

In all seriousness, I would not be the least bit surprised if that player and its organization got no consideration from the NHL when it comes to anything. Season schedule (somehow they get the most back to backs in the league), not one favorable whistle, or somehow their ticket sales gradually go down and down. And that's probably just the tip of the iceberg.

I find it absolutely pathetic that when a good clean hit occurs (Kronwall leveling Havlet, hit in Rangers game at end of year), it gives players the right to cheap shot the guy who delivers a clean hit. Somehow the NHL applauds retaliatory acts (guy getting mad and smashing someone's head into glass), but seems to come down hard on cleaner non (or less)-intentional big hits (player leaves his feet, guy has head down causing head-first contact). Come on. Playing hockey at full speed, making split second decisions is one thing, but ignoring this goon-like behavior is absolutely appalling.

I find it very hard to believe his helmet was cracked in two places. Sounds like an ad-lib by a reporter.

Maybe his visor was cracked, which I could see...but those helmets are made to withstand much worse blows than that.

Watch the longer replay video again: near the end when Zetterberg is skating off and the NBC scoreboard is up on the screen, there is clearly a chunk taken out of the front-rightside of his helmet, above the visor.

I wish I had the time/energy to compile a montage video of hits that went un-suspended ala Lucic on Miller, Orpik's knee on Stephan, and Weber's shot to Zetterberg, versus hits that did result in a suspension, ala Smith's 8 games for an open-ice hit.

Watch the longer replay video again: near the end when Zetterberg is skating off and the NBC scoreboard is up on the screen, there is clearly a chunk taken out of the front-rightside of his helmet, above the visor.

Can someone find/post this?

If it's going to be an open-ice hit, it will have to be a forward. Defensemn rarely ever level other defensemen, just because defensmen usually play behind the puck and pass rather than lead a rush. It sometimes happens, but not much. And it's usually forwards battling defensemen behind the net, and we all know that we only have one forward that is capable of leveling Weber, and he's gun-shy. I doubt there will be any retaliation in game 2; this team is built to take all of the punishment, not to dish any out. Holland had his chance to get some tough 4th line players at the deadline -Matt Martin, Travis Moan?- but stood pat, as always.

Was just going to say this. A D on D hit is very unlikely to happen. Gonna have to look to someone else to do something. Franzen, Bert, Maybe Abdelkader. Unfortunately, Webber won't be Kronwalled.

I get what you are saying but to me it has already been erased. We can't afford to loose him. Unfortunately where will it come from?? Nowhere. That's not how the team is built.

I would prefer to struggle with Yzerman re-building the team then struggle KNOWING that Kenny isn't going to do what we need. How long is Yzerman's contract? This is not about the Wings going home early again, this is about not appreciating the same kind of team Kenny does.

Our bottom six players should draw straws for who will be the one to end Weber's season with a dirty hit from behind.

And Shanahan can forget about his number ever being in the rafters (not that it would have been anyway). He's suspended players all season for quick time collisions, but this obviously dirty and thought out play doesn't get a suspension. What a tool.